---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Yeah you probably could...I've actually found fish stuff at Michael's , or Home depot, or even Ikea!
Thing is the waterproof ones are a little better, sure water doesnt normally drip down the back of the tank but it can still happen , and by using the more expensive one (remember you'll only be buying it once ) from the LFS you'll have good color and it wont get damaged by the moisture.

Having said that, have a look in Michael's, I seem to remember you could buy paper from a roll, but even posterboard would work if they have large enough sheets. I've also heard of people using wrapping paper. I've used shiny cardboard before (although it reflects the algae as well as the fish and the plants!). As was said, the oil trick won't work if the backgrounds not laminated.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2007 02:39Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
Kudos: 2194
Votes: 19
female usa
Here's a thought... you could buy simple construction paper or the like and simply have it laminated. Still would be cheap enough... I can't imagine having something laminated would cost that much. Of course, I have access to a laminating machine so yeah.

~Meow. Thus spoke the cat.~
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2007 06:53Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Tina's Tank
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 6
Votes: 2
female canada
I am going to to a look-see at Micheal's and see what they have. The laminating idea sounds good too. I will be checking out the stores for specialty papers to see if they have any patterns that may be good as well.

I am going to take my time amaking a decision because I do not know how hard it is to take the background off once you have put it up and decided that you do no like it. Kind of like painting a room... and I have painted most of the walls in my house twice...

How hard is it to remove the backgrounds once up?

Here fishy... fishy.. Here fishy... fishy...
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2007 16:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

One guy on here said his kids occasionally pull up a corner, so it's probably not hard to remove. But someone who's actually done it will probably give their opinion.

Anyway, I'm thinking laminating something might run into some money. So if I had a paper background I would try Saran Wrap first. I would make sure it was a snug fit & then tape it in the back. That way you have a film between the oil or shampoo & it should save your paper from harm. This was just a quick thought, so not sure if there would be a drawback to that?

I've also heard of people using tin foil for a background.
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2007 19:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tina's Tank
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 6
Votes: 2
female canada
Great idea about the saran wrap

Here fishy... fishy.. Here fishy... fishy...
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2007 21:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I don't think the sran wrap would work, you would still likely get moisture damage.

As for removing an oiled background, very easy, the cleanup of the oil is a bit of work since you don't use cleaners near the tank , but it doesnt' all have to be removed if you're putting a different background on in the same manner. Only time it'd become a cleanup issue is if you were going without a background or if you were going to paint it.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2007 23:28Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
des_sniper
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 42
Votes: 11
male usa
EditedEdited by des_sniper
I have been told that a solution of Dawn saop and water will also work to glue a back ground in place. Never tried it myself. I like to paint my back ground with acrylic paints. This looks great after several coats in alternating directions. It looks plain and dull compaired to the printed plasctic backgrounds you get from the LFS. Too each his own on this one, but I just wanted to put out an alternate idea on backgrounds.

"There is also a Clown Pleco in this tank some where. I am telling you, HE IS IN HERE."
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 17:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
female usa
Oh! Good idea... for those without access to a laminating machine (or if it turns out to be costly) how about clear contact paper? It would have the same effect as heat-laminating if you left a small overhang to seal the two sides together.

You know, I'm really kind of excited about this idea now... I'm going to need a background for the new 55 gallon.

Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 22:16Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fishyfishy26
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 12
Votes: 0
female usa
So if you put vegetable oil or baby oil on the background it will stick to the tank with no tape or anything needed? The guy at the LFS told me to put some aqauarium sealant on the sides of the background, just a tad bit..but only problem is even though it dries clear you can still see it and my veryy pretty blue background turned into a dark grayish blue color, not as impressive as the color I paid for! Too bad the tank is already set up!
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2007 09:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
As silicone cures (sets) it gives off acidic acid fumes.
I suspect that is what ruined the pretty blue. I suspect
the fumes reacted with the inks.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2007 11:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
female usa
Fishyfish... I generally use the vaseline on the background, then just tape the edges to make sure it doesn't get pulled up. This is more simply as a preventative because I'm a klutz and tend to catch the background when I'm doing regular aquarium maintenance. Also, a long strip of clear packing tape or book tape along the top edge of the background will keep any drips from getting between the bg and the glass.

Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2007 02:19Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fishyfishy26
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 12
Votes: 0
female usa
I don't think the sealant had anything to do with it, tape does the same thing..its just that only the sides are reallly pressed up against the tank and the rest is not all the way pressed up against it and so oil helps the rest stick to the tank. Also it has to do with the way the water reflects the light back up, therefore creating a shadow effect below the water line. But oh well I'm not going to fool with it, its not the color I paid for but I'll make it work.
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2007 04:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mobeyjack
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 4
male usa
Another way to adhere a background to your aquarium is to spray a solution or 80% water 20% coca cola between the glass a film. Squeege the excess away, and when the water dries the sugar in the coke will act as a adhesive.
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2007 18:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies