AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Aquascaping
  L# Should I do this to the 5ft tank Now full tank photo & NEW DW added Part 1
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeShould I do this to the 5ft tank Now full tank photo & NEW DW added Part 1
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
I am thinking of pulling out this big rock 53cm X 10cm X 10cm. Behind it is a gap about 10-12cm and all the very large Anubias tied to small rocks to stop them floating.

About ever 6 months I take out the Anubias and do a very good deep gravel cleaning then trim up the plants then put them back again. Also behind the rock are two 4ins ceramic air stones still good as the day I bought them about 15 years ago.
This is also a hiding place for the Silver sharks and some of the CLs. At each end of this rock is a large cave these will NOT be pulled down.
I am thinking of getting several pieces of DW and tying the Anubias to them. If I can locate a good one piece of DW I will get that. I have plenty of smaller Anubias I can put in the front of the DW.
The main reason is to open it up more and allow me to do a better cleaning also see the CLs and the Silver Sharks more

I would like some constructive crits please.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Attached Image:

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Sep-2007 03:16Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I can see why you'd want to open it up a bit. I think a shallow arching piece of driftwood would be good. something that'd rise up off the substrate a bit and allow the loaches to get in underneith it is what I'm visualizing. I had a piece something like that in my old office tank back in the states and had java fern on it. If I wanted to do a good clean in the back of the tank I just had to move it forward or even remove it from the tank entirely. The barbs would spend their evenings in a dark corner and their days playing above it.

Since you're leaving the caves a branchy bit of wood may work to spread out the anubias then the wood could rest over the caves.

You've got a lot (from what I can see) of the anubias would all of them go onto the driftwood or just some of them?

^_^

Post InfoPosted 29-Sep-2007 08:12Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I would love a long arching piece of DW but the major prob would be moving it. Even setting it up would be near impossible BUT two smaller arching pieces would be excellent. I want to tie as much of the tall and big Anubias onto to DW and place the smaller Anubias in front on rocks as they are now.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 29-Sep-2007 08:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Sounds good to me keith!

I wish you luck!
Post InfoPosted 29-Sep-2007 17:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Moving it...that's true we'd be talking about a piece of driftwood that's almost as tall as I am I think you're right in that it'd be a bit difficult to move.

I'm still getting used to larger tanks. Before moving here the largest tank I had was the 30 long in the office.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 30-Sep-2007 01:21Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Here is the full tank photo clearly showing the caves at either end of the tank.

Look here for my

Keith

Attached Image:

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 30-Sep-2007 04:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

Ok.......now we're awaiting the after shot, when your done redecorating.
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2007 04:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Here are the three pieces of DW they could be Mangrove pieces as they are very heavy/dense which means they will sink very easily as a matter fact they are soaking now. I will leave them for at least a month and change the water weekly.
I did not expect to find them so easy just one LFS they had just received a supply in.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2007 07:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

Driftwood? Where is driftwood?
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2007 16:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I will try again I had a few probs posting photos yesterday.

Look here for my

Keith

Attached Image:

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 04:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
female usa

Wow.......good find on the driftwood!

Great looking lawn too.
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2007 15:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I have recently given the lawn its spring feeding hoping it will survive our summer.

Re the DW not very often you find exactly what you want first up.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 03-Oct-2007 05:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
Very nice pieces of DW. They'll be very beautiful decorated with Anubias. Do you have a picture of the new setup?.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2007 22:29Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I have taken photos of the various stages of the aquascape changes. I bought more DW today Wed and it will be soaking for 24 hrs as it is very clean

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2007 06:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies