L# Tree structures.
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTree structures.
tyler9999
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 22
Votes: 1
I am looking to put a tree/root structure in my tank. I am looking for any info on purchasing something or ideas of how to put something together. I would like to have it based in one of the back corners with the stump as support and roots coming out of the bottom so the whole structure is elevated for the fish to swim underneath. I dont know if I am in over my head with this idea or if it is plausable.
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2007 06:24Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
it id plausible. i think i understand what you are saying and it should work, but i would put an airstone under the stump t keep the water moving as stagnant waters can ruin water chemistry!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2007 09:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Not a problem go for it and make it look as natural possible as long as you have a gentle water flow through the snags it will look fantastic.

In nature plants grow in on and all around these structures.

Have fun selecting all the bits and pieces don't be too fussy just put in the main structures and fill the gaps in with the finer pieces.

If possible even have some come to the surface and above.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Nov-2007 11:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tyler9999
-----
Hobbyist
Are there any types of wood that I could get that can be submersed that are not bog wood? I am thinking that I would cut a ninety degree angle into the stump to base it is the corner and then I would have to build a root structure. I need some help with this one on materials and types of wood.
Thanks all!
Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2007 00:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
do not use any pines or cedar like trees. they have antural toxins that will soak into the water and kill the fish. your best bet is to find one or buy one. if you make a root sturcture it wont look very real... just go look arround at a local water system.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2007 03:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I would only buy DW from a LFS just spend some time and go on a LFS crawl. Don't expect to find it all at once and be prepared to cut some of it up. A small pruning saw is excellent for the job. Even just break it up too many saw cuts will spoil the total effect

Think of it as the major stump and the other pieces have fallen in from the bank or washed up against the existing snags. That means weaving some small bits and pieces through the main pieces to give it a more natural look.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Nov-2007 04:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tyler9999
-----
Hobbyist
I have recently started to sketch something up. When I have it together I will post some pictures. I am going to use bogwood and piece it together. I know that I will get mixed reactions on how realistic it will look, but short of going to
the Amazon and finding something that will work and getting it on a plane and then through customs....ya not so much. Build it and they will come.
Post InfoPosted 29-Nov-2007 07:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Will be interesting to see what you come up with .

Customs ya...not so much!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 30-Nov-2007 03:12Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
tyler9999
-----
Hobbyist
Well my landlord is a wood working enthusiast. trying to get some stuff together with random pieces of bog wood. I think that I am in for one hell of a go with this project... I am not sure of wood glues that are not going to be toxic. I am guessing that when I do find some it will be toxic to the health of my wallet. Oh well what can you do when you are addicted to something? And no I dont mean the glue! Lol!
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 04:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Aquarium grade silicone works, but it's somewhat flexible, you can try combining it with fishing line, then to hide the fishing line use java moss, or other plants.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 04:30Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Aquarium silicone will work but I would never use it. Here are the reasons you can guarantee as soon as it is all set up and the glued dried you will notice some thing you did not even thing of or even notice before.

I know it would be difficult but I would try to assemble it in the tank (naturally with out water) using a good strong fishing line 15lb would certainly do. If you go to a good sporting store you should be able to pick up coloured fishing line same colour as DW this will help a lot or a non reflective line But as Babel stated it can also be hidden by plants. The main reason the fishing line can be seen is the light reflecting of of the nylon line.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Dec-2007 08:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
Another thing to consider which is why Keiths suggestion is great is that if you assemble it outside of the tanks is you might make it to big to fit in the tank.

Also its weight needs to be considered. Wood weighs a lot and soaked wood weighs a lot more! If you assemble it in the tank using the fishing line to tie the pieces together, and later you need to remove a single piece of it for some reason, if it is all glued and screwed together then it will be extremely difficult to remove it. If you use the line then to remove a piece all you have to do is snip the line, and not remove the entire assembly.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 23-Dec-2007 21:06Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mews
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
male australia
I like your idea, I do a fair amount of Kayaking along local rivers, and will even snorkel around in them, not that you see much in the murk. Anyway I know exactly what your trying to achieve and think it would look fabulous. Good luck and show us how your coming along.

My 5footer
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/2242540621_1a81dcb3c8.jpg
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2008 10:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies