Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBreeding kuhlis
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
I was wondering if anyone has ever had success in breeding kuhli loaches? There doesn't seem to be much information on it. I found a link which shows eggs but for the squeamish please Don't Click. It is a picture of a kuhli loach which must have had an egg impaction and the loach burst. I thought they absorbed their eggs?
(not for the sqeamish)http://www.venividivissie.org/viewtopic.php?p=463533#463533
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2008 02:23Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
EditedEdited by brandeeno
YUCK!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2008 02:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
It has not really been announced, i guess, in breeding Kuhlis. In fact, some people might even not know that they bred, as the kuhlis pretty much hide a lot, and you might mistake it for a previously known kuhli. I would say that you should get a lot of these fish, like a whole lot, and have a large river pebble substrate, or a tank with no predators, and let them live, but at the same time feeding high protien foods and such.

I have never bred them, but i am sure that there is a way, but just not publicly announced. This is just my opionion, or theory if you may, on how to breed them.

I personally wouldnt mind a whole tankfull of kuhli loaches! They are so coool!!!!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2008 05:57Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
I've had them full of eggs before, but no young. The loaches were about 5yo and in a community tank.

I've only ever heard of one being bred in a home tank, but the fry were gobbled.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2008 06:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
Can be bred; the darker, larger pangio tend to be easier to spawn. Even then, it is still quite difficult to induce and usually occurs by chance.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2008 09:05Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited by Callatya
Found piccies of mine with eggs. They are the most gorgeous colour. She dropped a few when fleeing from another tankmate once, just beautiful.

the back section stays the same size, but the gut baloons out, so if you were to take a cross section it would be pear shaped. She spent a lot of time hiding, but didn't seem to nest as such. She'd still come out for food and she's still play with the others, but it looked like a struggle for her. I think she had eggs on 3 separate ocasions, all while she was around 4-6 years old. I'm not fastidious about WQ, and at the time that tank had the algae of doom and some type of unknown chronic infection going through the topswimmers.

You know, the one on the dutch site almost looks like she's nicked/rubbed herself, or been nibbled on. They look like they were very small holes. If she did burst it should have taken the easiest/weakest path, which is rarely out the side, and there shouldn't have been a physical need for the second opening once the pressure was relieved. Hard to say, but I wouldn't think that is normal at all.

Anyhoo, here's my lovely lady.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2008 08:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
She is a real beauty Callatya.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2008 09:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Wow, thats so beautiful! I love the colors, and i wonder how they get their eggs out of their system? Do they reabsorb it? Or do they just lay them and eat them?

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2008 22:12Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies