L# Bristlenose babies- a few questions
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBristlenose babies- a few questions
a-cathp
-----
Fingerling
Votes: 2
female australia
I haven't posted here for years because I haven't had any problems- and nothing has ever bred in my tank before.
I thought my bristlenose were both female- no bristles on either.
Well saw eggs on the gravel nearly 2 weeks ago- under the heater- with what I now know is the male guarding them until they 'left the nest' a few days ago.
No idea why they chose there rather than under driftwood or in a log!
I think at most there are 7 babies- I can see up to 5 at a time.
My 7-8 year old established tank is 75 litres- only other fish are 4 glowlights and 7 neons. Driftwood, anubias, java moss and java fern- and lots of algae.
With my present healthy bristlenose - I never added veges- just spiruluna discs. I added veges years ago - stopped as I blamed a couple of fish deaths on that.
My questions are- how big should the babies be, and how long before I take them to the LFS or give them away?
Are they likely to be fine in my smallish tank until then- (I've been cleaning every 3 days but only taking out one bucketful each time- and am prepared to increase the tank cleaning)
I have set up a smaller- about 35 litre -tank again and added new driftwood and anubias- just in case.
Will the babies be fine with just algae and spirulina- and leftover food from my other fish.
Maybe I should try veges again- not keen as I think I stuffed up when I did so in the past.
Also curious- not that I really care- how much Australian LFS pay for the babies.
Wherever they go- i just want them to be looked after.
Thanks for any advice
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2010 07:20Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
You'd want to check with your LFS on what size they take trades in. Some prefer to have them a bit larger. I asked about my baby kribs a few weeks ago and they wanted them large enough that they were showing their adult colors. BN would be different of course, what with the lack of 'adult color'.

Keeping up with the small frequent water changes is good IMO.

Thing with fresh veggies, they should be blanched (placed briefly in just boiled water) before they are fed. And don't leave any uneaten food sitting for more than 6 hours or so. Additional food will just decompose quickly giving you a mini cycle. I find thawed frozen peas to be good as it's easy to just feed a few at a time. Just make sure they're not minted peas, and they are just plain regular frozen peas.

Good luck, and congrats on the babies !

^_^

Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2010 02:37Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited 06-Jun-2010 06:23
I know some one who breeds BNs and he just feeds the babies on tropical a flake food, and a few sinking pellets.

I would try and sell them privately if you can you would be lucky if a LFS offered you more that $2-$3 each.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2010 06:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
a-cathp
-----
Fingerling
female australia
Thanks guys
The advice is much appreciated
I already feed flakes and have pellets- and always have some frozen peas.
Maybe they will do a better job on the algae than my adults
They are cute little things- when I can see them
Thanks again
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2010 08:13Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
a-cathp

I regularly give mine some of the cooked Pea, Corn, Carrot mix we are having for dinner that night. I just squash it up first.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Jun-2010 03:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
EditedEdited 10-Jun-2010 05:10
mmmmm just like babyfood

^_^

Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2010 05:10Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
a-cathp
-----
Fingerling
female australia
EditedEdited 12-Jun-2010 08:46
Thanks again for the advice
Some 'baby' pics- there are at least 5 of them
Hope they do a better job on the algae than mum and dad!

Post InfoPosted 12-Jun-2010 08:36Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I have noticed with all my BN fry they are continually hunting for any algae on the Anubias leaves.

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 13-Jun-2010 01:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies