SubscribeBristlenose breeding??? Help, What do i do next
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
female newzealand
I have a pair of bristlenoses..

I got two to keep each other company and i was hoping for two of the same sex but ones got bristles and the other don't.

However on tuesday evening last week i went for a search for the male as i thought he was stuck turned up an ornament and there he is with heaps of orange/amber looking eggs and i was like wow. However the wednesday they had hatched.

I was going to take the eggs out. Then i thought it would be an interesting lill experiment to learn how to breed them. Got another tank all set up for guppies..

So now what do i do next, daddy is still fanning over the young i have seen one or two of them that has escaped daddy.

I have read on net what to do. they say to take the mommy out but othersites say otherwise. So personal experince would be appreciated. Thanks

They say fishes are dumb, because humans need to be smarter in keeping the fishes alive.
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2009 08:23Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have breed a few BNs and never removed the FM main reason no second tank. From what I know from successful breeders just leave them alone and they should survive, that is providing no other fish will eat the young BNs.

One thing to look at is the intake of your filter I have sucked up plenty that way. You can place a prefilter over the intake.
What I am using in my Cardinal & Shrimp tank is a HOB filter sponge which I have cut deep into one end and pushed the intake tube into the course sponge. Being a course/open sponge filter block it does not block up quickly or reduce the water flow into the filter.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2009 10:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
well mate ive bred them a few times b4,and theres not much else you can really do!
once the eggs are put down and dads looking after them!once they have hatched and you start seeing the babies out and around the tank,you can start putting in some fry foods.or chrushed up flakes.or make sure that the new explorers cant fit up into your filter intake and outtake.
i learnt that by finding bn babies in my cannister filter,they werent dead,there were alive and kicking,they are just masters at getting into them sorts of places!
imo breeding these guys,is more in the preperation,the rite water paramaters,and a nice tight fitting cave,good food supply,and bobs your uncle!
thats all i done last time i cracked breeding these fellas!
hope this helps.
is it just the bn parents in the tank,if so the babies will be fine,if not some probly mite get eaten...
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2009 10:11Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
oh well i will sit back and watch them then and cover up a few places i can see the lill buggers getting into.

I have tetras as tankmates will that be a problem???

They say fishes are dumb, because humans need to be smarter in keeping the fishes alive.
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2009 19:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
donovan
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 26
Votes: 143
male usa
I have a breeding pair of bn plecos in a 55g,
tank mates,,,Von and Don Rio tetras, red eye tetras ,kuhlies and a horseface loach ,WCMM and long finned danios I use a eheim 2217 canister and a aqua clear HOB filter for tanks 20-50 ,,I just leave the parents alone they seem to do fine I'm sure one or two may end up in the canister ,,at this point I have no idea on just how many fry or juv are in my tank ,,,just make sure you have drift wood of some sort ,,mopani seems to be fine mine like it ,,I feed veggies every so often ,,,my plan is to take some to the LFS soon ,,,you might even make a buck or two,LFS want the fish to be atleast big enough to tell male from f-male then you get better money out of them
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2009 00:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
donovan
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 26
Votes: 143
male usa
almost forgot ,,,I fell on the idea of putting the fry in a floating breeder box when I seen the male had left the young ,,, just as soon as I placed the clay cave in the box he came back ,,,and honestly I never seen a fish do this befor he changed colors and beat up most of the fish in my tank
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2009 00:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
na mate,i cant see tetras causing them any problems.
as long as you cover up those nooks you mentioned,your guna have bn babies all over your tank.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2009 05:33Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TravelingGypsy
-----
Hobbyist
female newzealand
mmm wicked things well looks like i am all set to go with them then. Just sit back and let them do thier things.

Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2009 06:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
yup sit back and enjoy
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2009 10:51Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
so how are the bns babies coming along?
has dad released them out into the tank yet?
if not it wont be much longer,and youll start seeing them...
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2009 11:12Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies