L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeClown Not Eating
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 21
Votes: 1
I have a clown loach, its about 3 years old, and its not eating. It still has good color (ecept for sometimes he grays out) but he isnt eating.

Are there any meds I should look into?
Post InfoPosted 04-Dec-2006 00:00Profile PM Edit Report 
Gilligan
---------------
Mega Fish
I love you Alena
Kudos: 555
Votes: 50
male usa
How big is your tank Stupid? His diet could be off.

"Party it up, Drink it down"
Post InfoPosted 04-Dec-2006 03:45Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
what do you mean by his diet could be off?

sorry iv been very busy
Post InfoPosted 04-Dec-2006 05:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
What do you feed the CL if you have a look at My Profile you will see all the different foods they can and do eat.
Today Mon they had their normal 4 blocks of blood worms plus sinking pellets and later they had a full lettuce leaf.

Greys out would be my major concern WHY???? is he a loner, not enough cover, (plants and or caves) What else is in the tank. Also how big is the tank?

The water peramiters might help. When did you last do a filter and water change and what percentage?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 04-Dec-2006 07:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
im not sure why he grays out, but it is usually during feeding time, but he doesnt eat.

I feed it tetramin sinking tablets.
Post InfoPosted 04-Dec-2006 15:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
my tank is big
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2006 04:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
We cannot assist you until you provide more information. Giving us your water parameters (most importantly ammonia and nitrate), water change schedule, and tank size will help us to help you.

If I remember correctly, you have a twenty gallon and a twenty-nine gallon tank. Since you have been unwilling to share what size aquarium the loach is in, I have to assume that it lives in one of those two. I know you don't want to hear this, but they are not appropriate for the long term care of any clown loaches. They are boisterous, social fish which grow quite large. I have seen an eight or nine inch fish myself, and most sources claim that they get even bigger. I really think you should move that fish into a bigger tank.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2006 05:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
How big is BIG?
As SB stated you must provide us with a lot more infomation about your tank.
Did you look at My Profile re the feeding and the size of the tank?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2006 06:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
i dont check ammo and nitrite, because i never have had a problem with them in the 25 years i have lived in this house

i do a 35% water change every other week.
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2006 17:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
male usa us-virginia
EditedEdited by sirbooks
If you haven't tested, how can you know that there is no problem? Also, you're insinuating that you haven't had a problem with ammo or nitrate in the tap water, but that you have never tested your tank(s) for it. Is that right?

And honestly, since you refuse to give your tank size or specs, and I doubt you'll provide a stock list, I can't help you. Good luck getting someone else to figure out the problem. My guess is that the tank is overstocked and has at least one fish that needs an upgrade, but I can't just take that for fact. So I'm useless here. Sorry.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2006 18:31Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
all of the other 3498656 fish in the tank are perfectly fine, and are acting the same, which is a good indicator that water quality most likely isnt the problem... plus clowns are pretty hardy fish.
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2006 23:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
instead of all of this fighting, i could have been recommended a medication and have treated my fish already.
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2006 23:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gilligan
---------------
Mega Fish
I love you Alena
Kudos: 555
Votes: 50
male usa
Well see the thing is stupid, in every thread you never give us the whole picture. To fully help we need to know how big the tank is. Don't be nervous but people get annoyed when you ask for help and you dont tell all the information. So just tell us and I'm sure we can help you.

"Party it up, Drink it down"
Post InfoPosted 05-Dec-2006 23:55Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
"instead of all of this fighting, i could have been recommended a medication and have treated my fish already."

No, you couldn't, because we would not have the proper means of identifying the problem at hand, since you aren't being at all cooperative. Besides, medication should be THE LAST resort for any scaleless or psuedo-scaleless (as in the case of botiids) fishes.
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 00:32Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
In the Hospital Forum is a post that says, "Is your fish sick? Read this!" I went there & copied it for you below. If you answer these questions, someone will have a comment about your fish then.

Help us to help you with your sick fish:

When making a post to the hospital forum, you will save valuable time by providing the following to us. Post what you can now then bring the rest back later if you are missing something. Copy and paste the info into your post as a guideline, then edit out what is not needed. based on symptoms, we may ask for more info later.

It is also important for us to know what country you are in so we can recommend medications that are actually available to you.

ENVIRONMENTAL DATA

Water Parameters
There are many things in a fish tank that can cause a fish to appear sick, when natural toxins or water chemistry are not just right.

Ammonia:
Nitrite (note the I):
Nitrate (note the A):
pH:
Temp:

If you do not have one or more of these, please take a bag of water to the fish store and ask them to test it for you. Most will do this for free. If not, try another store. Make sure you write them down so we can review the numbers with you.

Tank Information

Tank Size (gallons and dimensions if known (20 gal long versus regular 20 or 20 gal high):
Stock List (Quantity/Species):
Fish size for larger fish (a 5 inch angel or a 9 inch oscar has a different effect on water parameters than a half-dollar size angle or a 3 inch oscar).
Filtration (ex: Penguin 330, Whisper 40, Fluval 204, etc).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additives
Tell us what you add to your tank or replacement water like conditioners to remove chlorine/chloramine, fertilizers for plants, aquarium salt, pH adjusters, etc. Describe for us how often you use and how much.

INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR SICK FISH

Be as descriptive as you can and provide pics, if possible (see the post about how to add pictures at the top of the hospital forum).

We not only need detailed information about what you see ON the fish, we need to know about its behavior. This does not attempt to capture everything, but gives you some ideas on how to present what you are seeing. Dont limit yourself to what is here.

Examples of some physical attributes
Pale, darker, grey fuzz/white fuzz/off-white fuzz, grey slimey film, blue haze, gold dusting, salt grains/spots, blood bordered white area, ulcer, pustule/boil, cloudy eyes, protruding eye, eroding fin, etc.

Examples of some behaviors
Lethargic, rapid breathing, sits on the bottom, hangs out at the top with head down (or head up), darting in a spiral fashion, swimming slowly without orientation, choking, flicking against objects in the tank or gravel
Also under FAQ I found this further information below:

Before posting for help, please read as much of the FAQs as you can. Really! They will most likely tell you everything you want to know about almost every beginner issue (if they don't answer your question, WE want to know!). Reading them should be your first order of business and is a simple courtesy to the readers of these newsgroups who get tired of reading the same questions from newcomers, over and over.

If the following instructions seem unclear, read the newsgroups for a few weeks (called ``lurking'') and you'll get the hang of the way things work. There are many readers of rec.aquaria.*, some are old pros, some newcomers, but all would appreciate it if you would follow a few simple requests when posting. Remember, you're asking them for help so you should play by their rules!

1) If you've looked around for the information requested, but come up with contradictory information, no information, or don't understand the information, please say so. This will show that you've been actively seeking out the information yourself.

Also, PLEASE PLEASE do not buy a fish and THEN ask the newsgroup how you can properly care for it. Ask questions FIRST and read as much as you can BEFORE buying the fish. Allow several days for people to get back to you. Most stores will hold a fish for you if you ask. It also does not hurt to introduce yourself, and come to know the owner or some of the employees at your favorite store. They will be more willing to do things for you if they know you are a loyal customer. It is poor husbandry to buy a fish not knowing if you can keep it healthy.

2) Fill in the rest of the subject line with a brief description of the problem or a couple of words that describe the concern of the post. A descriptive subject line is more likely to get read and responded to than a vague one (``Goldfish has white spots'' is better than ``Help!!'').

3) When asking for help, please give a complete description of your tank size, lighting, filtration, its inhabitants and their sizes**, how long you've had it running, measures of water quality such as ammonia, pH, temperature, etc. You can't expect much of an answer (or any at all!) unless you include enough information. (i.e. not ``HI, My fish died! Why? Bye'')

**Fish sizes are measured from the tip of their head to the beginning of their tail fin (where the tail meets the body).

4) Please do not use all capital letters. IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE SHOUTING!
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 02:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
To start off with that is not enough of a water change 35% weekly would be far safer and certainly better.
When and how often do you clean the filter also type and size of filter would help.
You still have not answered my basic questions.
If you do not know how many Lt /Gal give us the measurements.
There is a good chance it is a not a medical problem.
Please do as recommended by giving us all the required information then and only then can a correct and safe answer be given to you and not before.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Dec-2006 04:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
humm, he is still alive not eating for a week now, poor fish.

i am adding aquari sol to the tank, because that is the only med i have, and you guys will not advise me on anything i can get.
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2006 18:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
male usa us-virginia
It's really hard to treat a fish for just "not eating", because there are so many possible causes. We asked for more information, and you refused to provide it. Nobody on this site is to blame for your own stubbornness.

Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2006 19:11Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 10-Dec-2006 19:22
This post has been deleted
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
thankyou, maby he will help me instead of asking me things that IMO dont matter.

if you go to the doctor and tell them you have the flu, they dont ask you how big your house is
Post InfoPosted 10-Dec-2006 23:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies