Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHiding Peppermint Bristle Nose
labrakitty
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 9
female australia
I have a peppermint bristle nose that is around 3cm long, and I've had it for over a year. It comes out from underneath its bogwood about once a month and if you go any closer to the tank than about 1.5m he runs back to his bogwood. I've never seen him eat but he's not emaciated or anything when I catch a glimse of him. Is there any way to make him less hiding?
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 12:08Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
I've seen those in the LFS, they are not a cheap fishy either. It would definately be disappointing if you couldn't at least watch him a little.

My suggestion, if you dont already, is to have lots of hiding places, driftwood, caves and plants. He may feel more secure and venture out a little more.

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 19-Jun-2006 15:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Sounds like a very nervious little fella. Is there any thing else in the tank that is making him that way? Have you thought of getting hin a girl friend?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2006 06:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
L-183 and co. (I doubt the fish seen in aus. is actually the specified number) are shy. Nothing you can really do about it.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2006 07:29Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I have the same problem with the Albino Bristlenose. It's always hiding & when i'm close to the tank, it's impossible to see. Really annoying, but at least it keeps the Algae down.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2006 07:58Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
labrakitty
-----
Fish Addict
female australia
There are plenty of hiding spaces, there is a twisted piece of bogwood with another cave shaped piece placed on top so its like a little cave for him and there is a rock and lots of plants. I don't really have room to get him another one, and I haven't seem any more of them in the shop for a while. (He was $30 at the aquarium which is cheap as they are normally around $80 at other aquariums!)
Is there any food that would make him come out more?

P.S. he doesn't eat the algae, i have ottos for that.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2006 10:48Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
~jamie~
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 671
Votes: 65
female usa
I put algae pellets in my L183 tank and they love it, if I stand back from the tank after a few minutes they may come out to eat but at the first sign of movement they are gone (I have eight of them). They are all this same way unfortunately. I love to take pictures but they make it very difficult! I would say that is just the nature of this fish, unfortunately.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2006 14:05Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
labrakitty
-----
Fish Addict
female australia
I feed mine algae wafers.I moved the bogwood today so I can see my peppermint bristle nose a little bit without him noticeing! It must just be how they are!
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 12:55Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
male usa
Ancistrus should not be fed the protein rich algae wafers regularly.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 01:30Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
labrakitty
-----
Fish Addict
female australia
What are you supposed to feed them then?
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 02:57Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

Some brands (such as Wardley I think) make algae wafers that are made primarily of spirulina and are not high in protein.

The wafers made by Hikari tend to have a lot a fish and krill in them.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 03:11Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
"What are you supposed to feed them then?"

As above, some brands of commercial herbivore fish food are superior to others in algae content. You may have to search to find products that have less protein; just read through the nutritional contents on the back of the label.

You can also feed the pleco vegetables such as zucchini, and even make your own veggie paste. There's a recipe for something similar in the newest issue of TFH.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 03:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
labrakitty
-----
Fish Addict
female australia
I use wardley algae wafers for my peppermint and normal bristle nose and I feed my normal brislte nose zuccini and lettuce too, but the peppermint brislte nose doesn't eat the vegies.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 10:14Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Garofoli
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 143
Votes: 27
male usa
Have you tried switching your lighting over to moonlight? That helps you see nocturnal creatures more often.

Chris
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 16:52Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
~jamie~
----------
Big Fish
female usa
Ancistrus should not be fed the protein rich algae wafers regularly.

Wouldn't you agree however that the L183 along with other blackwater species require more protein than your normal bristlenose?

Post InfoPosted 01-Jul-2006 17:39Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
male usa
Water chemistry has nothing to do with diet. Many relatively well documented blackwater species such as 150, 182, etc. are just as vegetarian in their dietary habits as your common run-of-the-mill fish. Protein is to be given only as a supplement (2-3 times a week, tops), and even then, live foods provide a far better nutritional spectrum than algae pellets. I know I managed to get eggs from my trio with only 1 day a week bloodworm administration (originally a two pair, but one died from, guess what? Bloat--let that be a warning).
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 16:14Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
~jamie~
----------
Big Fish
female usa
I in no way was comparing water parameters to diet necessarily but was merely pointing out that they have more of a need for protein than your normal bristle nose. Two - three times per week max IMO for the blackwater species but that would be too much IMO for the normal species of bristle nose who can get their little amounts of protein from a supplemented wafer or live food sparingly. I agree that the blackwater species are just as vegetarian in diet and also agree that the live food offers more nutritional value than the pellets/wafers indeed.

In my post I was asking if you agreed that the blackwater species had more of a need for protein in general than that of the regular bristle nosewhich has been the results thus far of my researching these fish.

P.S... I got more baby queens!!!
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2006 20:49Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
male usa
Yes, but blackwater merely refers to the presence of excess tannic (and other simikar) acids n the water. This staining does not dictate the diets of the fish--that's what I meant.

P.S.: freakin' congratulations!
Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2006 05:46Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies