Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeI know this is CRAZY...
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Guess what my hubby brought today? 3 four-lined catfish and 3 common plecos. They will be stationed in the 40 gal tall with the only 2 inhabitants (1 Angel and 1 Emperor tetra). We will keep them until they outgrow the tank or we can afford that dream tank of his.

Does anyone have any experience with these fish species? I can't find anything in the profiles? And a google search comes up with 4-lined Pimodella or Pimelodus blochii. How fast/slow do these fish grow?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2010 21:12Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
UH OH.

4-lined pim will grow really fast. That emperor tetra will disappear within a couple months down one of their gullets. I've never kept one, but that entire family (Pimelodidae) includes fast-growing fisheaters. These can probably reach adult size within a year if really well fed, but it could take longer in a tank as small as a 40 gallon tall.

A trio of 4-lined pims will be okay in a 100+ gallon. Common plecs have the capacity to get a lot larger, but I've also only seen very few of them get to such sizes, they tend to get stunted more easily I think.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2010 02:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Thanks Shinigami! Can you tell me how big to expect them to get? All of the sites I've been to on the 4 lined pim never give a flat out size and they all vary greatly. Will they stay slim or become chunky?

I told my hubby the tetra will have to be moved.

He told me, "No, the catfish want to know there food before they eat it.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2010 03:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Since I haven't seen any larger, I'd say the 9-12" mark is probably about as big as they'll get. That's not to say that they don't get larger than that, I just haven't seen any that are bigger. When they're bigger they will be quite a bit chunkier.

Not knowing how big the pims are now, I would not dilly-dally on moving that tetra. Catfishes, and pims especially, have surprisingly large mouths.

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2010 03:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
I just checked on them. There stomachs are distended from their first feeding already. The tetra is so far safely sleeping topside. The pims finished the single sinking wafer before the plecs knew it was in the tank. I just had to drop a second one in so the plecs will have a chance at it.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2010 04:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
You may have to feed other things for the plecs... I used to keep my royal plec with a sizeable catfish, but when the catfish started swallowing algae wafers whole that's when he had to go. Plecos will eat veggies with gusto, though, and the pims will leave that alone.

Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2010 05:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Do you think the plecs will fancy mango or peas?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2010 06:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited 19-Jan-2010 02:59
I don't tend to use peas, but other aquarists have said that peas are good. I think you have to peel them.

I'd watch out with anything really juicy like mangoes, as the juice could affect the water quality, although every now and then is okay. I'd also be careful with mangoes specifically because their skins contain urushiol, which is what poison ivy has that causes the reaction. I don't know the effect of that on fish, but there's no reason to risk anything when there are many other choices.

Cucumber, zuchinni, and lettuce have good track records as pleco foods.

Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2010 02:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
I've fed my 55gal thawed squeezed peas without problems, so I'll give it a go with the plecs. I also gave the 55gal a sliver of peeled mango day before yesterday, and the barbs shredded it. I don't plan on sharing my mangos with the fish too often. I have to share with the kids enough as it is.

Tonight, I just fed with flake food. But I did drop a few (5)pieces of thawed mixed veggies (a kernel of corn, 2 peas, and 2 diced squares of carrot) in the tank to see if the plecs will eat. So far, everyone but the Angel has ignored the veggies. (he decided he didn't like it and left it alone too.) I'll check in the morning to see if it's all still there.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2010 03:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
How long can I leave uneaten veggies in the tank? I dropped a few in last night, and most of them haven't been eaten. Also does it matter what kind of lettuce? Can I use spinach, kale, or collard? What about a slice of tomato flesh minus the seeds?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2010 19:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
Ive had good luck with blanched spinach, cucumber and zuchinni, and shelled peas.

I've never tried carrots or corn... not to sure about the corn as peas need to be shelled, corn would need to be also as its got a harder shell than peas...

I put in a small amount at nite, and take out whatever isnt eaten the next am. Not sure about how long you can actually leave it.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2010 21:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Carrots work, but I haven't heard of corn. I have heard of tomatoes, but I wouldn't use them often because of their juice and acidity.

You can use any lettuce. I usually use iceberg or romaine. I have also used cabbage, and napa. I might've used kale once. I tend not to use lettuce as much as zuchinni and cucumber, however, because the latter hold together better instead of breaking apart.

I avoid spinach as it contains oxalates/oxalic acid, which can be bad for people at high concentrations/bad for people not tolerant of oxalates. Considering a fish is several times smaller than people, anything remotely dangerous to people could be more dangerous to fish. That said, I have never heard of a fish dying because of a spinach diet, which could mean I'm just super paranoid.

I usually leave veggies until they're eaten, which is within two days depending on how much I put in. Veggies start to disintegrate after that, and you should of course take it out when that starts to happen.

Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2010 03:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Thanks for all the answers to my crazy questions, guys, especially Shinigami. Hopefully just one more. Will yellow squash work instead of zuchinni? We tend to eat more yellow than green when it comes to squashes.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2010 14:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Okay, maybe one, one more question... How do you entice the plecs to eat? I noticed they will only stay on the glass or anything they can blend in with.. i.e. the dark brown driftwood, the black heater, the black thermometer strip. Since the food is light colored, I can't seem to get them to go near it.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2010 20:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
skystrife

-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 132
Votes: 37
male usa us-illinois
If you feed them right before the lights go out, this should help. They may be shy in bright light during the day due to their natural inclination toward nocturnal activity.

You could also try attaching the food to a dark surface, like your driftwood. This should make them feel more comfortable than the exposed open-gravel area of your tank. (In time this shouldn't matter as they become used to the environment, but I suppose it depends on the personality of your fish.)
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2010 23:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited 21-Jan-2010 01:53
I looked it up and a number of people report success using yellow squash, though I have never used it. Should be fine.

As they're common plecs, there really shouldn't be too much trouble getting them to eat once they realize what's food; all the foods I feed are similarly light colored. These guys have probably eaten algae wafers and shrimp pellets their entire life, but probably have never seen real veggies before. They'll learn soon enough, it usually doesn't take too long.

I usually don't worry about them eating if they at least eat it at night. Some of my plecs eat during the day, while some only come out at night.

Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2010 01:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Found a plec dead in the front of the tank. I don't see any signs of anything wrong, but then I haven't seen any evidence of them eating anything yet either.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2010 02:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
skystrife

-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 132
Votes: 37
male usa us-illinois
I'm sorry to hear that. =/

Do you happen to have a small rock or piece of driftwood you can place in a bright windowsill for a day to grow some algae? Placing this in the aquarium may give them some natural food as well as a potential shelter, encouraging them to eat.

Hopefully the rest will make it out OK.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2010 03:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
It would take a LOT longer for a plec to starve to death, from my experience when I was a beginner (when I didn't know plecs needed to eat something other than algae in the tank). Their bellies would be sunken and they usually get pale patches if they starve in this manner.

Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2010 04:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited 22-Jan-2010 13:37
You just confirmed that it starved. It had pale patches on the underbelly. I noticed that when I tossed him out.

On a brighter note, I did see the other two had gnawed on the yellow squash this morning before I pulled it out. I will get them something green to eat later today. I have some kale frozen in the garden, (I was too lazy to clip it before the frost.) maybe I can give them that? I also have a vase that's been sitting in the windowsill. Can I scrape the algae out of that? I don't think it will be the solid sheet kind. Oh, will they eat the algae that grows on the underside of the hood? That usually comes off in a big clump. (kinda gross looking to me though.)

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 22-Jan-2010 13:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies