SubscribeInformation required Yoyo Loaches
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have done a bit of research but this is not the same as some one who has has or had them.
My questions are:-

Peaceful or not or do they get a bit aggressive as they get older?

Is it better to get a min of 3 rather than a loner?

Feeding do they require any special diet?

Housing what is their preference?

Finally would they be suitable for my tank? To answer that it would be advisable to look at my Profile. The Aquascape has recently been upgraded here is the link.
tank aquascape

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2007 07:10Profile PM Edit Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Keith , I have 6 Dwarf Loaches (Yasuhikotakia sidthimunki) , they have similar markings
to the Pakistani or Yoyo's and are often mislabelled as such. However these little fellas
are fantastic fun to watch and they grow only to about 2 inches rather than the 6inches
of the Yoyo's . With your Clown loach population , you might consider these guys as you
would be able to fit 6 or so in and they show brilliant interaction as a school .

Anyway just a thought.

Garry
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2007 07:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Gary

Those Dwarf Loach seem to fill the gap a lot better than the Yoyo mainly because of their size and less tendency to be bossy as they get older.

As you are in Aust can you tell me what you paid for them please? As I have no idea of what they could be in our area. I go to LFS only a few minutes apart they both buy of the same distributor but their prices differ greatly.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2007 10:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Keith , Now your testing the memory , I think I paid around $12 ea but I see on Livefish .com that they have them for about $19 so they could have gone up a bit .

Hope that helps .
Garry
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2007 11:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
clownloachfan
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 850
Votes: 115
male usa us-pennsylvania
Hey, keithgh. I dont know where you read that they get bossy as they age, but that is absolutely false. They are really peaceful. They are so peaceful that my 5 inch adult yoyo allows my juvenile 1.5 inch zebra loaches to school with it. They are as peaceful as clown loaches.
Do not get a single specimen, 3 or more is the way to go, they are social just like the other botias in the group. More than 3 is definetly better.
They do not require a special diet, you have kept clown loaches so, just treat them that way. I know you have kept clowns for many years, so you do not need to worry.
Housing is is the same as clowns, caves, rocks, driftwood, etc.
GOOD LUCK!!!
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2007 18:12Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
EditedEdited by keithgh
Thank you all for that info that is exactly what I was wanting practical experience with them. I will go for five Yoyo then. Just contacted my LFS they have to Yoyos at $8 and they are 5cm.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2007 02:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
General Hague
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 81
Votes: 3
male usa
Yo Yos are good to have in groups. Beware however if you have crustaceans and snails, even apple snails because there is a high chance they will be eaten. However fish have nothing to be worried about. They are nocturnal, however they will become diurnal if you feed during the day, not night. That is what happened with my Yo Yos, and they will get used to seeing you. At first they might swim away at the site of you, but then won't after a while. Very active fun fish to watch.
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2007 21:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
clownloachfan
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 850
Votes: 115
male usa us-pennsylvania
Nive to hear that you are getting 5 keithgh. Mine are out all of the time for me to enjoy, they do like their mid afternoon nap though.
Post InfoPosted 13-Nov-2007 21:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
EditedEdited by keithgh
Thank you all for all this info it was appreciated.

I bought 5 today the poor girl was not the fish girl and had a lot of fun catching them 3-4cm $8.95 each.

At the moment I am floating them, and introducing a little of the tank water about every 15 minutes.

Snails in that tank impossible not with all those CLs.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2007 05:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa

Congrats keith! I wish you luck with them!
Pics later when they get settled in?
Post InfoPosted 14-Nov-2007 17:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
I have taken some photos and I will post them SAP in photos.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 02:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
male australia
Keith, Good buy , look forward to the photo's . I will be interested over time what sort of behaviour and size they exhibit .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 02:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
imverystupid
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 21
Votes: 1
my yoyo's got a bit more aggressive as they got older.. they always started fights with the clown loaches
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2007 05:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
Hi keith and congrats to hear you've got yo-yos. I bought a pair of them about 2.5 years back, and it was a major pain to find them back then. Even here in the greater chicagoland area! Had to call the wholesaler and ask who he sold them to, only one store in the area at that time. Never saw any aggressive behavior out of them ever only happiness and playfulness... I swear they're like puppies. As for housing, well anything they can hide in. Mine have taken up residence in a hollow driftwood (fake, from Petsmart) along with my dwarf rubbernosed pleco. More recently, I've added a small submarine (also from Petsmart) and since it's hollow also I have seen all three of them in there together. Packed in like sardines, its not that big. Just this past weekend I saw yo-yos at my local Petsmart and picked up another pair and they are all very happy. They two adults are pleased to hev more of their own kind and play with them all day.
Not trying to push Petsmart here guys, I know lotsa ppl don't like them, but the one here near me is very good in all departments and have one of the better fish areas I've seen in a large chain.
Post InfoPosted 21-Nov-2007 00:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies