L# Bottom Feeder Frenzy
  L# kuhli loach question
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribekuhli loach question
zeketaz
Hobbyist
Kudos: 78
Votes: 1
Would a kuhli loach attack tetras? I came home from work today and my little male tetra was dead.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2010 00:43Profile PM Edit Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
I have 5 Kuhli loaches with 14 Neon tetras with no problems. I seriously doubt a Kuhli would attack anything. Mine have never shown any aggression toward any of there tank mates. I have seen my Kuhlis muscle there way onto a wafer, they just pushed my SAE right off of it LOL. What is your stocking and what size is your tank?
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2010 01:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
I honestly cant imagine a khuli attacking anything.. I think its got to be something else....
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2010 01:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have Khuil's with my Cardinal tetras and never a problem.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2010 02:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zeketaz
Hobbyist
I have a 45 US gallon corner tank with 3 guppies 2 glow light tetras and the newest additions are 2 kuhli loaches. I didn't think the kuhlis were mean. It is just bizzare that he was fine swimming normal and eating to being dead. Also are the two kuhlis alright by themselves or should I get 2 more?
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2010 02:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Kuhlis probably won't attack fish, but I've heard of them attacking snails with much gusto.

2 more kuhlis wouldn't hurt, but neither would boosting numbers in that tetra school.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2010 03:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
male usa us-california
Adding 2-3 more Kuhlis would be good along with some more Glowlights, maybe 8 more. Make sure there are some plants, fake or real for the Tetras and some hiding places for the Kuhlis.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2010 06:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zeketaz
Hobbyist
I will for sure get some more kuhlis, they're so cute! As for the tetras I have tried 3 or 4 times, I've lost count, to add more tetras to have at least a school of 6 and every time I add more they die so I end up with only 3. It never fails. This is the first time I've only had 2. The one that died was a new one I had bought to up the numbers.

I have petrified wood set up as a cave with java moss on it. That's where the kuhlis hide most the time. I've also seen them dart out from my plastic open tree trunk thing. I also have java fern they don't seem interested in. I have another plant I have no clue what it is and a mini java star? I got it from my lfs i really want dwarf hairgrass so I can eventually get some shrimp to.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2010 15:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
male usa us-california
How long has your tank been running? What kind of filter do you have? When you add Tetras only add about 3-4 at a time to allow the filter to catch up. My Kuhlis like the Anubius Nana.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2010 22:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zeketaz
Hobbyist
I've had the tank you and running for at least a year or more. I have a fluval 205. Yes I do allow plenty of time between adding fish. I get some fish then a couple weeks/months later I add another. It was about 3 months from the last time I bought a tetra till when I got my loaches.

I'm waiting for my lfs to get some anubius nana in.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jan-2010 18:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
male usa us-california
Sounds like you've got it handled. I don't know what to say about the Tetras. I have only had mine for about a month and so far they seem to be healthy.

Attached Image:

My Anubius
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2010 08:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
male usa us-california
Here is one of my Kuhlis popping his head out. All 5 live under the driftwood with the Anubius on it. Sorry the pics aren't better quality I'm still learning.

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2010 09:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zeketaz
Hobbyist
Lowight

I absolutly love your anubius, is it on dw? The kuhli loach is adorable to. I don't even know where mine hide LOL.
Post InfoPosted 07-Jan-2010 14:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
male usa us-california
Yes the Anubius is on DW. There are 2 Anubius plants on it.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2010 05:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
If tetras aren't working for you maybe try some danios or rasboras maybe? But you should surely up the khuli numbers so you have at least 5 or 6 in there! my khulis only ever ate fish that were already dead or dying (like any other fish would) so there must be something wrong with the tetra stock you are pulling from or your water is just no good for them... try something a little hardier next time but also get some plants in there for all of the fish, the rock works its good but you need more than just rocks to create a good environment for most fish

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2010 18:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 16-Jan-2010 14:18
This post has been deleted
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies