L# Green Spots
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGreen Spots
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 200
female usa
In my acrylic tank green spots of what I am guessing are algae have appeared all over the sides of the tank. I tried scrubbing it off with a washcloth, but it wouldnt come off very easily. Is there any way to get rid of it quickly and easily?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2009 01:54Profile PM Edit Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
If you have a plastic scraper or old credit card/ID you may be able to scrape it off easier. That stuff's still not very easy to get off, I know I make my arms sore working on it with our 60 gallon tank.

><>
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2009 02:37Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
That is a problem with acrylic tanks you have to be extremely careful when removing any thing from the surfaces.
I have seen Frank mention Credit Cards more than once so that must be the best way to go.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2009 02:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Oh, Frank told me about using old credit cards a few months ago... I swear by it. I have a glass tank with lots of scratches in it. I get beard algae and slime all over my glass and in every scratch. I get out a card from the trash mail (credit card solicitations) and go to work. The tank is soooo clear afterward. But you do get hand cramps by the second side. Especially if you have carpal tunnel.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2009 04:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
I like the credit card idea. Free

I use a plastic Tetra scraper. It's kinda like a credit card on a handle but with two edges (push and pull). It also has a head for holding the "stay clean" wipes which supposedly retard algae growth for a month. I never tried the wipes. Anyway, you can get these for $10.

http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/catalog/productdetail.aspx?id=1276&cid=1956
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2009 19:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Buy an algea scrubber from your LFS. the type with the long thin handle, and a square head. Attatch a razor blade to the head. No scratches, and very clean!
Post InfoPosted 28-Mar-2009 01:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 200
female usa
What if I were to add an Oto or other small algae eating fish? Do apple snails eat algae?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 30-Mar-2009 02:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Optimusprime
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 6
male canada
I have a Chinese algae eater in my tank and he keeps it pretty clean that and moving the tank to a new location in the house made all the difference in the world.

"All water has a perfect memory and is forever trying to get back to where it was."
Toni Morrison.
CHECK MY PROFILE FOR PICTURES.
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2009 03:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Chinese algae eater

Be warned once he gets bigger algae will not be enough they love attacking other fish as well. SAEs are far better unless you have Angles.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2009 04:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies