Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow do you start a siphon?
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
hi just wondering the easiest way to start a siphon other than orally, i have tried a few methods but none seem to work too well for me.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 01:43Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Hooben

-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 219
male usa us-texas
Where are you running the siphon to.

Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 02:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
If you take the sypphon and fill it up with water and let it run to the end of the hose and plug the end of the hose with your finger when it reaches there. Then fill the syphon up with water so ti is completely full and put the one end in the tank, and the hose in the bucket. When you remove your thumb from the end of the hose it will start the suction for you.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 03:03Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
thank you gourami.cuz doing it orally it kind of gross especially it water gets in the mouth
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 05:19Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
gourami i tried this method but it did not see to start up how it was supposed to , though i do see the concept.do u have another way or could you possibly be more specific?
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 20:37Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
For my larger tanks, it is relatively easy because I can submerge the siphon itself in the aquarium. This way, I allow the entire siphon to fill with water; you have to make sure a good deal if not all of the siphon fills with water, leaving few or no pockets of air, because those can kill your siphon. After submersion, plug the one end with your finger and pull it out and into the bucket, and the siphon should start.

For smaller tanks I would start it by mouth, but currently neither of my smaller tanks have a substrate so I've just been using a cup of water and scooping.

The siphon will not work very well if your tank is close to the level of what the water is going into; for example, if your tank and bucket are both on the floor. For this, either use a battery-powered siphon, a vacuum-powered siphon, or just scoop the water out manually.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 21:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Make sure there aren't any air bubbles in the hose (especially biggish ones). When I do this, I put the wide end of the siphon in the tank, then scoop up some water with it (with thumb on the narrow end), then let the water run down to the end of the siphon, holding the wide end up in the air and the end with my thumb on it low so it's as straight as possible until all the bubbles come out the wide end. Then I fill up the wide end with water by scooping it in the tank and at that point I have a pretty good siphon. Remember that when you're letting the bubbles out, if there is a part of the siphon goes downward in the direction you want the bubbles to go, they'll get trapped there.

><>
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 21:36Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
ah ok.i misunderstood, i have just been submerging the vacuum part of the siphon and plugging one end.duh
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2009 22:05Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have used the suck by mouth method for more years than I can remember it is quick and easy and never a problem as far as I am concerned.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 03:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
wouldnt the suck by mouth have some risks like infectious things that could be transmitted from fish to hhumans?
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 05:15Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Not really. The only disease I know of transmittable from fish to humans is fish "tuberculosis", which is extremely infrequent.

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 07:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
thanks shinigami for clearing that up, your way works very well(the submerging way).and also thankyou for clearing that up, now i now if i get in a jam or want to get it done faster i can do it both ways, but the mouth way kinda erks my mom.lol
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 08:23Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
male newzealand
If you're getting water in your mouth you're sucking for too long. It's not rocket science.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 12:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
" have used the suck by mouth method for more years than I can remember it is quick and easy and never a problem as far as I am concerned."

Keith... Is that maybe why you have those slits in the
side of your neck, and the webbing between your toes?

Frank

PS, I currently use a Python brand siphon. But, before
that, I used the oral method as well. The trick was to
have enough hose length so that once the water started
over the side of the tank and down the hose, I had time
to register (in my mind) that the water had started to
flow, and then I removed my mouth from the hose in time
so as not to get a mouth full.

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 17:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
yes i just dont think the hose is long enough because it only goes into the bucket an inch or too and by the time i get it over the side of the tank it is alreeady in my mouth.you have to kind of anticipate when it will be there and just guess when to take it out of your mouth.that was why i was searching for an easier method.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2009 19:03Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Yeah, the mouth method irks my mom too, haha.

Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2009 01:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I think that you can buy a siphon pipe with an attached hand pump & you can pump the water through the pipe & into the bucket. Personally I'm still using the old sucking method without any problems.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2009 11:26Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
yes, and cant you buy those really cool siphons with the shut off valves for filling really large tanks from the sink.though i have never seen then at the lfs id like to order then, cuz toting buckets of water is kind of a pain.
Post InfoPosted 04-Jan-2009 19:00Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
female canada
honestly I had to laugh when I saw the tittle post..
the "easist" way is to suck!..lol..
no kidding aside..Im sure we all crindge when we have to start it up..lol..I do.. spit water a couple of times over the yrs, just not paying attention..
when I start to seek out my 80gal I purchased a python(Siphon) with a 50ft hose..( 4 tanks all around the house).. 5 to be soon..I was using an old cooler.. had to remember to plug up the side..done that twice..water all over the livingroom floor..lol
A python makes water changes much more pleasant to do and alot faster..nothing like the old way toting the cooler to the bathroom and then having to mop floor after..lol
Sue
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2009 04:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
male newzealand
Pythons waste a RIDICULOUS amount of water.

The hose on my gravel vac is about 10 meters long, so I have at least 10 seconds between seeing the water go up and over the side of the tank and it coming out the end.

Worst I've done though was having a...Ummm...Failure of foresight. Cannister filter didn't want to prime so I pulled the outlet hose off, forgot to unplug the power and sucked on the hose. Mouth full of all that algae crap that always comes out plus the filter pumping full bore into my face.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2009 12:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies