zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
Hey Kellyjhw

Welcome to the joy and excitement of the native fish hobby

Its always nice to see new people realize how fascinating native fish are, as many people fail to understand that native fish aren't any less exotic than their tropical counterparts. For instance, I'll pay someone $100 to find a tropical fish as colorful as this native rainbow darter- vt.edu/efish/families/images/jpegs/rainbowdart.jpg" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/families/images/jpegs/rainbowdart.jpg (okay, maybe not seriously).
In addition, being able to catch the fish in their own natural habitat is so much more interesting than picking fish out of pet store tanks.

But anyway, some of the fish you have listed do not occur in Michigan (the Fieryblack Shiner, Highback Chub, Bluehead Chub, Speckled Darter, and Bluespotted Sunfish.) Coincidentally, though, all of the fish that don't occur in your area occur in mine.
If i ever get a chance to collect some of the fish you listed, I'll surely send some up your way. Just make sure you never release them in you're area. One must always return fish to the exact body of water where he/she found them.

I've collected a bunch of rosyside dace in my backyard (they're similar to redside dace (there's some pics on my website- http://zachambrose.webs.com/fishes.htm). Maybe I can send some to you, if you'd like.
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2009 23:22Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Cool!

I am a bit befuddled though... All but 2 of the fish I listed are on the state of Michigan's DNR website with maps showing them within the Michigan's waterways. But I would never release a fish, in any waters it didn't come from originally. Anywho, I only have a wish list for now anyway. I have to get lots of to do it right. Beside this looks like months of reading to get compatiblities?(spelling?) right. My computer is on the frits and I have to snag my daughters 'puter when she's not on it. Beside's that I have to go upstairs... I'm not that fit or inclined to race the kids up stairs.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2009 03:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
male usa
EditedEdited by zachf92
I was mistaken on the highback chub, they actually occupy the westernmost edge of Michigan
But other than that, according to my field guides, none of the other fish i listed above live in your area. Im not saying youre wrong, though. Some of the fish could have easily been released in your area since the publication of my 15 year old books. who knows.
Maybe I'll luck up at a family picnic and net a few out of the Detroit River.
I forgot to mention- dont even bother looking in large rivers for small fish. Im not saying there aren't any in there, but it would be near impossible to catch them.
The best place to catch minnows are in small brooks and streams. All you have to do is just go searching around- if you have any woods near your house, check them out, you might find a small stream. Any permanent stream is guaranteed to have some fish, unless its overpolluted of course. I catch most of my fish in a little man-made runoff stream in my backyard, and most people are really surprised when i tell them i've found 7 inch long fish back there.
So give it a try
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2009 16:25Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
hi, I've been trying to find a list of Southern California native species to keep (thinking something really small that can be kept in not larger than a 20 gallon), but just cant find a list (or where I could collect/buy them)... if anyone has any clues...

sorry for hijacking the thread kelly!

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 11-May-2009 05:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Not a problem Brandon! What I did, was go to my official state's website. I looked into the Department of Natural Resources link. You may have to look in Parks and Recreation. See if they have anything in relation to the fish and wildlife in your state. That should get you started. You can also try googling "Southern California fish". I got this link: www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/fishing_map.asp , when I tried it. There were more but, that one looked most promising. Good Luck!

Zach, I kinda had a feeling that most of the fish in the rivers near me are huge. But I remember as a kid, seeing the most beautiful shoal of minnows right off the pier in a rocky spot. I could get to the spot, but they were lighting fast. (I didn't have a very good net and was afraid of falling on the slippery rocks.) Even the gulls wouldn't try for them (it was easier for the gulls to steal food off someone's grill or picnic table). Smart a$$ birds. Yes, I was a victim. Sorry, I digress. Maybe I'll go to that park again, if it's still open. It was over 20+ more years ago.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 11-May-2009 22:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
male usa
Brandeeno,

as Frank stated much earlier in the thread, http://nanfa.org/default.shtml is a great place to start, and the forum is very active and full of knowledgeable native fishgeeks. check it out if you haven't already.

Also, this website will certainly be of use to you as well- http://calfish.ucdavis.edu/

Kellyjhw,

Well then if you do happen to go to the river, certainly give it a try. I'd imagine that it would take great patience, something i have very little of
This might make life a bit easier though- http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752521 (This is the one I use)
Hopefully pollution hasn't taken its toll on the river since the last time you were there.

Post InfoPosted 12-May-2009 03:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
I would recommend not releasing any fish at all. If you put any plants in the aquarium, buy feeder fish, etc that can carry parasites or diseases you might introduce it to the wild.
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2009 06:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited by kellyjhw
Sorry I gave that impression. My intent without stating was once it makes to my home... That will be it's home FOREVER. R.I.P. services will be held in the backyard under a pine tree or peonies when it finally expires. (Unless it was a healthy sized jumper, then it could be in a skillet ) {Mmmm... smelts.}

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 12-May-2009 06:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
I remember going smelting as a young teenager in the
inlets around the southern shores of Lake Ontario.
When first asked, I thought it was kinda like going
snipe hunting. Then I found out it was a fish that ran
in huge schooling migrations. I remember well a gas
lantern hanging on a pole out over the prow of the boat
and netting them by the dozens. You are right Kelly,
Skillet and something to wash 'em down!

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2009 07:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
I used to go with my step dad when I was in early elementary school. I don't think we ever hit the run right and got very many. I do remember someone netting an eel though..

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 15-May-2009 11:37Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies