---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
We've had everyone from the main living room tank down hall in the spare tank in the gym

Happened to spot a new baby krib in the tank a few days ago and have been very excited that he's managed to avoid the other fish

But what I'm really excited about is the silver sharks we just picked up from a fellow FProfilian.

Even with how big the tank they are in is, I'm amazed at how big they look in the tank. I was also very happy to see the silver dollar took to them right away. He's been a bit lonely since his last schoolmate passed away a few months ago.

They're at least 10" long, and have plenty of swimming power!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2009 09:57Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi Babel,
NICE!

Are you conserving water, or don't you have a piece of
glass as a full cover?
How big is that tank?

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2009 14:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Man, those balas are ENORMOUS.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2009 16:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
EditedEdited 17-Sep-2009 22:38
If I ever had an aquarium sized dream tank I'd love to have whole schools of balas in them. I'm thinking a FW tank like the baltimore aquarium has the large spiral walkthrough tank

Frank, finally managed to hunt down a measuring tape (don't ask me where anything is in this house, I've moved too many times ) Tank is 5' long (I could almost fit in laying down) 2' wide and 2' tall. Our tank calculator says it's 149.6 USgallons. That's a dual 2' light on top to give it a bit of perspective.

It's only filled to 16" right now or 99 gallons, I added a few more buckets yesterday. It was originally before adam had it a SW tank anyway it has a bit in the back left corner that leads to a sump under the tank, but when we moved from the rental place a few years ago we realized the sump had been leaking (all over their carpet ) and havent gotten a chance to reseal it. It's running a canister right now, but if it gets filled too much it will make a mess....and we've already had one tank do that to this place

Covering is a mix of glass lids that the cat didnt' break yet, and hard plastic sheeting, which now that I think of it I'm sure will not keep the balas in if they decide to make a run for it.
It's stocked with few, maybe 4?5? clown loaches (pretty big) the kribs 3M, 1F, a pair of congo tetras, 1 wcmm, and 1 blue acara (which is why theres only one of my wcmm left ).

Yes it's a bit of a mix tank, between all the moves and the living room tank busting we havent really been able to organize the fishtanks properly, as you can see the fake plants aren't even in any sort of order, half of them are upsidedown .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2009 22:36Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Babel
I have lost the last two of my very large Silver Sharks when they managed to jump out through the small 20mm+ gap at the end of the tank. One was a very experienced jumper and often jumped out when doing a water change last time it was over night jump and naturally I was not around to put it back.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2009 10:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Thanks for the heads up keith, we'll try and get a better lid on the tank, might be able to use some wood temporarily.

They're great looking fish I'd hate to loose them from a jump, that must have been sad to lose yours

^_^

Post InfoPosted 19-Sep-2009 07:56Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies