SubscribeRE-dping an old 15gallon "bow front hex"
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
When I have transplanted the Crypts and I seem to be doing that a lot lately I always trim the roots just a little especially the broken or damaged roots.

Floating I only do this with any new plant introduced into the tank it also gets the root treatment. For some reason the Crypts do not seem to mind this and after a few days you will notice the leaves start to curl under but not degenerate in growth one little bit. I have already removed any damaged of dying leaves. I also have noticed the new roots shooting this is usually just above the cut offs on the old roots.

I also use Liquid Ferts every day so they are getting a goood feed during this process.
What I am saying is that it works for me in my tank conditions with the Crypts. It might not work with all plants in all tanks.

I also grow thousands of garden plants including many exotic orchids and the way they can be hacked up is a shocker to a not grower. When buying bare rooted plants/shrubs/trees some can be left in water for 24+hrs this just gives the plant a good kick when it is planted also it reduces the stress of replanting. Many plants are like fish they are easily stressed and require a bit of TLC before fully relocated into their new home.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 03:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
EditedEdited by brandeeno
finally got a kinda decent camera but the screen is broken so setting changes are impossible. I will post them up in a bit...

I did some re-scaping so i think it looks a bit better, It will probably get a bit of criticism though, so its in the works.

Thanks,
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 04:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
OK well here are my pretty crappy pics, but they are better than nothing. I appologize for the water being hazy in the second set as i had just rescaped and the debris were not yet settled. I'll retake picts again tomorrow if time allots.

Original Scape:
http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd138/brandeenocobbler/Original%20Scape/

Here is the new and slightly improved scape:
http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd138/brandeenocobbler/New%20Scape/

PS there are very sentimental pieces in the scape. the large flat yellowish rock and thicker drift wood (off to the right) were both "smuggled home" from my trip down under last spring and the little statue I bought at Victoria Falls two summers ago.

Thanks,
-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 06:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Brandon

Your tank is exactly the same shape as mine I have the 11.8 US gal 45lt and we call it a Bay Window front as used in house/window construction. What I have done is painted the two long sides and the back a flat black, this gives the tank greater depth front to back. It is also easier to photograph less reflections

They can be very difficult to take photos what I have found best is darken the room and only have the tank light on pushed closer to the back, and no flash adjust the light with you photo program on the computer.

As you say it is a bit murky I will be waiting to see the new photos what I have seen of the old scape it looked good.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 08:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
hmmm the back of mine is mirrored so it provides alot of depth but also a lot of reflection. flat black paint on the sides would be nice and to seal up and nicks in the mirrored back. I dont really want to remove the mirror as it would be tough.

more pics to come probably tomorrow...

YaY!

-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 01:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Is the mirror stuck on the back? What every you do do not try to remove the mirror.
MY old SW tank had a mirror back but over the years it wore off.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 08:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
yes the mirror is stuck there.
I wouldn't want to take it off, i like the depth is brings to the tank. i can see that in places it is starting to wear off as the tank is probably like 15 years old (I've had it for three years but its been passed around several times through craig's list and my cousins and now i have it!)

the sad thing is the wood grain wore off the frame in a lot of places but in reality it didn't really add a whole lot to the aesthetics.

the tank is looking better IMO, but I am starting to consider taking out the small statue because to me it distracts from the plants and the shrimp, although it is very interesting to see the khuli loaches squiggle through the arms and legs...

in the pictures I'm not sure if you noticed, but my khulies were swimming up in the open water, they do that in the evenings and they swim little laps in circles along the front and angled glass, its very interesting! not sure if yours do this...

this evening i will take pictures and post them up, the camera isn't at home right now so I'll have to wait.

Thanks for being so helpful and giving me feedback,

-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2009 21:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
here's the pics,
If you want to edit some and repost them go right ahead!
some are blurry and the ones that were more blurry got a ticket straight to the trash can...

There are also a few pics of my discus, although their tank is a bit shabby atm.

http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/dd138/brandeenocobbler/Tank%20Pics%20jan%2024/

check them out!

-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 02:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies