SubscribeTiny White Things On/In Aquarium
Barb_Fan2
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
Votes: 0
male usa us-newjersey
Hello,

I noticed last night in my fry tank, that I had these white specks on all sides of the aquarium glass.I have about 20 week old fry in the tank. When I feed them I shutown the filter and just leave the air bubbling away. I left the light on for few hours and when I went to power the filtee on again I looked in the tank and see these white specks and took a magnifying glass to better look at what these white speck were and I noticed that their moving. They looklike tiny worms about 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch long. So I freaked out thinuking it is some parasite that will affect my fry killing them all. I went online and Googled "tiny white specks on tank glass" I get a few different points of view as to what they are from others posts on different fish forums, most of them say no harmful to fish which is a relief as this if the first time trying to raise fry from livebreeder I always had egglayers mostly barbs so I never had the issue of pregnant fish before, now I have young kids and they like the llaties, mollies, swordtails more then the tiger barbs, black ruby barbs that I have always loved.anyway back on topic, so when I turned on the filter and turned off the light for overnight I noticed that today when I turned on the light they white these were gone off the glass but when I shut the filter off again to feed the fry within a few seconds I could see the glass start to get the white things on them again so, does anyone know what these are and are they safe for the fry? Also when I flip the lights on I see 4 snails on the glass as well. Now I didn't have but one snail that came in on a plant, I took that out the other day when I was able to catch it at the top of the tank. Now it loos like it laid eggs and I am seeing more and more snails, I am not to worried about the snails as I have a Yoyo, that I can put into the tank once the fry are big enough not to be eaten themselves by the Yoyo. I question would be do you thing the white worm looking things are snails or not? I myself lean towards no but I like to see what you think.
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2017 16:24Profile PM Edit Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
To your snail question, if they are the usual pest snails it does not matter whether you want them or not because you are going to have plenty in no time!

Can you get a picture of your "tiny white things"? If you are using a regular camera, there is a macro mode that should help you take a good pic of them. It's the tiny flower icon. If you're using a phone camera you should try your best but it may not be very clear.

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 08-Jan-2017 16:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Barb_Fan2
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 23
male usa us-newjersey
I can't get a good picture of them they are way too tiny to get and my phone doesnt have a macro setting on it... so I was told by a fish store guy that they are parasites that are not toxic to the fish so said to do more water changes and give less food I have to try that for now see what happens..but if anyone has more information I would love to hear it..
As far as the snails been crushing them as I see them. Got 6 far, one had a really big shell so hw fast do they grow their shells? as it was in the tank earlier today when I pulled out 3 snails..
New question, tried to feed my fry some live brine shrimp so I put in a small amount most were smaller then fry but they didn't want anything to do with them, I was wondering if the brine shrimp will eat the tiny white parasites before the shrimp die off?
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2017 00:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
If your fish aren't eating the snails, expect to keep finding more and more. They are quite prolific!

I have no experience with brine shrimp in the aquarium unless it is the frozen variety.

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2017 15:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Sin in Style
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1119
Votes: 165
male usa
planaria, pretty common in fish tanks that have been over fed. You will often see them free floating and squiggling in the water column. They no effect on the tank but do mean there is excess food. Might try a bottom feeder like cories or snails to clean up better.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2017 12:34Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
SantaMonicaHelp
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
usa
Hi Barb_Fan2

How is your tank now?
Did you find answer to your question?

Zhenya

Research Studies: Reefbase.org
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2017 19:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies