Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTransporting fish.
mnventurer
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 31
Votes: 34
male usa
My tank is very over populated by very fertile fish and I'd like to sell some back to the store I got them at. What's the best way to bring them back? The drive is about 15 or 20 minutes. It's around 40 degrees F here these days.

Saint Paul, Minnesota USA 20g Freshwater Started June 10th 2008
-> Tank Info In Profile <-
Post InfoPosted 27-Oct-2009 18:31Profile PM Edit Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
when Ive transported fish, I bagged them like They do in the store, then placed bag inside small cooler. You can prop up the bag/bags with a towel or such to keep it from moving around. Maybe see if your lfs will give yu a couple bags....

this should keep them from getting temp shocked from going from warm tank to cold outside to warm car...
Post InfoPosted 27-Oct-2009 18:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited 28-Oct-2009 04:57
Transporting them in a cooler type box or bag and certainly do it during the warmest part of the day. I assume you have AC in the car as well. Just make sure they are packed firm (as suggested).

Also dont feed them before transporting them.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 02:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Just make sure your LFS will actually take them, call them up and be sure they will take them and make appropriate arrangements before so they dont try to pull any stunts on you.

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 03:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
Guys 40 degrees F not celcius. Its getting into winter time, you would want to transport them during the warmest part of the day and im sure your not using the AC right now lol.
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 04:32Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
lol. Yeah, not a very warm type of year around here, lol. Though it is supposed to be in the 60's this week (still waiting for that though). So yeah, definitely NO A/C! I would suggest transporting them somewhere between 12 and 3pm. Especially if you are in the middle or northern part of your state because it won't get as warm as southern Minnesota. If you lived somewhere say, around Winona, you should be able to transport them at pretty much any time of the day since that area is in a valley surrounded by bluffs (sorry. I went to college for a year there, so I remember the area well and though winter was cold, it wasn't nearly as bad as in other parts of the state).

Good luck!
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 04:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Sorry for that I have corrected it now.

This is Aust and at the moment we have just had floods more bush fires, and snow season just finishing in other parts of Aust.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 05:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
In addition to no morning feeding, propping the bags with towels in a cooler, I've found it's also very important to keep the fish dark. Since you skip morning feedings make sure the light doesn't come on in the tank as well. As soon as everyone is bagged and boxed pop a dark towel or blanket over the cooler box. Not only will it help with maintaining temperature but it'll also reduce light and noise.

Have the car temp as close to tank temp as possible. Keep them inside till you're ready to go then carefully settle them into the car padding the cooler box so it doesn't slide around. Final bit would be to leave the stereo off for the drive . Remember, fish lose color when they get stressed and if you're trying to sell to the LFS you'll want to present the fish while they're looking their best...something that may be a bit difficult after a 20 min drive.

Good luck !

^_^

Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 13:42Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
brandeeno is right, you've gotta make sure the store is gonna take them. I get store credit for bristlenose babies (it's quite fantastic, actually), but they probably won't pay for livebearer fry.

A cooler is your friend. You want to pack the fish with as much water as possible so the water maintains its temperature. If you don't mind the cooler being filled with fish water, you can fill the cooler itself with water and put the bag in that.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2009 16:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies