AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Where can you find paint for an outside cement koi pond?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhere can you find paint for an outside cement koi pond?
goldierowe
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
female us-florida
Anyone know if there is a special paint that is safe for fish, and where to get it? I was told that pool paint would work, as long as it cures for several weeks, but I am kinda leary of this advice.

I have a cement koi pond that needs to be fixed, then painted. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Post InfoPosted 28-Apr-2010 17:45Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
goldierowe.

I would help if we knew where you lived this might help some one to direct you to a particular store.

In general I would go to a speciality paint store and certainly not a paint section in a big hardware type store.

If you do not know of any paint stores go hunting for the top paint manufactures on the WWW and speak to them.

In your case it is ask the experts, if they cannot help you no one can.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2010 01:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
POND paint. There are types that are designed for use with fish and ones that include things that are toxic to help inhibit algae growth etc.

Our hardware store stocks 2 brands, both of which do a fish pond specific sealant/paint. The hardware store only stocks the one, but can get it in the other brand if necessary.

Contct the paint manufacturers directly too, as often they can give you far better advice on surface prep and sealing than anyone else

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 29-Apr-2010 15:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited 25-May-2010 11:25
Try here http://www.pondarmor.com/

What I like about this stuff is that it comes in clear (as well as solid colours) and is aquatic life safe. Means you can use it for sealing home made ornaments, or say if you paint something for inside the tank - you then seal it with clear pond amor and it's now safe for your fish.

Callatya, I looked for something like that in Bunnings but couldn't find it. Does what you are talking about also come in clear. I ended up buying pond armor from a guy in WA via ebay. He is the only Aussie reseller of the stuff.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 25-May-2010 06:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies