AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Would this garden product work more accurately than 0.5 step pH water test kit?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWould this garden product work more accurately than 0.5 step pH water test kit?
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 68
Votes: 3
male usa
EditedEdited by daddySEAL
Being also an avid gardener(as well a a fishkeeper), I'm looking for a dual use electronic instrument to measure pH and other things (related to soil, in those cases).

This product could be used in my garden,planted pots also, hopefully along with my many aquariums?

Would this work in my aquarium any better than 0.5 step pH readings of my water pH test kits?
(I already have multi-function water quality test strips and a water/drop pH kit...and am looking for something "metered" and graduated more precisely than "colors" every half step in pH values)

http://www.outsidepride.com/catalog/4-Way-Analyzer-p-17835.html
Post InfoPosted 11-Aug-2008 21:08Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
There is only one way to find out that is try it and see if it works.
I can see a massive problem when it is used in garden/potted soil mixes there are bound to be poisons/contaminants that those points come in contact with this means a complete and sterile cleaning before it should be used in a tank.
As far as I would be concerned not worth the bother. If you want to be that accurate in your ph readings there are more accurate ones around but these will cost you a fortune. Also if you are that worried about your Ph readings do a Ph test about every hr with the lights on and off and compare the differences I am sure you will get several readings.
Finally it would send you up the wall. I only use a PH buffer and if I think about it or I have a problem that is when I do a water test and then I get it done fully at the LFS free.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2008 02:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
for one, I would clean the electronic pH (soil) tester extremely thoughly before trying it in my aquarium.

But I do use Seachem Discus buffer every other day at the recommended amount for my tanks to step the pH down 0.5 at a time. No real lowering(still reading 8.0 on the color test after 6 days)!
I will do it a few more days and take a sample to my local FS. The Seachem seems to be making No difference with my water..dropper test color kit.
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2008 02:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Ironhand74
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 69
Votes: 295
male usa
well, I'm not sure about testing PH of soil, but if your interested in quality electronic water testing equipment,
check these guys out>>http://www.lamotte.com/
if your willing to drop the $$$$$, they can custom-build specific test equipment like a combo PH-conductivity-Temperature-nitrite in 1 unit, just gotta use multiple probes, even with electronic equipment, ya still usually need to calibrate probes with stabilized liquid mediums of some sort.... basically not that much different that a good quality titration test kit.... just more buttons to push, anywho, have a lookey-see ( alot of municipal water companies use this brand equip).

hope this might help

J.
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2008 03:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Could be several problems then if ph is not dropping (your test)
Your kit is not accurate or passed UBD or even stale & old
Do you have something in the tank causing that PH?

I would also get a full test direct from your water supply.
If I tested my water supply I would go crazy it is all over the place especially during the warmer months just before it gets full on summer.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2008 03:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
keithgh,
There is nothing in the tank that would leach alkaline.

My pH test kit is not "test strips", it's a vial with a certain number of drops added for that very reason. I don't want "stale" testing gear.

I'll check the water again tonight to see if it dropped the 0.5 step per dose directions for that size tank.

My FS owner is trying to sell me on a R/O, Di filter. But I'm resisting because of expence. I can buy MANY bottles of Discus Buffer for the $185 (US) the filters cost, plus many storage(five 5 gallon)jugs until water change time on this 125g tank.
any other ideas?
Post InfoPosted 12-Aug-2008 14:47Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
If your pH is stable I would not bother trying to adjust it. You will end up with fish in pH shock if it starts swinging up and down.
What is the pH when you are not using a buffer? Have you ever checked the KH of the water?

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2008 15:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Sorry for not responding to you sooner Lindy,
I haven't been well.
I'll check the levels and get back with you.
Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2008 22:19Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
No problem, hope you are feeling better

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2008 01:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
You are so kind...thank you, I'm better.

My tank has stabilized with good readings in everything now. The fish all seem happy and healthy/hungry.
Although my local water is a bit more alkaline than optimal, I won't "mess with the pH chemically" anymore, and they will get used to my water slowly over periodic water changes when the nitrate level indicates they are necessary.

thank you, Lindy
dS
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2008 21:18Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Good to hear that things are working out. I think sometimes too much emphasis is put on pH. The only time I would be really concerned with it is if I was purchasing wild fish, they are alot less adaptable to change.

Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2008 05:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Glad to hear every thing is OK now If I tested my water supply every day at different times it would drive me crazy. I use a good locally made PH buffer and fish and plants are all going well. Even in the wild the Ph will vary a lot especially after rains or the opposite long spells without rains.

I have never tested it but I believe a tank varies during the day and over the water change period.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2008 08:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daddySEAL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Thank you all.
I didn't post it initially, but I got myself into the "upside down" pH situation by crafting a large cave for fish to hide in....but found out that some of the rocks I used were limestone (which of course, leached alkalinity into the water and hardened it). Once I realized the problem with the changing pH, I removed the rock formation I'd made, and thru water changes and the buffer, finally got things back into a lower pH range, as my fish need.

I'm gathering non-limestone rocks for a new cave to be siliconed together soon.

Thank You all,
I learn more all the time and appreciate the great partication of knowledgable, more experienced fishkeepers than I here on this great forum!
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2008 19:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies