L# a triops with a betta?
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribea triops with a betta?
ztb23
Hobbyist
Kudos: 137
Votes: 0
EditedEdited 23-Jan-2014 08:03
upon doing some research i know that a triop and a betta have compatible water parameters, but after letting one grow up, would putting it in the betta tank be a bad idea? i know that triops are very active but my betta is very mellow and doesnt seem to mind alot of motion. the betta is kept in a 1.5 gallon hex tank, a planted cyperus helferi to help nitrogen cycle and oxygenate the tank, and water temp is kept at 80 degrees F. my concern for the triops health in the water is that i dont yet know the chemical levels of the water, but that aside, could a triop and betta coexist in a tank together? Also Frank i know im asking alot of questions and i hope im not annoying you with them. so far youve been a tremendous help to me and i greatly appreciate it.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2014 07:55Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
"A WHAT?" "A Triops." Never heard of the critter, so, I looked it up. Where ever in the world did you come up with that, much less want to put it in your tank? In the couple articles I looked at, I did not see a prefered temperature. They can grow to three inches. Definately not a good idea for the 2.5g tank. They come from two different worlds and they are not a critter that a betta would recognize as a friend or foe and as such, if it got running around the tank, it might scare the stuffing out of the betta. I'd be concerned that it might come upon your prized betta while it was resting on the bottom and it might maul the betta.

There are all sorts of fish that are compatable with a betta, but all that is mute if you are going to breed it as they (the other fish) would be in the way. You would wind up placing the male in his own tank, alone, and encouraging the breeding process (see my other answer) and then when the fry were free swimming, moving the male back into the community tank to recover (he rarely eats while tending the fry), and then back again when you have raised the brood to the point where you get rid of them and are ready to start again.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2014 00:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ztb23
Hobbyist
EditedEdited 24-Jan-2014 01:00
they are rather e to eat whatever other living thing is in the tank if there isnt enough food. as babies they will actually cannibalize. also theyre very much like brine shrimp in how they hatch, their water parameters (aside from brine shrimp being salt water) and what they eat. i would like a bottom feeder with the betta also, again to help get rid of decomposing food on the bottom. i thought of the triops first primarily because of how active it is. in larger tanks, 20 or 30 gallon, they can coexist peacefully, but bettas often can coexist with other fish in larger tanks as long as theyre established before adding the betta so that the betta wont territorialize. (if thats a word?) would a pair of tiger shrimp work or would they be too colorful for the betta?
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2014 00:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ztb23
Hobbyist
the censored word is pro ne..... as in a behavior that is consistently displayed...
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2014 00:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I would not put any "Shark" in the tank with a betta. Small pigmy cordilla catfish would be ideal. In the larger tank, you would want at least three, and preferably five as they school. They are constantly active moving around the bottom and won't bother the betta in the least bit.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2014 23:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kimberly808

Small Fry
Kudos: 2
female usa
There aren't too many fish species that you can put with a betta fish. Maybe if you had a larger community tank where fish can hide very easily and run away. Female bettas are a lot easier to keep with other "tropical fish" than a male. I've seen males even kill females just for being in the same tank with them. http://bettafishcaretaker.com/video/

My advice would be to go with a couple of females and you can get lots of selections for tank mates. But if you go with a male... you can either choose from very fast tetras or maybe some catfish .. depending on trial and error.

I'm a bit lost on what your desires are on breeding?
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2014 17:56Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Qison
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Recently, I came to visit my relatives and saw they bought freshwater fishes, they looked very unusual and I wanted to put an aquarium with similar fishes at my home. I asked my uncle, how much do they cost and he said that this is not the biggest problem,you have to look after them very carefully, so my desire abruptly disappeared, but he made me happy that problem can be easily solved, because there is a web-site, where you can find all the information about fish and how to care for them.I listened to my uncle, went to buy fishes and I will find out everything about them through this website [https://aquariumfishcity.com/]. I hope, this will help me!
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2021 14:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Qison
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Recently, I came to visit my relatives and saw they bought freshwater fishes, they looked very unusual and I wanted to put an aquarium with similar fishes at my home. I asked my uncle, how much do they cost and he said that this is not the biggest problem,you have to look after them very carefully, so my desire abruptly disappeared, but he made me happy that problem can be easily solved, because there is a web-site, where you can find all the information about fish and how to care for them.I listened to my uncle, went to buy fishes and I will find out everything about them through this website [https://aquariumfishcity.com/]. I hope, this will help me!
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2021 14:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies