Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribegood algea munchers?
1st_signer

Hobbyist
Kudos: 49
Votes: 1
male usa us-california
EditedEdited 06-Apr-2010 01:19
well i had a 40 gallon with like 6-7 fish in it but downgraded b/c i have almost no time in my scedual for that much maintnence and my pleco's died so i now have good 20 gallon tanks with 1 rummy nose 2 platys 4 mollies and 1 betta (bettas real nice to every one) and i just wantd to know what are sum good algea eaters that will do a good job like the plecos but but wont over crowed the tanks? amy ideas? thanks.

>>>>>>a learning experience as an aquarist can be fun but you must be ready to take and obey advice and criticism but most of all be patient<<<<<<<
Post InfoPosted 06-Apr-2010 01:18Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
1st_signer

A very good algae is the Siamese Algae Eater.

What ever you do dont get a Chinese Algae Eater it will take a liking to all your fish as it gets older.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 06-Apr-2010 02:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
male usa us-california
so itl try to eat them? ok but i need a better alge disposer my mollies seem to like it but they cany do it them selfs

>>>>>>a learning experience as an aquarist can be fun but you must be ready to take and obey advice and criticism but most of all be patient<<<<<<<
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2010 00:19Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
Otocinclus are also good at munching and you could easily have up to 5 in a 20 gal. SAE will grow to about 6 inches so 1 is all I would put in a 20 gal tank. SAE are also harder to identify so if you do decide to get one study the difference between the CAE, false siamese algae eater and the flying fox. Just curious, do you have an algae problem?
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2010 07:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
male usa us-california
what does evry one think about snails b/c my buddy recomended those?

Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2010 00:13Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
EditedEdited 09-Apr-2010 22:21
I know you want to add more fish (as we all do!) but in a 20g you really are limited. I think snails would add more waste than do good.
How about cleaning the algae? If its on the glass you've only got to wipe it off. What sort of algae is is? Brown, green, stringy? Algae presence can be reduced by looking at your water quality etc.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2010 22:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
male usa us-california
EditedEdited 10-Apr-2010 03:01
yea im tryinfg to stay under my limmit but its like brownish algea that grows on it and i just want like 2 more fish my betta died of old age today so im down to 4 mollies, 2 paltys and 1 rummy nose tetra (which should drop any day now to b/c its kinda old also) but iwant sum fish for it b/c the alge grows on the decorations and the like glass but does anyone know if replacing the subtrate has any affect on that b/c i wanna get rid of the chezzy colorful rocks and all fine gravel or sand

Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2010 02:59Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
a bristlenose pleco will take care of most of the brown algae for you. Be sure to use bottom feeder tablet food when there is no visible aglae for it to eat. BN's often die of starvation because people dont realise its not getting food.
Change the substrate before you add anything else to the tank.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2010 03:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
male usa us-california
EditedEdited 12-Apr-2010 22:56
will sand do good in fresh water tank? beacuse i also want grvel and i kinda want a better idea im still an ameture i need lots of help i raised gold fish when i was young and that was wrong even then i didnt know that my tank was to small for them or what the white spots on them where i really apreciate this guys thanks for all the help

Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2010 22:55Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Sand is fine in a freshwater tank, just don't get coral sand, aragonite sand, or any other sand with calcium carbonate, which will buffer the water and raise the pH.

You have to be careful with sand. Sand can compact and cement together, forming anaerobic pockets (no oxygen) which accumulate toxic gases such as hydrogen sulfide. To prevent this, you must regularly mix the sand if it is any thicker than a couple millimeters. My experience is that most bottom feeders actually don't dig past the very top layer.

You'll also want to watch out for any power filter; a power filter that takes in sand can have their impeller cut up by sand that enters it, so if your power filter intake is near the bottom you may have to raise it a little so that it's a few inches away from the sand. Cleaning sand with a gravel siphon is also a bit trickier, because the sand is lighter so it is more likely to get sucked up.

Also, you can't really mix sand with gravel; eventually the gravel moves to the top and the sand trickles down, so if you have them together you just end up with gravel on top and you can't even see the sand.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2010 01:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
1st_signer

Hobbyist
male usa us-california
EditedEdited 20-Apr-2010 00:12
well gravel is probly the easiest chose then b/c red white green and purple graved got on my nerves after the firtst 2 day of having it and the sand requires alot of maintenence and the reason this thread is up is b/c i dont have time

Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2010 00:09Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
well, I had what I thought looked like a major algae bloom in my tank, a 29gal. My pleco had passed so I was lookin for a newe one. I got a small bristlenosed pleco and within 2 days she had the walls clean and was working on the bottom.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2010 08:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Lindys right don't forget to feed them once they've cleaned the tank! An supplement to algae discs is some thawed veggies. I like feeding frozen peas that have been thawed and had their outer shell removed. You can also try a leaf of lettuce tied to a small rock or piece of wood. Just be sure to remove any leftovers after a few hours and feed them something fresh the next time.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2010 03:15Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies