L# algae problem
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribealgae problem
alfieferenzo84
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 32
male usa
Hi everyone. Been along time sense last post. I have been doing this for years but only kept fish only. I just started adding corals and im having issues with algae. I have always had algae due to high nitrates but now its different. I have been keeping my tank at zero nitrates and the algae is kinda getting worse and covering my corals. before fish only didnt care but now its killing them.

Tank is 120gal 48x24x24. 3 korall power heads. 3in live sand, about 100lb of alor live rock. few fish, crabs, snails, starfish ect. Some soft corals. Lights are cree with optics 120watt x 2 panels running at 25% for 12hrs a day now only 10 hrs. The tank was setup a year ago but the rocks i have had for over 5years. sand was new. Im changing about 20-40 gal a mo.

perm. 1.025, 76f, ph 8.4, 5.4dkh,1.93alk, no ammonia or nitrite, Nitrates stay under 2. I use a few test kits just to make sure there good. Nitrate i use 3 api, red sea, salifert. I dont test for anything else or dose the tank.

The algae grows back in a few days. its brown hair like.

pics are from different times so you all can see. Any help on id or what to do would be great. Thanks

also the pics at the end are current pics i just changed water and cleaned some sand out...

http://s278.beta.photobucket.com/use...4/library/tank

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2571255/2
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2013 14:31Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Welcome back!

I think your solution might just lie with the Stared post post a couple of posts above your question. There are 8 pages of information in that section. The "secret" lies with building a place for the algae to grow outside of your main tank. By encouraging its growth, the algae scrubber removes excess nitrate and phosphate from your system, and you can use the cultivated algae for other purposes.

Take a look at this: http://fishprofiles.com/forums/General_Marine/Mega_Powerful_Nitrate_and_Phos/38168/

I think it will be worth your while to read it from front to back.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2013 18:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
danniwavy
Small Fry
Kudos: 1
Votes: 0
male usa us-california
Nice information Frank. Thanks for sharing the link.
Post InfoPosted 19-Dec-2017 06:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies