Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe5 Gallon Hex Stocking!
edwardorino
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 8
Votes: 1
EditedEdited by edwardorino
Hello! I just got a 5 gallon hex for my office! I'm going to plant some anacharis, java fern, and maybe some type of crypt. It's got that Bio-Wheel filter, and it'll have a heater. I'll illuminate with a 15W compact fluorescent and dose with Flourish weekly. Here's what I want to stock . . .

1 half moon, or crowntail male betta.
2 pit bull plecos

With about 18 cm, we're talking 7.1 inches of fish in the 5 gallon hex. I plan to gravel vac 1-2x week w/ 20-40% water change. If you guys and gals think the pit bull plecos will be too much of a bio-load, I'll go with 2-3 ottos. Thanks for your help!
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 02:58Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Way too overstocked.

The inch per gallon "rule" doesn not work really especially in tanks under 10 gallons.

I'd suggest sticking with just the betta in the planted tank. Once the tank is firmly established you may be able to consider some shrimp or other small bottom feeders.

Even pit bull plecos would be too big for that sized tank, IMO.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 03:56Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
edwardorino
-----
Fingerling
What's your opinion on ottos then? I'm more than happy to feed them blanched veggies when they are done cleaning the tank!
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 04:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
You certainly would be well over stocked for such a small tank. The smaller the tank the harder it is to maintain as there is very little room to make any mistakes or any unsuspected problems that occur.
One male Betta as Babel sugested then add some thing smaller would be an idea. You could consider a few Khuli Loaches as they are fantastic bottom cleaners (well mine are)

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 04:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
edwardorino
-----
Fingerling
Thanks keith,

What is your opinion of adding 2-3 ottos with the Betta?
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 06:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Needeles
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 65
Votes: 52
male usa
Hello, otto's are hard to take care of. They are a real touchy fish and in a 5g tank the levels may rise and fall alot. This will end up killing them. Go with a betta or get a few Cherry Barbs. As you will have a good amount of plants in the tank the Cherries will be happy. They only get to alittle over an inch in size and do not need other cherries to be happy. They are also a very nice red color if you get males. I would go for 3 cherries, 2 female & 1 male, then you should get a couple small Shrimp to keep the bottom cleaner. Not alot of fish will work for a 5g tank as most just simply need more space. Even a betta will be happier in a 10g over a 5g tank. Just my thoughts

Live life to it's fullest
Who knows what tomorrow holds
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 07:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have no troubles with my Ottos at all. Yes it is a 11g but if you looked after the tank correctly and prepared to put in the work there should be no problem. My tank has a lot of DW also the Ottos were in excellent condition when I bought them. I personally think this is the biggest problem when buying them as some LFS have no idea how to look after them and they are often starved before you buy them.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 10:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
IME ottos and bettas do not mix well in the same tank. For one ottos prefer cooler temperatures, while bettas prefer warmer temps.
Additionally ottos generally prefer faster moving water, while many bettas will throw a fit at a small ammount of water movement.
Also, as has been pointed to previously, ottos are rather finicky at times when it comes to their water. With that sized tank water changes need to be done more frequently and that may cause additional complications with the ottos.

That being said, many will claim that they've kept ottos and bettas more than happy together in the same tank. IMO it's not really worth the effort. In that sized tank you wont have an algae problem as the tank should be more than easy enough to maintain.

I really would not suggest ottos for this tank.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 15:28Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
Hex tanks have much less surface area than a rectangular tank also. I would only go with a betta. Give him some plants to lay on and he'll be very happy. I don't think there will be much room for anything else...and shrimp are likely to get eaten.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 08-Jul-2006 19:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
I agree that hexes are hard to keep, but I've had good luck with a betta and 2 African dwarf frogs, and I did have 3 ottos in there as well. The ottos always looked a bit thin and sickly to me, but they stayed in there for 6 months with no deaths, so either I got lucky with unkillable ottos, or they were able to subsist in that small a tank. They are much happier in my planted 30, though. If you want an algae eater for that tank, nerite snails would probably be your best bet.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 10-Jul-2006 19:47Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
edwardorino
-----
Fingerling
Thanks everyone! Once my tank is cycled, I'll post what I put in there.
Post InfoPosted 12-Jul-2006 04:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies