Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMy 37 gallon Aquarium
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
EditedEdited 27-Sep-2009 02:09
Lol, thank you Babel. Yeah, I did a water test last night, and it STILL is up in Nitrites. It was a little hard to figure out exactly where the color matched. So much so that I'm guessing it's between two of the points. Somewhere between 1.0 and 2.0. So, it still seems to be climbing, and I keep hoping it goes down SOON because I want my fish.

And yeah, the aquarium sealent seems to have done the trick, although I am a little nervous because of the rubbery texture. It seems to give the mended arm a little more give than I'd like, so while it was drying, I applied more sealent to act like a reinforced brace. Hopefully I'll be able to get it back into the tank tomorrow afternoon.

So, you said it took ages for the nitrites to come down? In my tank it's already been a week. Am I looking at another week, or more, or less? Because technically, this week is going to start week six, so I'm hoping it doesn't take much longer than six weeks.

Oh, and bio-wheels seem to be part of any standard aquarium setup when you buy a decent sized (anything over 10 gallons) aquarium around here. Yeah, I'll probably wind up rinsing it off on occasion in warm water.
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2009 02:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
When a fish's life is on the line, it pays to be patient. As far as nitrites, you could be going for three or four weeks. I'm a little surprised that your cycle is going on for so long; I'd have guessed that the typical cycle would last 4-6 weeks. It varies.

There's not any real reason to flush the bio-wheel, except perhaps to make sure there isn't a lot of physically large gunk on it and to make sure it keeps turning.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 27-Sep-2009 02:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Yeah, well, I just very recently calculated out that though I've had the tank for about 8 weeks now, the first two or three were spent losing fish (week 1 and 2), treating the tank (week two and three), and during week three to week four was when I finished up the medicating of the tank, cleaning it out, doing the major water change to make sure that everything was OK to begin cycling, so really it's only been cycling for about 4 or 5 weeks now legitimately. So I'm guessing you are right and I have about another two or three weeks at this point.

And yeah, I know I need to be patient. I'm just at the point that I nearly cry now whenever I look at the tank. But I definitely don't want to lose any more fish. Though, the longer it takes for my tank to finish cycling, the more I keep changing my mind on what fish I want.

I still want the gourami and the loaches and at least one frog, but I keep going back and forth between german blue rams and bolivian rams, and now instead of doing two frogs, I'm thinking one frog and one dragon goby now. My tank water is heated to about 77/78 degrees, which I know is at the high end for them, but should be alright, and the water in my tank is constantly moving so that should be good for him too. Plus, I have the dragons and the fake log so that is plenty of things for him to climb on.

So as of right now I'm planning for:

3 gold longfin danios (for "test" fish)
3 dwarf honey sunset gourami
either 3 german blue rams OR 2 bolivian rams (any thoughts from you all on which you think would be better would be VERY helpful. I really am having trouble deciding between them)
2 kuhlii loaches
1 frog
1 dragon goby

So, that would be either 12 or 13 fish total depending on which rams I get.

I have a feeling someone here is going to tell me not to get the goby. If so, please tell me why because I really think he's a cute little guy and I think he'd make a good addition to the tank (once I can finally start stocking it!) and so, if not, I'd really like to know why he wouldn't be good for my tank.

Thanks!
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2009 02:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Dragon gobies AKA violet gobies would certainly be an unusual addition. They get fairly big (up to 21" but I've never seen one that big). Violet gobies are sedentary and rather bendy, which makes them ideal choices for smaller aquaria than most fish that are equally long, but suffice to say a 37 gallon isn't a permanent home for a violet goby.

There is the possibility that the dragon goby will be picky and not take normal pellet foods like other fish, requiring foods (at least in the beginning) such as bloodworms, brine shrimp, and such (you can get these frozen at your fish store). Their natural behavior is to sift sand through their gills to pick out small pieces of food. Although this isn't technically necessary in the aquarium, it is preferable to provide sand for these guys because of this. I have also read they like to burrow into sand.

Finally, violet gobies are primarily brackish fish, although they can live in freshwater.

Boosting the numbers in your schools would be good...

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2009 17:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited 06-Oct-2009 03:01
Um, hmm.... Well, that's interesting. Cause according to the profiles page on this site it said that the dragon goby only gets to be 2". It's listed under: Rhinogobius Wui with common name listings being: Dragon Goby, Hong Kong Goby, Red Cheeked Goby, Red Throated Goby, and White Cheeked Goby.

OK, nevermind. I just looked at the sheet I had printed out, and it's saying "White Cheeked Goby." Is there a difference between the White Cheeked Goby and a Dragon Goby? If so, why are they listed under the same Latin name? This is so confusing!

And yeah, it says under "diet" that they're a Carnivore. I have no problem with that if they'll eat frozen brine shrimp or something (I am NOT keeping live brine shrimp. No how, no way!)

Anyway, thank you for bringing to my attention that there may be a difference between a Dragon Goby and a White Cheeked Goby. Because the Fish Profiles section that the Goby is under lists them as only getting to be 2" long and that they're perfect for 10 gallon and up tanks. And except for being able to provide sand for it, I have met all the other requirements. There's just no way I can realistically add sand to my tank with the kind of gravel I already have in there. It would just sink to the bottom of the tank beneath the existing gravel and be rather pointless.

Also, thank you for bringing to my attention the brackish bit too. I totally missed that part in the title "Freshwater & Brackish Fish", lol. All my mind focussed on was "Freshwater Fish."

It just looks like it would be a fun fish to have in the tank.
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2009 02:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited 06-Oct-2009 03:03
So, OK. My list(s) of possible/probable fish are as follows:

3-4 Gold Longfin Danios
3 Dwarf Honey Sunset Gourami
2 Bolivian Rams
2 Dwarf African Frogs
2-3 Kuhlii loaches (would be added second to last)
1 Siamese Algae Eater (would be added last)

3-4 Gold Longfin Danios
3-4 Bolivian Rams
1 Dwarf African Frog
1 White Cheeked Goby
3-4 Kuhlii Loaches (would be added second to last)

3-4 Gold Longfin Danios
3-4 Bolivian Rams
2 White Cheeked Gobies
3-4 Kuhlii Loaches (would be added second to last)

I was leaning toward German Blue Rams, but Bolivians seem to be hardier so I decided to go with them instead. And I know I've chosen a lot of fish that are not the norm (especially in my area) but that is what I want. I want different/unusual. And I'm seriously leaning toward list 2 or 3. The fish in list 2 and 3 seem to be closer together in temperature range, and also seem to eat a lot of the same foods.
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2009 02:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
My mistake was due to common names. The violet goby Gobioides broussonetti is also called the dragon goby or dragonfish at times, and I assumed that was the fish you were talking about because it is more common. You can even find it at big chain stores! I've never seen a Rhinogobius wui in person. R. wui is a completely different fish from G. broussonetti... Anyway, apparently R. wui is rather hardy, so it would probably be fine in your tank.

Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2009 18:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Oh, I see. Thank you. Good to know, because he really looks like a cute little guy. I'll talk to the fish guy and see if they either have one (or two) or if, like the Bolivian Rams, they can order them in (because they don't have Bolivian Rams on hand, but they're willing to get them for me).

Thanks again Shingami!
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2009 18:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
ACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a call from the fish store I want to buy my fish from. They got in the Bolivian Rams I want and I can't buy them because my tank is still cycling!!!!!!!!!!!

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2009 02:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited 15-Oct-2009 14:10
Ask them about their holding policy. Some stores let you put a "down payment" and they will hold fish for you until you are ready. Especially if they ordered the fish for you, I don't think they will mind. One of the stores I like do not have an actual holding policy, but I'm buddies with the manager so he held them for me.

Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2009 14:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
I talked to them this morning... For a down payment, they'll hold the fish for only 5 days, maybe a few days after that, but if my tank still isn't ready, they won't hold the fish any longer, and my down payment turns into a credit (no refunds).

Charming. *sigh*

The gal I did talk to on the phone did tell me that maybe I should add another air stone (though, I already have two) so I'm going to pick up another air stone tonight and hope that this will help move things along. This is SOOOOOOO frustrating.

All I can hope now is that my tank finishes cycling soon, and that if it does, there's still fish left at the store (they got 12 in) and then I can get them. I'm not holding my breath though. My luck in things tends to royally suck.
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2009 17:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
So, OK... I bought an air bubble wand and another 10 gallon air pump (which should bring total air equal to a 40 gallon). I also bought a fake rock cave to replace that stupid "Wonder Rock" that is causing my PH levels to skyrocket. Now I just have to install everything...
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2009 03:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited 16-Oct-2009 20:17
I'd be tempted to just get the fish and do daily water changes, but that's not necessarily a good idea unless you're watching your tank levels like a hawk to keep them from going up high... You should be progressing with your cycle. Although aeration will help with your bacteria, it's not like the tank needs to have its water churning like a boiling pot of water for the bacteria to grow.

Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2009 20:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Believe me, I've been tempted to go in and get the danios at least. But this store has a rigid policy, and if the water levels aren't right, they won't sell the fish, and I don't want to risk going somewhere else.

So, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2009 20:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
I.......... HAVE........ FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The cycle FINALLY finished somewhere between 2:30am this morning, and 1:30pm this afternoon!

Babel, lol, I probably did a happy dance to outdo any happy dance, lol. My cat jumped on me and my dog freaked, lol.

I ran one errand and then I raced off to the fish store! WHOO HOO!!!!!!!! I put a down payment on two beautiful Bolivian Rams, and then I bought two Dwarf African Frogs, and 3 New Guinea Rainbow Fish. OK, the Rainbow fish weren't what I went in to find, but when I saw them and was talking to the fish guy, he said they'd be fine in the tank with the Rams, and they'd be fine with the frogs. So, yeah, lol. I now have two little frogs, and 3 rainbow fish.

And they're going to order my goby and have it in next week! I'm so excited! My tank is FINALLY coming together! YAY!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought it would finish cycling! But it did!

And the frogs are so cute! One minute you don't see them, and then suddenly.... ziiiiiip! There goes one, shooting across the tank, lol. I just wish the rainbow fish would come out of the corner.

Once everyone is more settled in the tank and less stressed, I'll try taking some pictures of them. I may or may not be able to get pictures of the frogs, lol. They're very tiny and there's LOTS of places for them to disappear into, and they aren't going and hanging out where I thought they would.
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2009 00:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
There are several species of rainbowfish from New Guinea... What species do you have? Check the profiles, I think we have most of them. With the addition of rainbows, I would not put in danios.

By the way, test the water soon to make sure you don't get a spike in ammonia or nitrites after adding new fish.

Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2009 03:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Hi Shinigami,

Yeah, lol. I'm not adding danios. These are in place of the danios.

I apparently do need floating plants though. Only one of the rainbows would come out with the lights on, but when the lights went out.... boom! There went the fish, all over the tank.

So, I'm going to pick up floating plants, and more regular "rooting" plants.
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2009 05:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
OK, so, it's been a week since I first got my fish, and they're all doing fine.

This morning I went back to the fish store and picked up my Bolivian Rams. I paid off the remainder of my deposit, and in addition to the Rams, I got two little Zipper Loaches.

Wow, those loaches are very interesting! They look like a cross between a catfish, a fish, and a lizard. And I love how they "sit" on their little side fins. After putting them into the tank, they began sparring off with each other for a while, and now they are just all over the tank.

The Rams are taking a little longer to adjust, but they've definitely helped make the New Guinea Rainbow fish more boistrous! The one that had been hiding out at the back of the tank, obsessed with the mirror now suddenly has come out and plays with the other Rainbow fish. It's like they were all lonely and now that the Rams are there they are happy that they have new "playmates" even though the Rams seem to want nothing to do with the Rainbows, lol.

I don't yet have names for the Rams, but I named the loaches Zippy, and Boo.

I'm getting my Goby and my Kuhlii Loaches next week.

And the PH, Ammonia, and Nitrites are all within expected paramaters.

And they're all happy in the tank and swim around and through, and above and below everything, lol.
Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2009 06:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Hi all! Just thought I'd stop by and say hi and let you all know that my fish and frogs are all doing fine. The rams have calmed down and don't fight much now. My little frog (Killroy) is not so little anymore. He's at least an inch long now! But poor little Kermie is still about the same size as when I got him and I bought them both at the same time (about three weeks ago now). So, I'm a little concerned that he's not getting as much to eat as Killroy.

At any rate, they all seem happy and healthy, and I'm really enjoying them. I'm still waiting for my goby though. And I plan to pick up the kuhlii loaches on Friday.

Take care everyone! And thank you again for all your help and advice!
Post InfoPosted 04-Nov-2009 06:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Competition for food can be a problem. Try something like feeding on both ends of the tank so the two frogs can be on opposite sides of the tank when eating so they don't have to compete.

Post InfoPosted 04-Nov-2009 17:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
I do try that, lol. Only problem is, the frogs tend to hide and I can't always see where they are, and the fish tend to get a lot of the food in the meantime. I've upped feedings to three times a day now. Two flake feedings, and one shrimp feeding. They all LOVE the shrimp. All I can hope is that he gets enough to survive. I'm just afraid of feeding too much.
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2009 07:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Three times a day is a ton of food, just sayin'.

Do the frogs come out after lights out? Perhaps try feeding then. I've never kept cichlids, mostly since I know most of them would intercept food before any of my catfishes would get to it...

Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2009 19:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited 07-Nov-2009 09:32
I'm just following what the guy at the fish store told me to do. Though I do want to cut back on the portions I'm feeding them.

The frogs come out during the day and at night. It doesn't seem to matter.

The Rams don't get all the food. They get some, but some of it gets past them. They tend to stay toward the middle and bottom, so the heirarchy seems to go:

New Guinea Rainbows
Bolivian Rams
zipper loaches and frogs (they seem to be in a tie for getting food)

The only time that the Rams have an edge on the food is when I feed them picene shrimp. The rams and frogs get to the shrimp first, and then if the New Guinea Rainbows get down to the bottom, sometimes they'll get some shrimp, and then the zipper loaches get what's left over because they can scavenge and get into crevices that the others can't.

But if it's flake food, the New Guineas get to it first.

Oh, I saw green tiger barbs today. They were really cool. Of course, so were the phantom glass cats and the freshwater lionfish I saw.
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2009 09:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Well, the second frog looks like he's getting a little bit bigger. All of my other fish seem to be doing well. I'm still waiting for my white-cheeked goby, but I'm being patient (for once) and I'm enjoying all my other fish in the meantime.

The only thing I hate about the tank is doing the cleanings. It takes me about two hours on average to clean out the tank and scrub down the plants and decorations and then dump the water and replace them. But it's worth it because all the fish get really happy after each water change.

One of my kuhli loaches has been displaying odd behavior. He flies around the tank and I'll find him in the oddest places (such as crawling around plants like a caterpillar and munching on the algae growing there). I know he's getting food to eat because I've watched him eat shrimp and flake food and veggie wafers, so I don't know why he insists on being so active and going all over the place and finally landing in plants. Oh well.

I just added wernerai rainbows this past Tuesday. They had a couple of initial mishaps with the New Guinea Rainbows and the rams, but after everyone figured out that they're not food, everyone settled down and leaves the werneri rainbows alone. It's pretty cool.

Anyway, just figured I'd give a heads up.

Also, I'm really happy because it looks like the brown algae is FINALLY starting to die off. I don't know what changed, but I'm glad it did.

Take care everyone and have a happy Thanksgiving!
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2009 11:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies