L# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMy 37 gallon Aquarium
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
I do try that, lol. Only problem is, the frogs tend to hide and I can't always see where they are, and the fish tend to get a lot of the food in the meantime. I've upped feedings to three times a day now. Two flake feedings, and one shrimp feeding. They all LOVE the shrimp. All I can hope is that he gets enough to survive. I'm just afraid of feeding too much.
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2009 07:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Three times a day is a ton of food, just sayin'.

Do the frogs come out after lights out? Perhaps try feeding then. I've never kept cichlids, mostly since I know most of them would intercept food before any of my catfishes would get to it...

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2009 19:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited 07-Nov-2009 09:32
I'm just following what the guy at the fish store told me to do. Though I do want to cut back on the portions I'm feeding them.

The frogs come out during the day and at night. It doesn't seem to matter.

The Rams don't get all the food. They get some, but some of it gets past them. They tend to stay toward the middle and bottom, so the heirarchy seems to go:

New Guinea Rainbows
Bolivian Rams
zipper loaches and frogs (they seem to be in a tie for getting food)

The only time that the Rams have an edge on the food is when I feed them picene shrimp. The rams and frogs get to the shrimp first, and then if the New Guinea Rainbows get down to the bottom, sometimes they'll get some shrimp, and then the zipper loaches get what's left over because they can scavenge and get into crevices that the others can't.

But if it's flake food, the New Guineas get to it first.

Oh, I saw green tiger barbs today. They were really cool. Of course, so were the phantom glass cats and the freshwater lionfish I saw.
Post InfoPosted 07-Nov-2009 09:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Well, the second frog looks like he's getting a little bit bigger. All of my other fish seem to be doing well. I'm still waiting for my white-cheeked goby, but I'm being patient (for once) and I'm enjoying all my other fish in the meantime.

The only thing I hate about the tank is doing the cleanings. It takes me about two hours on average to clean out the tank and scrub down the plants and decorations and then dump the water and replace them. But it's worth it because all the fish get really happy after each water change.

One of my kuhli loaches has been displaying odd behavior. He flies around the tank and I'll find him in the oddest places (such as crawling around plants like a caterpillar and munching on the algae growing there). I know he's getting food to eat because I've watched him eat shrimp and flake food and veggie wafers, so I don't know why he insists on being so active and going all over the place and finally landing in plants. Oh well.

I just added wernerai rainbows this past Tuesday. They had a couple of initial mishaps with the New Guinea Rainbows and the rams, but after everyone figured out that they're not food, everyone settled down and leaves the werneri rainbows alone. It's pretty cool.

Anyway, just figured I'd give a heads up.

Also, I'm really happy because it looks like the brown algae is FINALLY starting to die off. I don't know what changed, but I'm glad it did.

Take care everyone and have a happy Thanksgiving!
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2009 11:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies