Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMy 37 gallon Aquarium
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Pakistani Loach and Yoyo Loach are one in the same. I have them and they are a riot! They love to wiggle into the gravel, but not very deep. Just deep enough to find any tidbits that were missed at feeding time. They also love to eat baby pond snails and ghost shrimp. They do love to play with each other, but they also play well with my barbs. I've even caught them pacing the tank with them.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 10-Sep-2009 23:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
Thank you Shinigami, though I'm a little confused. I didn't choose very many bottom feeders. The profile section said that gouramis use the top and middle of the tank. The only bottom species I was looking at besides the frogs was the loaches. So, like I said, I'm confused.

Kelly, thank you. If I can find a yoyo loach, I'll consider it. Right now though, nobody seems to carry either the kuhlii or the yoyo loach. At least, neither of the big chains (which are national). So, maybe it's a regional thing, because I have yet to find them.

Interesting on the adding of the gourami, but that does make me happy. It means getting more fish quickly, lol.

And yeah, I saw the picture of the zebra pleco. VERY beautiful, and yes, I also saw that it's not being exported right now. Quite a shame, but I also saw how big it gets, so that ruled that one out for me anyway, lol.

Perhaps if I can ever manage to get a bigger tank. The only problem is that besides me having no one to help me get a bigger tank in the house, the only place I'd have room for it would be in my basement, and there's not much point in that, lol.

I'm sorry if I've been spamming. I haven't meant to. I didn't actually think I was.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your help, I definitely appreciate it!
Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2009 04:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
It never hurts to ask the store if they will be getting some in. I noticed they will sometimes do a rotation on certain fish. For example, they may carry neon tetras for 2-3 months, then carry black neon tetras for 2-3, and then a different tetra and so on. But they keep the "standard" stock in all the time. You know whatever sells the most will always be in stock.

I like the kuhli loachs too... But my husband says it looks to eel/snake like for him.

OH and you haven't spammed anyone. It's a joke they run with sometimes around here!

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2009 14:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Ah, when I said you picked a lot of bottom feeders, it was in reference to naming about a dozen or more bottom feeder species before you cut it down to just kuhli loaches.

On the topic of adding your gourami all at the same time, remember that you must keep tabs on your water quality and do water changes if things go out of whack, as can happen any time you add many fish at the same time. But because gourami are territorial, setting them up with equal footing at the same time seems like the best option. If you still have aggression, then as I said, it simply can't be done and you'll have to take some of the gourami out.

All my tanks are in the basement...

Haha, you're not spamming, Babel and I are just joking around.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2009 19:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited 11-Sep-2009 21:26
OK, good to know I wasn't spamming, thank you.

And yeah, that's why I like the kuhlii loaches. BECAUSE they look eel-like!

Well, I'm really hoping that the honey sunset and dwarf neon gourami won't hate each other. I think, (as I said, I think) when I looked at the profiles, I remember clicking on the "compatable species" link and I remember it saying that they should be compatable, but I'll double check. If not, then I really want the sunset gourami, and I'll keep those on my list, and just try and find two other fish that I can put in there with them.

I'm just not sure what else I'd want to put in the tank. Swordtails, maybe?

Thanks again!

P.S. (the list of bottom feeders I made was just different ideas of the types I found and was interested in, lol. I was never planning on putting ALL of those in one tank! I just gave the list to see what you all thought of those different types, and which ones you thought were best)

Edit:

Oh my.... OK, looking at the compatability list again, I have good news: Yes, the neon gourami are compatable with the honey sunset gourami.

Bad news? I think I just found a species I like better that is only 4" max, and is compatable with the sunset gourami and other fish, and is really, really pretty!!!!

That species?

Mikrogeophagus altispinosus
Common Names:
Bolivian Butterfly
Bolivian Ram
Clown Ruby Cichlid
Ruby Cichlid

That's all one fish btw, lol (though since you all know more about fish than I, I'm assuming you already know that, but just in case, I didn't want you thinking they were all different fish I found). I just fell in love with the picture, and I read up on it, and it says that it's peaceful with other fish unless breeding, and since I'm not breeding any of my fish, I'm not worried about it. So, OK, I'm going to go to the pet store now to pick up a water test kit and talk to the guy I've been dealing with in regards to my potential fish choices...
Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2009 20:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
ERr yeah that spamming thing was just me half reading words, gotta stop doing that

Post all ye like! (just no links to cheep nike sneakers )

Just a comment on the 'compatibility' list that's just taking into account water parameters, and even then really loosely.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 11-Sep-2009 22:34Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited 12-Sep-2009 01:39
The compatibility list is just a guideline, not something that is hard and fast. As I've never tried keeping that many gourami together I can't confirm it'll work. It's not having different kinds that is the problem. If you got five of the same type of dwarf gourami you'd still have the same chances of fighting starting. In my experience, having only one male per tank at most is a good idea to reduce aggression among gourami, but again, my experience does not extend to dwarf gourami.

Hmmm, Bolivian rams, eh? You may not want to breed fish, but if you get a male and female Bolivian ram they might end up breeding anyway. I hope someone who knows more about rams comments, but you should be okay with one, as that'll guarantee you're not breeding them. If you get two males I'm guessing they would fight. Plus, they are not the easiest species to tell males and females apart.

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2009 01:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Oh boy. lol. Well, I was planning to get two of them. I talked to the guy at the pet store today and showed him the list. The only one he was concerned with was the ram, but not because of breeding, but because he said they're tempermental, and I'd need to wait at least six months before adding them to the tank, but he said that aside from that, they're good fish.

And they're so beautiful! So, I very desperately want them!

And he's been very helpful to me. He even told me today about a semi-local fish store (about 30 minutes from me assuming there's not much traffic) that has nothing but fish and they're very knowledgeable about fish, and they'd know a lot more about the rams and if they're truly compatable with the gourami. So I'm going to drive over there and check the place out.

Tonight however, I have laundry to do, and a tank to change the water out of, as this is the 7th day of the treatment, so I'm done now! yay!!!!!!

The only problem is, I'm looking at about 2 - 3 hours worth of work on the tank tonight, and it's already 10:00pm, lol.

I'm tired before even beginning, lol.
Post InfoPosted 12-Sep-2009 03:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
I guess its a little late now, it seems you have already changed your mind. I was going to say not to do the blue gouramis with the dwarfs. The blue gouramis will pick on the dwarfs. But ive found most dwarfs are pretty peaceful even when you have more then one male. I have two powder blue males together in a 10 gallon tank that are best buds. It is the Honey gouramis you have to look out for, they are one of the shyest gouramis I have kept. They tend to hide all the time if there is too much going on in the tank.
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2009 20:46Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited 14-Sep-2009 00:32
Hi Gourami,

Thank you. Yes, I decided not to go with the blue gouramis, lol. I have decided to go with the Bolivian Rams (I'm 99.9% sure that this is the fish I am going to choose to accompany the Honey Sunset gourami). I am going to visit a fish store that was recommended to me tomorrow to talk with someone about that fish. But I think the Honey Sunset gouramis should be alright. Aside from the Bolivian Rams, the Honey Sunset gourami will be the only top - middle swimmers in the tank, and I don't know if you've seen the new pictures of my tank in the photo section, but they should now have plenty of places to swim through, and under, and hide in if they want.

Edit:

OK, I'm sorry, but I have a big question! I was just looking over at Rookie Boy's thread... How come he can put like, over thirty fish into a 29 gallon tank, but I have a bigger tank, but I'm not supposed to have nearly that many? Just curious.
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2009 23:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
The size of the fish he has in line are much, much smaller then the ones you have chosen. The bio load on the all eight tetras alone will probably equal the output on just one gourami.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2009 01:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
I haven't kept either of them, but I'm fairly certain that Bolivian Rams are hardier than the normal Blue Ram. However, Rams do tend to be quite temperamental, so it is a good idea to let the tank stabilize before introducing them.

I was just over at Rookie Boy's thread, and IMO that is a lot of fish. I wouldn't put that many fish in a 29 gal. Although what Kelly say is true, larger fish take up way more space than smaller fish.

Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2009 02:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited 14-Sep-2009 03:35
Oh, OK. Thank you. I was just wondering.

And yeah, I want them all to do well, so I am definitely planning to wait several months before adding the Rams.

OK, I've got a question on this fish:

http://fishprofiles.com/profiles/freshwater/Cichlids/Pseudotropheus_acei/

It says that they're peaceful, and only get to be about 5", but yet still needs a big aquarium that is at least 50 gallons? Why?

I ask because he's BEAUTIFUL, and well... yeah, I'm sure you can guess where this thought is going, lol.
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2009 02:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
I actually intended on mentioning that to Rookie boy. I got distracted by the kids and cooking dinner. Thanks for the reminder!

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2009 03:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
A 5" fish needing 40-50 gallons is not unreasonable, however a 40 gallon breeder (which is a long, shallow tank) would be necessary, certainly not a tall tank. Certainly I wouldn't keep an active 5" fish in a 29 gallon tank or a tank with that same surface area.

Pseudotropheus acei is an African rift lake cichlid. Beware of those as they can't be kept with your normal tropical fish due to differing water quality requirements (hard water, high pH), but they are also aggressive. You pretty much can't keep rift lake cichlids with anything but other rift lake cichlids and a select few other types of fish. They do in fact tend to be quite colorful, so most people are not necessarily opposed to the fact that you can't keep anything else with them.

Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2009 15:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Thanks Shinigami. I decided against him anyway, lol. I've finalized my list with the:

3 Honey Sunset Gourami
2 Bolivian Rams
2 - 3 (haven't quite decided which number yet) dwarf African frogs
and 3 Kuhlii loaches

I went to the place I was told about today...

WOW! What a neat fish place! And the guy I talked to is very knowledgeable and helped me out a lot. I'm going back on Sunday to get my first fish for my tank! Whoo hoo!

I'm so excited!
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2009 01:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Forgot to mention earlier, you do have a dechlorinator for you tap water, right?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2009 04:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
What's that? Is that that Amquel + stuff? Cause if that's it, then yes. I also used Stress coat which has something in it for chlorine. And all of that has been testing in normal levels.
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2009 07:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Whoo hoo! Three more days and I can pick up my new fish!

This is drving me crazy! I can't wait to add them in!
Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2009 06:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
I seem to remember stress coat being worse for the fish then better, something about it causing a huge jump in the waste as it decomposed? Not sure if that was fishyhearsay or someone had actually tested the water on it.

Amquel + should be enough, especially if it handles chloramine as well as chlorine.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 17-Sep-2009 09:24Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited 18-Sep-2009 04:10
I don't know what Chloramine is. Is that another form of chlorine?

And I'll check with the fish guy on Sunday when I pick up the new fish regarding Stress Coat. Everyone seems to recommend it though.

Edit:

OK, so I looked at the bottle of Amquel + and it says that it removes Nitrates, Nitritres, Ammonia, Chloramines, and Chlorines.

I hope that covers everything.
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2009 03:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Ya, chloramine is (if I remember right!) chlorine and ammonia? It's used a lot in the larger cities in addition to chlorine. When I was living near DC you could smell the chlorine just from turning the tap on

So yes, your fine for your water treatment, just be sure you use it every time you add water.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2009 08:18Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Oh, interesting. And yeah, I don't live in the city itself, but my water (and most of the northern quarter of my state) gets its water from the same source, and that means lots of water treatment. My refrigerator uses a Culligan filter system for the ice and water it dispenses if that tells you anything, lol.

And yeah, so far, even without having any fish in the tank, I've been using the Amquel + and the Stress Coat + each time I do a water change. Though, I'll ask the fish guy on Sunday when I pick up the fish, what his opinion of Stress Coat is. He's very knowledgeable, and I read the bio on his site and his store apparently has been certified by the Marine Aquarium Council, so I am assuming that's a big badge of honor, and that makes me feel more secure in buying fish from them. And they've done really big projects for big companies, so that's another thing to trust them with. I'm assuming they know their stuff, lol.

And you should have seen the store! I could have EASILY spent ALL DAY in it!
Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2009 08:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Heh I've seen stores like thta , Adam and I made a trip to That Fish Places store after we went to Intercourse (PA, no I'm not giving out too much information ) they had a touch tank and everything!

I think stress coat is one of those products that some people swear by, personally I've used once, and I never found it that beneficial, and didn't continue to use it. Others you may find swear by it. I feel good acclimation procedures any time you move a fish, even between tanks in your own house is the most important thing.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 18-Sep-2009 23:00Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
*sigh*

Well, I went to the fish store today, eager to get my gold longfin danios to start the tank and see if they'd fare well, but when the guy did the water sample, the test showed that while the PH level is good, the nitrites and the ammonia are still a little high (0.25 for both, and they need to be 0) so he wouldn't let me get the fish. He said to wait at least another week. So, I'm very bummed. It was agony waiting for this past week to end and wait for today so I could get my new fish.

But it wasn't a complete loss. I got to feed their koi, and that was neat. I got to stick my hand (closed) into the water, and the koi started sucking on my hand and wrist before I gave them the food. It was such a weird feeling, but neat. It felt like a bunch of big, living, suction cups pulling on my skin. I got to pet a stingray too. He felt like a portobella mushroom. Soft, spongy, and slimy.

Then I went and picked up a piece of slate from one of their bulk rock boxes. I decided to add a small piece of slate to the bottom of the tank to make a flat place for the frogs to eat so that the food doesn't fall through the gravel straightaway.

I really can't wait to be able to get my fish.

Oh, and when I got home, I changed the charcoal filter (it was filthy) and I'm hoping this will help the ammonia and nitrates finish clearing up. Then I did a water test of my own to see 1. if I could do the test, and 2. to see if my results matched the store. Well, I successfully did the test, and my results matched the store's. I guess it could have been worse. Instead of the results being 0.25, it could have been much higher, and I'd have to wait even longer. The guy said that the tank seems to be coming along nicely and it should only be another week or two before the nitrites and ammonia finish clearing up. I hope so. This really is agony.
Post InfoPosted 21-Sep-2009 06:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Awww I wanna feed some koi :! We cant actually have them here in queensland since they'd supposedly invade the waterways, like cane toads were a great idea
(annnyway)

yeah, it's hard to wait, but it's the only thing you can do. Do a test once a day either morning or evening, you'll see the ammonia drop first, then the nitrItes. You may have two weeks to go still, it depends on those nitrItes. You are on the right track though .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 21-Sep-2009 23:26Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Hi Babel,

Yeah, feeding the koi was awesome! They were in this big indoor pond and they were so friendly! Even the Stingray was friendly.

*sigh*

I know. I was thinking it might take another two weeks or more. And the guy told me not to add any fish until that ammonia and nitrites reaches zero because I could more than likely screw up the cycling that's already been completed. He said the fact that it's already down to .25 is good and making progress.

It's just driving me insane is all. I look at the tank, and I literaly see all the fish I want, swimming away in the tank, and darting about, and playing, being all happy.

Oh, and I asked the guy about the Stress Coat, and he swears by it, and I figure that since his store is so reputable, I trust what he says. He hasn't steered me wrong yet!
Post InfoPosted 22-Sep-2009 01:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Stingrays are the best. I'd love a stingray tank, but I don't know if I'd bother to take out their stinger regularly to make them safer to pet... That sounds like a pretty cool fish store if they have a touch tank. I have also been to That Pet Place that Babel talked about; what is it, like the biggest fish store on the east coast? They have a phenomenal selection.

I use stress coat only as a dechlorinator, although supposedly it can also be used (according to its directions) to help acclimate new fish or whatever, which I don't use stress coat for.

Post InfoPosted 22-Sep-2009 02:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Eh if shini's ok with it I'm ok with it.

I think the only time I used it was when I was bringing a stressed/sick/traumatized bala shark home from a used tank I had just bought. They said to use it to acclimate a new fish *shrug* I suppose the stuff cant really be blamed, I doubt the shark would have made it anyway...but I tend to blame the stuff in my mind .

However if you already have amquel+ that you're using for dechlor you don't really need to use both IMO.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 22-Sep-2009 04:38Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Well, the Stress Coat I was using mainly to help protect the fish since it helps with their slimy coating, etc. The Amquel + is for the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

Stress Coat is used pretty regularly by practically every fish store around here. I have yet to find a store that doesn't use it.

All stress coat really is, is aloe mixed with other natural stuff. Pretty harmless really. But, to each their own. If you're not comfortable with it, then there's no reason you should use it.
Post InfoPosted 22-Sep-2009 05:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
OK, forgive the "double" post, but since I'm nearly 24 hours past the last time I posted in this thread, I'm just going to make a new post.

ACK! Did I do something wrong?! I don't think I did, and I'm probably just being paranoid, and I do VAGUELY remember the fish guy telling me this would happen, so I'm probably panicking for nothing, but......

I did the Nitrite and Ammonia testing again, and tonight the numbers are as follows:

Ammonia: 0.00 yay!
Nitrites: 1.00 uh-oh!

Now, on Sunday, the levels for both Ammonia and Nitrites were 0.25... What happened? I mean, I'm very happy the Ammonia is where it's supposed to be, but the Nitrites spiked big time! I suppose it could have been worse and been at 2.50 or higher, but this is still starting to discourage me.

Was this spike supposed to happen or did I mess something up? I have not touched the water in the tank aside from drawing a bit out for both tests, so I don't think I did anything, but I'm still nervous.
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2009 04:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Hunt back through the thread to where we posted a link to the cycling process

nitrItes are supposed to spike after ammonia is fully dropped.

aloe =organic matter. Organic matter decomposes. Decomp process = mini cycle. Mini cycle = ammonia and nitrIte stress on fish. Not something I'd be wanting to introduce into my tank when there are fish that are already stressed.

In a normal fully cycled tank they should be able to cope, and following a proper acclimatization procedure they shouldn't need their slime coat stimulated. I always think of it as the equivalent to poking someone with a pin to distract them from a stubbed toe.

It's your choice what you add to your water though, I just hate spending money where I don't have to . In fact I'm going to have to start getting used to adding dechlor at water changes again. For the past year we've been on tank water and havent had to worry about that!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2009 07:27Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Well, good to know about the nitrites. I'm glad it's not something I did. Maybe this means I'm that much closer to the tank being fully cycled soon.

I don't know. Everybody around here (my area) seems to support Stress Coat and even the fish store I am going to get my new fish from uses it in their tanks, and the only thing they sell (besides supplies) in their store is fish, so I trust what they say in that regard.

I'm planning to use the Amquel + every time I do a water change as well because it's a dechlorinator and because of where my water comes from, it gets heavily treated with chemicals, mainly chlorine, so that will have to be done every time I do a water change, and I figured out on Sunday that my charcoal/carbon filters will have to be changed every two weeks (I was hoping to be able to push it to every three or four, but seeing what the filter looked like after two weeks, I'm not going to be able to push for the four week holdout). But you should see how clear the water in the tank is now! I was stunned! I don't think I've ever seen water that clear outside of a fish store, lol.

Anyway, thank you. I'm glad to know that my tank is on track regarding the ammonia and nitrites. It would be nice to be able to start putting fish into the tank.

I honestly don't remember ever going through this much trouble for a fish tank before. *sigh* On top of it, I found myself getting really defensive with the friend who's had her fish forever in her ten gallon tank when she commented, "Wow. You really seem to have bad luck. My fish are fine and I've never done what you are doing to your tank... Maybe you're doing something wrong." Like I said, I got really defensive and pissy with her over it. I felt like, "Well, good for you... not everyone can be perfect like you." Didn't say it, but definitely thought it. I know I was probably over-reacting but it just made me mad for her to say that.
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2009 07:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
ahhh yeaahhh you're going to have trouble with those types of people.

as tempting as it might be to blindfold them and sneak the fish out safely you might not get away with it.

Carbon, ehhhh yeah it's good... it'll depend on how many particles are in the water. So,if your gravel wasn't fully washed it'll end up through your filter. Fish wastes and decomposing leaves ect will come up in your filter. If the filter isn't strong enough for the load of the tank you'll find you'll need to replace the carbon more frequently. Slacking off on water changes can also lead to it. I used carbon a lot at first (yes it does make the water look great!!!) but since going planted I stopped using it (can take a lot of what plants need out of the water). Just be sure that when you change it it's not at the same time that you clean out your sponge or foam. Like any other surface the carbon will grow the bacteria that actually filters the water, removing too many of the bacteria will throw the tank into minicycle.

Ammonia 0
NitrItes 1 (growing) you should see them rise for awhile before they start to fall. Once you've got nitrAtes present, your nitrItes will start to fall and you'll be almost done.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2009 09:04Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited 23-Sep-2009 09:31
lol. Yeah, I wanted to hit her.

OK, what sponge/foam??? My tank has the "gravel" the decorations, the biowheel, the tube that sucks the water up to the carbon/charcoal filter which then moves the water to the biowheel, and then pumps the water back into the tank. No sponge or foam here, so I don't know what you mean.

Anyway, my plants are all plastic, so I have no worries about the carbon/charcoal sucking anything from them, lol. I LOVE the plastic plants! So easy to care for! Lol.

And I read through that Cycle page and I think I'm doing everything right (now). I'm doing water testing every other day, and so I am happy to see the ammonia down. Now, like you said, I need to wait for the Nitrites to convert to Nitrates and I'm good to go.

I thought I had enough plants in the tank, but I'm thinking I might get another tall plant for the back (if I can find one that is at least 20" tall) and a couple more short plants. I've been reading up on what the different fish I want need, and I thought I had enough, but I'm starting to think I still need more. If someone could look at the "new" photos I posted in the photo booth and see if what I've got is enough, I'd really appreciate it. I'm very worried I won't have good enough cover for them, and I want them to be happy.
Post InfoPosted 23-Sep-2009 09:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
Grrr... OK, so I was redoing the plants and deco in my tank, and I broke the arm off one of my dragons in the process. I took it out, and I'm drying it off and hopefully it will be dry enough tomorrow to repair it with aquarium sealant and then I can return it to the tank on Sunday. In the meantime, I figured out that I need more "stones" for the tank. I thought I had enough, but clearly I don't since I'm having trouble getting some of my plants to "root" in the "gravel."

Gee..... this is turning into such fun.......
Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2009 07:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
If you have larger rocks you might want to take the plants one at a time out of the tank and silicone some of the larger rocks ontop of the bases. They are a bit hard to get to stay put and having gravel deep enough for them can cause debris to collect and cause trouble later. Half our plants are sideways in the tank since I cant reach to the bottom and fix them and the fish just knock them over again!

Oh right biowheel, guess you wouldn't have to worry about that then. Just be sure that if you do swish the wheel in a bucket of used tank water (it'll probably gunk up) you dont do it the same time as replacing the carbon.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2009 08:56Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
How often should I be "flushing" the biowheel? I thought that once it's in the tank, it shouldn't be messed with. Am I wrong?

As for the deco, no, I don't have large rocks. Just a small piece of slate that I'm hoping the frogs will use as a "dinner plate" so that they don't have to go sifting through the glass stones for food.

I also bought a small thin (almost too thin) "rock" and I let it sit in very hot water for a while and then I rinsed it off in hot water. I then used it to prop up one end of the fake log. That took some doing, and if it hadn't worked I was thinking about using aquarium sealant to glue the log to the "rock" but I was hesitant to do that on the chance that I may want to switch up how I use the log and slate and rock later on. I got the log to prop up on the new rock after all though, so hopefully it won't get knocked over by the fish. I don't think it will. If it does, I'll figure out something else then.

When I get everything set up to my satisfaction (yeah, right, lol) I'll take some pictures and link them here so you can see what the tank looks like now. I'm getting more pleased with the setup and I think the fish will be happy in there (assuming I ever get to the point where I can actually ADD fish... *sigh*)

I also decided that the three new plants I bought today/yesterday aren't enough and I'm planning to go back to the store and get two more short plants. They're on sale, buy one get one free right now, so I'm happy about that.

I figure that this way, there'll be a nice clump for the rams, another clump for the gourami, and a nice small clump for the danios.

And the frogs will have plenty of additional places to hide/dwell, and the loaches will probably burrow in the "gravel," so everyone will potentially have their own space and be happy, peppy little fish/frogs.

OK, I should get some sleep. I have class in about 9 hours, so I'll be getting about 6 and a half hours of sleep...
Post InfoPosted 24-Sep-2009 09:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
female usa
EditedEdited 25-Sep-2009 04:03
Well, I bought more "gravel." That seems to have made a world of difference to the plants in the tank. They are sticking better. Except for one plant that I'm going to have to pull out, let dry and glue the d--mned thing to the base to keep the base from popping off anymore.

And with a little bit of trouble, I managed to glue the dragon's arm back on. I'm going to put another band of aquarium sealant around the arm to reinforce what's there so that it doesn't break again. It won't look very pretty, but it shouldn't look too bad once back in the water, which will probably be on Monday.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for the Nitrites to convert to Nitrates. *sigh*
Post InfoPosted 25-Sep-2009 04:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
That final drop of the nitrItes does seem to take ages, it's been a long time since I've fully cycled a tank but I seem to remember it taking aaagggeeesss (I also remember my sis coming downstairs that morning and seeing me do the 'my nitrItes are down' dance )

After a bit of time there should get a small coating of algae over the silicone so it should be less noticeable.

Biowheel, I've never actually used one so I don't know, but I'd figure it'd develop the same growths that appear on other filters and tat needs to be rinsed off. You'll know when it's time. With the wheel it wont' take nearly as much 'cleaning' as with the filters with sponges or floss, just give it a swish when it starts to look clogged.

Ah and don't count on any fish staying where you expect it to, once you are finally able to stock the fish they'll find their own spots and you may find you want to change the tank again

D'oh meant to post this 12 hours ago !

^_^

Post InfoPosted 26-Sep-2009 23:57Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies