AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L# Tank Stands..Do You All Use "Aquarium Stand" Made For The Tank?
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTank Stands..Do You All Use "Aquarium Stand" Made For The Tank?
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
ah ok,yeah i agree,thats why i make my own stands or use something thats trong,its cost effective for me then,and most of the timber i can get from my dads hardware,so yeah..
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2008 11:14Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
Votes: 1
female canada
Hi.. yes its crazy pricing for tank stands!!.. but not so bad being cost..
I will learn to like it, wont be the stand anyway that I will be fixated on its whats going to be in the tank..
Today I should get my order in, hope its not like last time....
think I might go into work early so I can put it right on my truck..
I had wanted this tank up and cycled by the end of the month...im pressed for time now..
Im at 750.00 all cost for,77gal tank, stand,(with cupboards) double strip light + bulbs, fluval 305, power head,and spraybar..no fish or decor yet..
sue
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2008 17:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
Well, pls show us a picture of your stand (oh yeah, tank too, when you have time).

Mine's not a fish tank stand. Full shot, taken before the 7ft arrived.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 15-Oct-2008 18:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
very nice.. 100gal + tank im sure at 7 feet..no?..I think ive seen pictures of your tanks before here or other web site..
sue
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2008 06:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
yeah at $750,i rekon your still doing very well,but as said above,its the tank thats the main part,not the stand.but good luck with it,and keep us posted...
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2008 07:19Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
It's 138G (523L). You might have seen pictures, as it's been posted in the planted section.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 16-Oct-2008 23:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada

My tank is in..and in one piece.. now its getting it to the house,without any problems..
awsome tank.. I like having no trim at the top..
didnt get a chance to see the stand yet.. will when i get home..
Not like you all havent seen a bigtank before..going to try and get some pics up.. before and after..like you all do..im on dail-up now and its tough to get the pics to load throught snap or bucket..
hope I can..
this hobby never bores me..Its like setting up a tank for the first time..Im so excited im beside myself..
42 going on 14, I feel like its Xmas and long awaiting that gift..
wish me luck getting it in..lol...
Will keep u posted for sure..
Sue
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 01:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Yes it was a few yrs back now..i remember the room.. and tank now..awsome looking..
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 01:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Hey all, tank is fine..sitting in the middle of the livingroom floor..will be doing some rearranging here.
I have put some thought into it,but may change that some..Ive got 3 other tanks to move at the same time within the room and then the ( 4th ) Hex will be illuminated all together. hubby says the sofa has to stay.. I agreed..
my excuse I always give..is I had convicts at one time..
lovely fish though. Cichlids I like to have again..buying out here you never know what you may get..
Id like a midus, but wouldnt be a true one..
Well, had look at the stand..aaand walked away.. < shakes head.. As I had thought horrible looking....
I keep thinking now black at least would just be black and not trying to look like wood, wood grain..whatever..
you know the look..
any way.. Im off its late..
Late Sue
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 06:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
42 going on 14, I feel like its Xmas and long awaiting that gift
lol, know how you feel. I'm 48 going on 14 & that's how I felt July 08 (that's when water went in my 7ft).
Not like you all havent seen a bigtank before..going to try and get some pics up.. before and after..like you all do..
sure, but we wouldn't be on this forum if we weren't keen to see more tank pics. Shame you aren't happy with the stand. Too late now maybe, but could you have someone make you a proper timber one?
Yes it was a few yrs back now..i remember the room.. and tank now
The pic of the room was last year, I think. The 7ft was only filled for 1st time in July this year. If you saw my tanks a few years ago, those ones are mostly shut down & since replaced.

Looking forward to your pics - what fish are you planning?

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 17-Oct-2008 15:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
hi Robyn..
going to try for the pics tonight, get the stand together.
hubby and I have to wait till we get a day off, It going to be a juggling act moving the tanks..
Ive got 2 budgies and a hugh cage we built for them, so thats to be moved too..We will most definatly need a whole day together..
in my Hex tank Ive got 3 golden Belly Barbs..they are getting really big and fast..they are silver like the tinfoil barb..but long body..and yellow/gold tips on all fins and tail..and belly golden like the name says..nice looking fish. fast swimming/fun/active I feed them by hand..wondering what I could put with them?..
Ive been told and on all my research that it could be the one they call big game in Tailand..
I ordered them for the store and sold 3 took 3 home..
what would you suggest for fish..? Angels, rainbows Id like think they would be ok..lots of them too..Red Irian Rainbows are nice I can get them in..Columbian shark..and I like the starywood catfish..
bye Sue
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2008 01:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi Sue
Ive got 2 budgies and a hugh cage we built for them, so thats to be moved too..
cool - like an indoor aviary? I have a bird too, an Olive Rainbow Lorikeet.
We will most definatly need a whole day together..
ok, will be patient waiting for pics
in my Hex tank Ive got 3 golden Belly Barbs..
googled these & found several similar named fish. Saw ones where advice was given about fishing for them LOL. Not sure which type you have. There are a lot of nice rainbow fish. I like the red rainbow (seems only the male is red & he will pale if not with a few silver females). I had some Boesemani Rainbows, which I really enjoyed. I like the sound of most of the fish you have - seem to be all fast & active swimmers. I've grown out of touch with active fast swimmers, as 2 of my tanks are discus, needing calmer tank mates (that's why bosemani had to go). My other tank is mbuna, so again, not much possible in way of tank mates. So, sorry, I don't know much about the type & numbers of fish you seem to like. Bound to be plenty of other ppl here that can help. I was just interested to hear your plans. You work for LFS - so I guess you get all inside info about fish etc? The tank mates I have are sterbai cories, otos, cardinals, harley rasboras and apistogrammas and african riverine dwarfs (pt.nigerian red). I don't have, but like rummy nose.
I like the starywood catfish..
Couldn't find that name. found Starlight Bristlenose catfish, Starlight Bristlenose pleco and Starry night bristlenose. Is it any of those?

Hope you can wangle that day off soon, Sue. Have fun

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2008 03:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Ohhh!! you have discus.... My next tank intended to be a dicus tank did loads of research on them..awsome fish.. how many do you have and what species? I love all dicus..beautiful fish..I then bought the Golden bellys and found how big they grow I dont have the space at work for them, so really dont want tot take them back and dont have the heart..I like them too much
Yes the cage built is like an aviary.. gosh.. 5 feet long 4 high maybe and 3 deep..and I have a Cockatiel too named ZeeBee.. hes such a nut..He was hand raised..made it easy for us..
One fish I did forget to mention and suprised I did is the redline torpedo barb..or shark..Ive been waiting for them for so long..$14.00 cost! some fish double and thats one that does at retail....Im getting 6....
yes Googled them too and Its all mainly big game fishing.. Its got to be some sort of hybrid..dont know..but they are growing very quick..
bye for now, Sue
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2008 02:33Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
EditedEdited by itsjustme1966
heres the woodcatfish..Its always been starywood to use here..but theres some info..cute little guys we have at the store..they are about 5-6 in right now..one has a nice coppery/orange tinge to it..the pattern is like camo pattern..for its disguise.. nice fish, heres a link and hope it works..http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=314
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2008 02:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
Wish I had your aviary. Are you still able to keep it in the room? My Butch (olive rainbow Lorikeet) is hand raised too. He's in my avatar having a tickle fight. Those woodcatfish look interesting. You can see how they got their name. I haven't seen them around here.
how many do you have and what species? I love all dicus..beautiful fish
The link will show you my latest acquisitions. They're still in QT http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/38266.1.htm?7# Besides them, I also have 2 wild heckels, 2 wild royal blues, another 3 wild browns, 1 blue diamond, 1 rose red, 1 red melon & 1 albino. Also 1 alenquer & 1 turq that I think are both stunted. I'll find the link for those ones, as they are on here somewhere.

EDIT: http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/30247.1.htm?33# Discus start from near the end of page 1

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2008 09:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Hi Robyn.. Yes the aviary will stay in the room, but way over the far wall..away from the TV now....wasnt the greatest spot, but you get used to it. the stand its on is big and held the over flow of movies..
Yah they are neat fish the starywood cat..should get alone fine with my upsidedown catfish..hes in the other tank concidering moving him to the new one, but after awhile..hes done well for so many yrs and I dont want to jeopardize his well being..Ive got the 2 clown loaches too to move.
I thought that might have been a your feathered friend.. hes cuteyou got a link so I can get a good look....we have never had them in the store..conures, paralets,bourkes parakeets..etc..
your Discus a very very nice..Im jealous..You know how it is with this hobby ..we always make room for more..If I can look after 40 tanks at work, then one more at home will be fine..
Sue
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2008 04:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by tw
Hi Sue, I'd love to have your aviary ...I'm jealous
I thought that might have been a your feathered friend.. hes cuteyou got a link so I can get a good look....we have never had them in the store..conures, paralets,bourkes parakeets..etc..
didn't want to clutter up your thread & go too far off topic, so I put links & photos here http://www.fishprofiles.com/files/threads/33078.1.htm?0.8694725#343184 I also put a pic of "Woofie" & superlion's conure there, too.

You can share your pics too

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2008 06:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
hi all, heres a few pics of the tank. Its just sitting in the middle of the room right now, were taking measurements for it etc..
and a couple of my 40 gal+ I think.. (purchased at yardsale 35 bucks) its been running there for 8 yrs..messy, but well established tank..
The stand is fitting in well....matches my leather couch very well..what you see there, tank ,stand light, timer, bulbs, cost me 430 bucks..tank was only 157.00..
gotta like that..
im off to post some pics of my other critters..
Sue
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo210/itsjustme1966/2008_1020tankfish0015.jpg,
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo210/itsjustme1966/2008_1020tankfish0016.jpg,
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo210/itsjustme1966/2008_1020tankfish0022.jpg,
http://i376.photobucket.com/albums/oo210/itsjustme1966/2008_1020tankfish0025.jpg
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 18:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Hi, I think your stand looks very nice in your picture, despite that in an earlier post you say you don't like it.

Tht catfish looks to be a great size. He must be very happy to have grown so well.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 22-Oct-2008 21:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Yes your right Robyn he is a good size..6 inches easy..high dorsal fin.
I remember buying him and the guy at the LFS said he wont get much bigger than what he is now..which was and inch,,.. I was going to buy 3, its very evident now that they all would not have survived..
i was concidering moving him to the large tank ,but not wanting to risk shocking him..even a few months down the road..what do you think?
The stand does look a bit better every day that goes past..
I am quite pleased with the purchase now..thanks for the kind words..
Sue
Post InfoPosted 23-Oct-2008 06:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
I was concidering moving him to the large tank ,but not wanting to risk shocking him..even a few months down the road..what do you think?
I know what you mean, but I have recently moved my discus around when I upgraded tank sizes & had no problem. I use the bucket/drip method, so acclimatisation was gentle.

I will have to do it again soon, as I intend separating the domestics from the wilds.

Only catfish I have owned are otos & cories & I have moved them around with success. Never owned the type you have, so can't say for sure, but I think if you are careful, you will be fine.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2008 03:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
hi Robyn, Yes the drip would be good.. I think I will concider that..Ive never done it before and sounds to be the best way for him..fish in floating bag was all I thought I could do..
Its a ways down the road right now for him..I want to make sure the tank is very stable for a month or so after the other fish have ajusted in.
spieces of fish Im concidering are..4- red rainbows, 4- Boesemani rainbows.. 2- solid black angelfish ( or should I go 4 ) 6- Roseline torpedo sharks (barbs).. and a shoal of 8-10 threadfin rainbows.. not sure if I can get away with them, when housing the roselines..
roselines can get 5-6 in river, fast water..they stay very much to the bottom.. what do you think..?
Id also like a couple of Gouramis..
Also having a tough time deciding on backgrounds.. what do you all have, when such a large tank..
Sue
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2008 17:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
EditedEdited by superlion
I have moved my syno. eupterus around several times. They're very hardy and I had no problems doing it, except - Do NOT use a net to catch them. The spines in their pectoral fins will come through the skin and then they will have to spend a while in a new tank with open wounds. If all goes well, they will heal, but it's not pretty until then if they do get damaged. Instead, I'd use a net or hands to herd the fish into a hard-sided container like a glass jar.

><>
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2008 17:57Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Thanks Superlion.. I was hoping someone else had them..they are hardy yes..but, you never know from one to the next..the drip is a good idea..
..and yes netting will not work, the fins are sooo high and long..
which reminds me of how the fish were climatized and bagged in the tank for a bit, only to be poured into a big net over a bucket..
I put a stop to that real fast....and they wondered why the tanks ended up with ick all the time..geeeez I wonder.... and fish death within hrs of being recieved..
thanks for the tip..
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2008 05:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Oh, and don't be surprised if they squeak when you catch them! They're not called "featherfin squeakers" for nothing

Good luck!

><>
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2008 06:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
... Oook..really!?.. oh boy..this will be fun..
thanks for that tip as well..
As Im sure it will still startle the out of me..

Sue
Post InfoPosted 30-Oct-2008 05:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies