AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Getting Started
  L# Tank Stands..Do You All Use "Aquarium Stand" Made For The Tank?
   L# Pages: 1, 2, 3
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTank Stands..Do You All Use "Aquarium Stand" Made For The Tank?
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 36
Votes: 1
female canada
EditedEdited by itsjustme1966
Hi, Ive got several tanks, 4 running and all are used with proper " Aquarium Stands " any of you out there use anything else.. ie: dresser, night table etc.. any home made? pics..not talking about the 10 gals and 20gal.
reason for asking? yes.. Ive got a 77gal coming tomorrow and was thinking of using a solid, yes solid coffee table, its all wood..but it still has me thinking.
I can get a proper stand no problem , just wanted to use the table instead. I like the fact that its lower and it would look better where it is going to be placed.
any input? and horror stories, that might change my mind..
Ive taken in to concideration the diameter of the legs and they are 4in round at the base, the leg its self is 6-7 in, the size of the tank and the table if sitting on would leave a margin of an inch all the way around.. so the weight will be distributed all around evenly.
anything you want to add, anyone.
I found that some tank stands are cheaply made..and just dont like them, well most..
thanks Sue

edit. forgot to add, the one stand i do like you cant get without the canopy, so you pay for both..I dont want a canopy I have DBL hanging lights.. so i wouldnt need it..
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2008 03:37Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Hmmm, I've heard horror stories on the site here. Dressers being used and having the wood crack under the pressure.

Keep in mind that you're looking at around 800lbs of weight on the coffee table, so it will depend on how solid is solid.

4" around sounds to be about as thick as the stands we have. Some were bought one was made. My concern is that the stands we currently have all have 6 legs instead of just the 4 that most coffee tables come with.

Any chance of uploading a pic of the table to photobucket or the like for us to see it?

The one you describe does sound ok, but like I said, it depends on how solid is solid, and if it was really built to withstand that amount of weight IMO. Of course if it was, I want a cup of coffee that large

^_^

Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2008 04:30Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Where are you from Sue? I've found a very similar thing with stands, I have all of mine reinforced.

Depending on the size/weight of the tank, it could work, but I'd not want to put anything bigger than a 2'/20USG on a piece of furniture.

Also, the height will be an issue. A lower stand is one thing, but coffee tables are MUCH lower and make gravity syphoning difficult.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2008 04:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Im from Ontario, Can. most tanks are made of pressboard... I know its a very well compressed board..but ugly stands to me.. Black I dont like wont match..the decor..any of the pine come with canopys like i had mentioned..an extra not needed..even if I order direct through the company..Hagen, all glass, prefecto manufactoring..etc.. ( can I mention them).. i supervise in a LFS and still have to order both pieces..
what would be a way to reinforce it if needed to, which is a good idea..
never thought of the syphoning bit, I decided when I wanted a tank this big..I bought a python to use, much easier..
Will try to get a pic,,
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2008 05:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Ah, the coffee table idea. 99% of them are simply
a board with four corner feet attached with a piece of
metal through which a bolt is passed and a nut holds it
tight against a notch cut in the table top. The bolt is
pressed into the solid wood leg.

Coffee tables, no matter how sturdy or bulky they might
appear, are designed to support books, human legs,
the occasional center piece, and a pet walking across.
Not a 800 pound aquarium.
If you have ever had one or a similarly constructed
dining room table, you should recall that the legs work
loose and become wobbly. Then you tighten up the nut
holding the bolt in the leg to secure the leg to the table.
Over time as one tightens that bolt you wind up pulling
the bolt out of the leg and you have to repair the whole
assembly. Usually one can turn the table over and easily
tighten the nut. Or, get underneath the table with a wrench
and tighten the nut. With around 800 pounds on that table,
there is no way to do that, and if you do try, you will
wind up pulling the bolt out of the leg and the whole thing
collapsing instead of tightening the nut.
The weight of the table and the objects on
the table exert a downward force that eventually forces
the legs to bow out from their attachment. Those joints
are designed for appearance, not that kind of support.
With a coffee table or even an aquarium stand that has
four legs, all the weight is concentrated on the bottom
of the leg - be it a wrought iron stand, or wood stand
that is a huge amount of pressure that could be measured
in hundreds of pounds per square inch. It will cut into
the carpet and mat, and could even affect the flooring.

The best stands are those that distribute the weight
across the entire footprint of the tank and not on four
legs. The box design does that and also provides a place
to hide the components of the aquarium circulation,
filtration, and heating systems, storage for
the accessories and keeps most of the wiring dry and out of
sight.

I would not use any piece of furniture for an aquarium
support, unless it was built specifically to support one.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2008 08:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
My 5ft and ex 6ft were both sitting on a buffets especially made to support a heavy fish tank. No trouble for the making the furniture as I was a Cabinet Making trade teacher for 26 years which meant I fully understood furniture construction and design.
Just because it is made of all wood that has nothing to do with it, it is how it is constructed and the methods used in its construction

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2008 08:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 74
Votes: 38
male canada
EditedEdited by steven1982
My stand for my 80 gal has 6 legs not 4. The stand was made for a 80 gallon tank while the coffee table was made for a coffee book, cup of coffee and your feet. Not only can the table brake and then brake your tank and spill all that water in your home, but all that weight is pushing down on your floor with 4 legs not 6. This could affect your flooring.
Any tank 55 gallon or bigger I would use a proper stand. If you spend some money you can get some nice stands.
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2008 23:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Hi, thanks for the replys everyone..
I do know coffee tables are made for light decor and feet.... As mentioned in my first post that the table is solid wood..it is oak.. My brother made it a few yrs back and handed it down to me..hes not a carpenter by trade ,but can construct simple furniture.
it is quite basic not hard to figure out how ones made, even if i attempted to make one myself..
like you had mention Frank, they have only 4 legs and knowing myself that the weight is distributed in a downward force to each leg, that is alot of weight, mind you they are wide, but maybe not enough.
I have kinda thought maybe its better is I dont chance it, was just looking to hear from a few ppl. Or if there was a way to reinforce it somehow..
never though about it bowing, just never occured to me..cause the legs are short.. and wid..
well i will be looking for a stand.
you know how you kinda know its not the right thing to do ,but you just need someone to tell you so.. I had a feeling it might not work..so alls good..
except for the tank.. .. I get into work today anxious to see the tank, but do my paper work and recieve Hagen and go back to have a peek.. the tank is smashed at one side..not a happy camper.... dam driver..
this guys never easy on anything ..not hard to see it a aquarium tank..so its another 2 week wait for another..
this sets me back alot to where I want to be as far as getting it running with water..
thanks for the info guys..
sue
Post InfoPosted 02-Oct-2008 05:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
My 40g is parked on my landlady's antique 6ft stereo cabinet... LOL

One of the 10g parked on a coffee table along with the water changing tank.

My other 10g parked on the bedroom dresser. (used to keep a 30g on it.

There's a good change I'm moving shortly, hoping to change things up a bit depending on room, a proper stand with cabinet for the 40g, and a rack for the others but will see how it goes.

Dressers and normal tables, re-inforcement is a good idea it all depends on the tank size and how it was constructed. Flimsy-built stuff will crack, warp, or break over time I like antique stuff built solid

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2008 19:45Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
ive had plenty of tanks sitting on heaps of different things,i even had my 29gal tank sitting on 2 milkcrates,with 1 peace of timber over the 2 crates,with a old beachtowel,over the timber,and that was on them crates for well ov er a year,and they didnt even change shape.just use your common sense sue,i mean from what your saying its a very solid table,therefore its guna take some weight!im in the wood trade,and,its all how its made,common sense is going to tell you not to sit a heavy fishtank,on a flimsy old crapy table that wobbles 2 inches ether way!trouble waiting to happen!however,most of the things ive used over the years to sit my tanks on,have been made by me,so i new they were very strong!there was one small tv cabnet,that i used at my old house for my daughters 25gal,and that was bought from get this,GO-LO!of all places,and all i did to that,was take the wheels off the bottom,and sat it straght on the floor,and that never went wobbley,i still use it to this day to keep my fish foods,ect in!so yeah just check whateva you want to use out,making sure the joints are solid and true,also sturdy,keeping some COMMON sense in mind and i rekon youll be fine,if your still unsure,post a picture,as said above,then we can see what your seeing....then we can give you a better answer,from what YOU have said above,id try it,the table sounds pretty tuff!if you do decide to try it on the table,while you filling the tank up with water just keep checking it,check to see if the legs are becoming wobbley,check to see if the timber joints are opening,a sure sign of to much weight,then go from there,add some rocks or whateva you like,then check again,and so forth...but good luck,and let us know how you went.....
Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2008 09:58Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
Actually, I just noticed that I've fibbed. I forgot I had one in the corner.

I have a 10gal upright all-in-one on a laminated MDF side table that wiggles a bit I have it a bit strangely though, diagonally over 3 corners and most of one leg to get around the bowing/breaking problem.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2008 16:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
2 of my biggest tanks (the 4ft & the 7ft) are sitting on furniture, not purpose built tank stands. We went to a scaffolding type place & the cabinet has been reinforced with jack type contractions. They go through the false bottom & sit on the floor.

With a coffee table, you wouldn't be able to do this, as you'd see the ugly jacks.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 09-Oct-2008 23:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Hey all, thanks for the replys.. no worries Im not using the table..as said in my last post I kinda knew it was not going to work, just was wondering what you all thought and maybe some use other pieces of furniture for the tanks they have, or someone reinforcing it. Just thought it would be a good post. Dont think I really would have gone with the coffee table. Common sence did take over..thanks Hokese....
im not one to chance it that much..ive had 10-20gals on other item for stands over the yrs, but thats about it.
Well, my tank has been reordered and I have a stand coming, lights( hanging) and Im going with a non trimed top and no canopy i like the look of the tanks ive seen around in the stores..just deciding on filters and powerheads.. maybe a spray bar or 2..and ive ordered the biggest pices of driftwood i can get.. ( maponi, is that it)
bye
Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2008 05:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Robyn
Personally you went for a total over kill. All it required was building up the base underneath, then putting in solid vertical divisions. Then you could have used all that unusable space. Remember Cabinet making & design making was my teaching trade and job 36 years.

It still can be done if and when you decide to do a complete tank cleaning/pull down.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2008 10:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TW
you don't need to tell me - it's my hubby. I came home from bunnings with a simple solution that the retired builder salesman there recommend, but hubby had to come up with his own solution. In the end, It didn't matter to me. I just let him do what he wanted with the cupboard. He's happy, 'cause he's convinced he's a hero & saved the day with his solution & I got what I wanted - a 7ft & a 4ft tank. I lost usable space, agree, but it's what sitting on top of the cupboard that matters the most.

I even lost my 2 pull out vertical DVD & video drawers Pull out the sliding door what do you see - more jacks

One thing's for sure ,as Wings said to me when I 1st posted these pics a while back - that cupboard ain't going anywhere

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 10-Oct-2008 13:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
no probs sue,glad to help,at least you will have peace of mind now,also its esay for us tradies to whip up a stand or sturdy up a coffee table,but to some1 whos not in the trade,it can be a pain in the bum,not having the rite tools for the job,ect,ect!plus this still wouldnt bring peace of mind,they are left thinking,did i do the job correctly and so on!so now when your stand comes,you will be set....the ol common sense has saved me heaps of time and money with everthing from my fish,to my car,to my daughter,over the years!just think if you did go against your common sense,then the table did give way with your tank on it,disaster
ps,on a side note,hey robyn tell hubbie that he NEVER has to worrie about your cabnet supporting the weight or collapsing,i could park my car on that....
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2008 08:46Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Hokese

You would not possible be able to park you car on tank cupboard it already has several 4X4 on there.
I have made chairs our of corrugated cardboard and you would surprised the weight you could put on that.

When I was teaching Cabinet Making apprentices one apprentice brought in a 2ins thick piece of plywood which was used to make a top for a sewing machine cupboard. I applied over two tons of pressure and it was just starting to move, and that is as high as the press would go
Just another case of over built.

Look here for my

Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2008 10:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
ps,on a side note,hey robyn tell hubbie that he NEVER has to worrie about your cabnet supporting the weight or collapsing,i could park my car on that....
I can still get quite a bit of stuff in there. After the jacks were tightened, the handles were cut down & that helped a bit. My UV even fits nicely behind one of the upright metal poles.

You can see that my poor pull out DVD/CD drawer isn't good for much.

Sorry, itsjustme1966, hijacked your thread a bit.

cheers, Robyn

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2008 13:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
male australia
EditedEdited by hokese
lol,good one...atleast you know the only thing thats guna collapse your stand,is probly the hulk,maybe if he jumped on it..anyway gettin back on topic..
hey sue how much did you end up paying for the new stand you ordered?if you dont mind me asking
Post InfoPosted 12-Oct-2008 14:12Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
itsjustme1966
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
hey..Wow, thats some stand..I like it..great job with the underneath..someday Id like to go that big.
dont mind you asking Hokese, I think,and I realy didnt look all that close at the price but I think its around
$169.00..retail I dont know..we dont keep them in the store that big.
we have a couple instock for say a 30- 40 long
I do only pay cost, the tank is all glass ( Hagen ) and is a 77gal $210.00 ret. 439.00..to tell you the truth Im not even sure I will like the stand or it will match well enough. Im big on everything having to match and I hate most aquarium stands, they are so cheap looking..
Just dont really want to pay 6-700 bucks to have someone make it..
sue
Post InfoPosted 14-Oct-2008 07:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies