Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeI've gone to the shrimps
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
Branching out from my plecos who I never see anyway, I have now gone shrimp mad. I say 'mad' because of some of the prices I have paid for them and their mosses (expensive shrimp playground equipment).

I started with glass shrimp, then cherry shrimp and now I have one crystal red shrimp and 6 crystal black shrimp. The new ones are only little yet but they are growing and eating well with their cherry mates.

Cherry shrimp with spectacular red.

Crystal red

Crystal black

Expensive playground equipment, Japanese moss ball (marimo)
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2009 12:54Profile PM Edit Report 
Wingsdlc
----------
Fish Guru
What is this?
Kudos: 799
male usa
Nice set of shrimps. I have had cherries for a few years now. I think once you have them you will never get rid of them. I would love to try my hand at crystals but can't bring myself to paying the high prices. I personally like the blacks better than the reds. More of a natural color I guess. Another shrimp to look into would be tigers. I had a small set of them for a while but they didn't do well for me.

55G Planted tank thread
19G Container Pond
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/Wingsdlc/Ric
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2009 13:03Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I want shrimp too!

I've checked around and all I can find locally are ghost shrimp. I'd have to order anything else online. I don't trust that any would make it through shipping. Then I'd be out of a lot of cash and mad as H. Yours are really nice though.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 09-Aug-2009 19:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
The crystal shrimp I got from online. They were packed with oxygen in a tiny bag in a box and posted to me express post. Because I am outside of the express area it was two days to delivery (in winter here)and they arrived as good as gold with no fatalities.
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2009 05:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
BG
Have you got some of these in the one tank and the rest in their own tanks?

They love a floating Indian Fern.

The only concern with them is that all filter inlets must have a prefilter otherwise you will be finding them in the filter some how they seem to get passed the impeller without being made into shrimp paste.

Mine love squashed cooked peas.
My Cherry Reds are breeding like mad in the large clump of Anubias nana.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2009 06:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
All in the one tank with an undergravel filter. Nothing for them to get trapped in at all.
Post InfoPosted 10-Aug-2009 08:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
BG
Can and are they cross breed. If not I will be looking around for some different ones too.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Aug-2009 02:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
the Crystal Red Shrimp are exactly the same type as the black crystals, the black crystal shrimp are the ones that would naturally occur in the wild.
Cherries wont hybridise with the crystals, but obviously the crystals will breed with each other. Shouldnt be too much of a problem though, as the reds you have are quite low grade therefor a lot hardier.
Post InfoPosted 14-Aug-2009 16:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
congrats on teh shrimp!
they are one amazing species to keep in the aquarium!
I've been keeping cherries successfully and unsuccessfully for two years and I love them to bits!
just a handful of them and some plants and in less than six months you have a full tank!

as for purchasing and shipping over the internet it isn't bad. I've bought mine form hobbyists through aquabid.com and locally on craigslist, they were all great... however my vacation care-takers were not so so I've lost close to a few hundred but can't get enough of them!

Marimo are amazing too! make sure you roll them and squeeze them out every so often or they grow less pretty and kinda irregular.

expensive playground equipment will grow and pay for itself once you get some decent clippings to trade, sell or disperse amongst other tanks!

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 17-Aug-2009 08:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
marine_race
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 110
Votes: 7
male australia
Brengun, I live in Queensland also... Where abouts did you purchase your shrimp? I've been after some but can not find the better quality, deeper red ones...
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2009 05:55Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Hey Bren, I'm not really up to speed on my shrimp ID, but is that a cherry or a chameleon? I only ask because some plant obsessed guys at a local meeting talking about how when they are kept together the chameleons go the same colour, only more vibrant. They reckoned the only way they could tell them apart was the dorsal stripe, which it looks like yours has. Do cherries have those too?

I only just obtained some cherries last week, I'm already in love and they aren't even a good colour

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2009 14:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies