L# Pages: 1, 2, 3
SubscribeE-Z Breeders!?!?!?
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
didnt you want guppies?and the betta was suppose to thin out fry numbers?or have we changed our mind once more?
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 03:24Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 3
usa
o well ive been talkin about the bettas sense i said to much fry from guppies. srry i will not lie to my mom.....about fish..... but i have not been changing my mind things my parents chose happened. if it was my choise i would right now have the 55 gallon with an oscar in it and be breeding my betta feeding any extra fry to it. but as i am only 11 my dad thinks that "he knows more about what i need, and also that people working at pet co now wat they r talking about" they idiots at petco said that bettas t chinese fighting fish that will kill any thing in there way becasue they r really mean and also that is y they keep them in a 2in container!!so if it seems like ive been changing my mind its cause my mom and dad make like all my decsions!

experience is something you dont get until right after you need it
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 03:30Profile PM Edit Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Have you shared any of the information we've given you with your parents? You should have them read the posts with you. Make a list of the fish you like/want. You can go to the "Profiles" section of Fishprofiles and find the fish you are looking for. Read that to determine what the fish needs are and if it might be compatible with the other fish you want. Then post what you want and what you have. We'll try to advise on what's a good idea or at least get you pointed in the right direction. Bottom line is you have to involve your parents, as they are the ones making the purchases. They are financing everything needed, they should have the information. Lastly, since you don't want to use the library, you have all the informaton you need at your fingertips. THE INTERNET! Research the fish online. Again involve your parents, so you both get the same info, and can come close to the same conclusion about what will be done.

Happy hunting!

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 04:30Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
i definately agree with kelly on this one, INVOLVE the parents.you havent been involving them very much here.and yes lfs store employees dont really know what they are talking about as any yahoo can appy for the position and they just stick them in that department, on the rare occasion you get a knowledgeable person in the fish field they will tell you. However if you go to the home page you can look up profiles, and guess what you can even find compatible species with them as well.I recommend this, and i also recommend doing this with the parents so they can see the real thing and not what the petco staff thinks would be best.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 04:50Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
i tell my dad but he thinks wat the employeys say is always correct also i have had to pay for everything i have so far besides my 29 gallon which was a birthday present. my mom is better she kinda lets me try to do stuff on my own as its my money. althou she has ALOT of experience as when she was younger she had 40+ tanks! when her dad stoped with the fish when he moved he actually created the HUGE fish aquariam in the pittsburg zoo!! there is a couple pacucalasami (some kinda african fish that he had flone in) STILL ALIVE from when he donated them they r HUGE NOW!!!

i will ask abgout any fish i am considering unless i dont have the oportunity like today i had 5 minutes that i new that i was going to my LFS so i couldnt post the question about my gourami which as u posted will probly eat my other fish.....

Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 04:51Profile PM Edit Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
i ALWAYS try to tell my parents info on the fish. i tell them any info i find and also i try to tell them wat fis r compatible witht he fish i already have but my dad listens to the clerks which give him COMPLETLY different info then wat i get on here! so it is getting to be pointless trying to tell my dad wat i learn on here and i have involesd them sense my first post on here so dont think i havent been doing stuff the only thing i didnt tell them was that chichlid kid said to lie to them about feeding the fry to my betta >.>

Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 04:57Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
yea, just sit down with your dad, and maybe your mom if she is the understanding one and go over some profile info on this site.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 04:58Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
Wow, 11 years old, eh? I got a fish tank for my 11th b-day too for me to get started. It's unfortunate that the only library near you is your school library; around here there are a number of good libraries. The internet is a powerful tool, but unfortunately there's also some misinformation, which happens less with published books.

Yeah, PetCo employees are random high school kids with no fish credentials. For someone knowledgeable about fish you usually want to go to a privately-owned fish store; some of these people are actual aquarists themselves which makes them more knowledgeable.

Unfortunately, livebearer fry has little value as anything other than feeders. There's really no way around that; it's because they're so easy to breed. The only livebearers of value are specific breeds. However, if you breed bettas you should be able to get some return from a small fish store; small fish stores are often willing to buy fish off from you (or at least give store credit), while larger chains like PetCo are not.

I used to talk to my parents about fish, but they got tired of hearing it.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 20:55Profile PM Edit Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
yea parents say they wanna no wat u r doin then they get bord of it lol. i no of 1 private owned fish store but it is kinda far away. there is only 1 in all usa but it is the biggest in florida so i think it will be worth the drive if i ever get to go.... o and do u remember wat ur first fish was? mabey it was mine to

Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 22:48Profile PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
there is only 1 in all usa but it is the biggest in florida

Are you HONESTLY trying to tell me there is only one privately owned LFS in the USA?
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 23:19Profile PM Edit Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
no there is only 1 of that fish store in the usa it is only in fortpeirce florida not that there is only 1 private owned fish store in usa lol

Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 23:51Profile PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Do you not have a Yellow Pages or something similar? I bet theres at least 3 or 4 stores near you that you're just not aware of.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 23:54Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
this is honestly getting out of hand...a 6-7 yr old knows how to look things up in a phone book.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 00:06Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
were did that come from chichlid kid? who even said anything about a 6 year old?!?!

Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 01:01Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
are you handicapped?honestly read the post,your supposedly 11 and you cant look up a lfs in the phone book a 6 or 7 yr old knows how to use a phone book.obv there are lfs around you there isnt only one in florida
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 01:38Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Where abouts in florida are you?
Speaking to a friend who dosnt even keep fish, there are 3 near him in miami. Here are some that i found from ENGLAND.
------
New Life Exotic Fish Inc

31950 SW 197th Ave
Homestead, FL 33030
(305) 242-2999?
------

Dunfee Tropical Fish
2401 Sw 31st Ave # F17, Hallandale, FL 33009
-----------

Jack Wattley Discus
6944 Ne 4th Ave, Miami, FL 33138
-----------
Rain Forest Aquariums Inc
4664 Nw 69th Ave, Miami, FL 33166
--------
Benny's Tropical Fish
9907 Pines Blvd, Pembroke Pines, FL 33024
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 02:11Profile PM Edit Report 
bettadude
Fingerling
usa
those r all about an hours drive away from me i live in port st lucie florida.

Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 02:24Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
bettadude i apologize about misaddressing you as the author of the ridiculous question (in the other post oscar+betta) as you have asked some rather out-there ones as of late. If I could give you a bit of advice:
you should ask your mom or dad to come n here with you, that way whatever you say on here or ask on here has been proof read and your parents can also know exactly what you are doing and learning (they will learn too). as far as I know yo are supposed to be 13 to get a membership here so i suggest that you not broadcast you young age and rather have your mom or dad help you out.

as for your breeders tank you need to do a bit of research rather than just asking random questions and always be ULTRA specific when asking or telling on here as assumptions can often be wrong when not enough information is provided.

as for breeding keep some fish for a few months in happy harmony then once you are a bit more knowledgeable and when you have a good solid plan you can embark on establishing a breeding plan.

also often times other users get aggravated at what they may think to be dumb questions so you just have to roll with the punches, its hard to get into the site but once you get settled in it will be your home.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 03:09Profile PM Edit Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Mez & Chiclid Kid cut it out. U were new to the hobby once too. How old are you guys? Act like it! Pish, posh. Do either of you have children? You show no patience. I asked my youngest, to prove my point, "If you needed a watch repair store what would you do?" Her answer was, "Ask you to get it fixed." Then she said "mapquest". Like that would tell her what she needs. It never occured to her to manually look it up in the phone book until it was suggested. Heck, sometimes I forget about the phone book. Lord help me to find it when I really need it. Not everyone thinks in the same pattern. AND EVERYONE HAS A BRAIN FART!! Give the poor boy a break.

You should be ashamed. I'll be quiet now.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 06:26Profile PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
male uk
Im certainly not ashamed by trying to provide a list of LFS. If the poster in question can sign up to a forum and post threads, they can search google.
Also, i value a life of a living animal more than a watch.
If you want to keep an animal, you should be able to provide them with the care they need and know how to look after them, if you dont, then dont do it. Simple.
Mez
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 06:38Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
im not ashamed,but if i can find lfs's in the florida area, certaintly wouldnt you agree some one who lives in the florida AREA can find the lfs?he has just asked the same question in multiple threads
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 14:10Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
Being in Florida, you should have many excellent fish stores locally. There are three or four privately-owned fish stores in a 20-30 minute drive from me! There should be a store near you a well. The phone book is one place to look. Sometimes some of the stores around here will print coupons in the newspaper. Doing a search on Google Maps could help too. If you have a local aquarium club, consider going to a meeting; members will not only know a lot about aquarium fish-keeping, but will know the area and help to direct you to fish stores.

Here's a link to a search I did:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&abauth=f30fff3d%3A1ng3_i_DzhM7XyeeTLdX05qxon0&view=text&hl=en&q=port+st+lucie+tropical+fish+store

I agree that you guys came on a little hard. Rather than turn someone away, try to give them a positive experience, not just for the forum but with the hobby overall.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 21:52Profile PM Edit Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
ok, well i apologize for coming on hard,and id also like to apologize bettadude for my class mate who thought that it would be funny to harrass you on the forum.we are doing a project on water polutant and how decaying matter and other things can take a toll on the nitrogen cycle for my ecology class,so i thought to share this website but apparently highschool kids cant act mature enough.also another tip to find other lfs may be to ask employees at the storeabout other lfs(if you dont want them to think that they you would rather spend your money else where, simply tell them they did not have something you were looking for but ask if theyd recommmend another store that may have it,and there you go)or perhaps some customers in the store may know of one and would be happy to tell you.
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2009 23:18Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
# Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies