L# Gourami Foods????
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGourami Foods????
bettadude
Fingerling
Kudos: 15
Votes: 3
usa
hey guys i am wondering is there any cool foods i can feed some gold gouramis? something other then fish food. it would be cool if i could feed them something other then flaked fish food. i thought i heard that i could feed them crickets. oh yea and they are not full size yet. they are about 2 inches....well one is about 2 inches the other is about 2 1/2 inches if this makes a difference....

experience is something you dont get until right after you need it
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2009 22:36Profile PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
theyre probably too small for big crickets, and not fast enough for pinheads, you could give pinheads a try though.
Also, frozen food works well ie bloodworm, tubifex.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2009 02:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
how about baby brine shrimp.they come frozen,just unthaw them in some tank water.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2009 03:37Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
You would want to go with the full grown brine shrimp.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2009 03:45Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
even though there that small?how about small worms.the ones i use to fish with are called trout worms,they are very tiny and can be bought at any convenience store.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2009 04:02Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Bettadude if you have a look at My Profile you will see a huge range of foods I have used over the years. I have had a mix of Gourami in the tank but mainly Opaline and Pearl and mostly males too.
They are still small fish so be careful what to use, also some of the foods I have used should only be used the day before a good water change or a filter cleaning. It will be a matter of trying different foods and seeing if they like them. If you are not sure if a fruit or vegetable is suitable DONT use it ask first. Just because you like its taste does not mean it is safe to use Citrus fruit is always a big nono also remember it either must be cooked or washed first. Some vegetables especially prepacked lettuces can often have high traces of Chlorine for packaging and handling reasons.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2009 09:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
also bettadude you could try guppy or other livebearer fry if your still doing your livebearer tank.Not to start a debate but from a forum devoted specifically to the oscar fish they have listed as a food to feed themthat is beneficial to there diets as nectarines,peaches,oranges.personally i have always fed citrus foods,people on this site say not to but cannot tell me a reason as too why, people on sites devoted to specific fish say to, its your call but my fish love them so i continue to feed.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2009 19:45Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
EditedEdited by keithgh
Golden Gourami
Info from site above
The Gold Gourami, like all the variants of this species, are omnivores. These fish will generally eat all kinds of live, fresh, and flake foods. A quality flake or pellet food makes a good base to the diet. Supplementation should include white worms, blood worms, brine shrimp, or any other suitable substitute. Fresh vegetables can be offered as well, blanched lettuce being a good option for many aquarists
As you can see I feed Gourami corectly. Over the years I have had several varieties but I found the Opaline Gourami are the best for my tank condition.
There is no mention of feeding them live bearer fry. Most fish will eat small live fish to survive but in a tank plenty of other good foods can easily be substituted.

I will NEVER feed any live food into my tank you have no idea where it came from and the conditions it was grown and there is always the chance of importing a big problem. I am specifically referring to live blood worms etc.
This does not include food you breed you self like wigglers etc.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2009 11:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
well thats good, so in the fact that he has mollies and mollies fry it must be okay then eh keith?
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2009 20:03Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
Mollies would get along quite nicely in the diet that
Keith has recommended. They eat algae, plants, small
invertebrates, and insect larvae.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/SailfinMolly/SailfinMolly.html

Before the "salt" comment comes up...note that this article
is for "wild caught" Mollies.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2009 20:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
frank were talking about feeding gold gouramis not mollies.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2009 20:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Gourami and other labyrinth fishes are omnivores with an insectivorous bent, if I'm not mistaken. I agree with Keith, though, with live foods you generally don't know what they've been affected with (like if you dig up worms from your garden or something) and don't know if it's safe.

IMO, crickets are way too big for even adult gold gourami, but I've been wrong (and surprised) before.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2009 21:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
ok i agree with you too here, but would tiny fry be small enough and also safe if he is breeding them himself.as long as his params are in check, fish are not stresses and are overall healthy chances are they are safe. it not like he is going to his lfs and buys feeder fry.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 03:16Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
OIC,
I did not go back far enough in the thread. You see, I
thought that your sarcastic comment was indicating that
he had Mollies in with the other fish and you were saying
Ya, but what would the mollies eat. To which I was saying
that the diet suggested for the one type of fish would also
serve the mollies as well. So, he could even put the pair
of adult mollies in the tank, and the fry would serve as
live food, and the survivors as well as the parents would
also eat the same as the primary fish.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 03:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
EditedEdited by Babelfish
well that's good, so in the fact that he has mollies and mollies fry it must be okay then eh keith?

Well what was this statement about????

Fish feeding can be a very complicated business what I have seen fish eat over the years many would not believe. Just ask any fisher-person

i have always fed citrus foods,people on this site say not to but cannot tell me a reason as too why, people on sites devoted to specific fish say to, its your call but my fish love them so i continue to feed.

If my memory serves me right (old as it may be) Frank did try to explain about the Acidic acid in their mouths. Now saying that does not mean it cannot be done as some fish will eat acidic foods but what Frank was saying it is not advisable to do so. If you like the advise given elsewhere you are welcome to it but just because 'THEY SAY" does not make it correct unless the information comes directly from the University of "THEY SAY" for some reason I have never been able to locate that Uni. I know it was never accepted at Uni when I was doing my Bachelor of Education plus many other subjects. In teaching you can only have facts and in that Frank and myself have had a life time of it

Frank and myself have kept fish for many years ( I am not going to tell you how many but it would be well over 75years. That must account for some thing.
If I was researching a new fish I would immediatly go to its location and see where it came from and the type of natural foods in the area. You would find a huge range and types of foods and not one would come in a container from a LFS.

What Frank and myself are giving here is many years of experience and good old fashioned research from the old school of knowledge and life.

Sorry to get side tracked here but I felt a few things had to be corrected before things got lost in the question asked.
Fish cannot go down to the Supermarket to buy foods for them selves, they must depend on us to give them a good healthy and varied diet.
A long while back I posted a lot about fish feeding I think its about time I dug it out and posted again.

Look here for my
Keith

VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 05:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
if you could dig it out i would like to read it.but not to start in arguement but could the mollies fry that are in the tank be eat by the gourami as food, and even if they arent in the same tank wouldnt they be safe becaus ehe is bredding them and most likely knows they are free from disease?jw
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2009 07:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
To answer your questions, molly fry could certainly be eaten by gourami. I personally do not trust any fish with a fish that it is large enough to eat. On the other hand, gourami do not tend to eat fish, so there is the possibility that fry could also be okay. And yes, there would be little risk of disease transfer from fry to the gourami if this occurred.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 00:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
male usa
ok thanks shini
Post InfoPosted 21-Jan-2009 21:30Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies