AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Species
 L# Livebearers Lane
  L# Are mollies somewhat aggressive?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAre mollies somewhat aggressive?
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 55
Votes: 0
male uk
EditedEdited by Rookie_Boy
The bullying only happens during feeding times,
I have 5 mollies, 1 male 4 females,
3 of the females have grown well are an inch long, The other female is about half a inch, The male is between Half a inch to an inch long, One of the bigger females is chasing and biting, the other mollies & fish away, from the area where I feed,(Between a Net breeder & Plastic breeder,The breeders are a foot apart,) My other fish are, Guppies, neons, glowlights, does not chase corys, or the angel,
The offending molly is now in fishy jail.
Why is she doing this?
She chases the male & small female molly mostly (Who I am trying to feed up!)

Thanks R_Boy

Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 10:03Profile PM Edit Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
i've observed that behaviour regularly. If there are more than one of the same sex, one tries to be the dominant one and chases the other to misery. Can be avoided by having larger tank and extra hiding places. (well, for a moment i thought i was talking abt mbunas )
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 12:37Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
JQW
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 758
male australia
What sized tank do you have?

What you could do is feed at different area, such as two ends of the tank.
I do that with my discus.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 12:53Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
I had a mollie that was aggressive, but only at feeding time. I tried everything - feeding at different ends of the tank, breaking feeding wafers into several pieces & scattering across the tank. Nothing worked. whoever else was eating something, she thought she should have it instead. In the end I returned her to LFS. I only had the one mollie, so I can't say if that is typical. It might just have been her particular personality.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 15:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
smapty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 64
Votes: 7
male usa
Yeah Mollies are pigs when it comes to food. I had three males (all brothers) and they would push even Rams out of the way. So no worries they just like their food.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 17:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
male uk
EditedEdited by Rookie_Boy
JQW, They are in a 29g,
Relieved that it is quite normal.
So she is the dominant one at the moment, So How long do I wait before introducing her back into the tank?(so she Lose her place on the pecking order) She is still in fishy Jail.

Thanks,
R_Boy

:Just an update, Let her go, she is leaving the other fish alone, will update you the next time I feed.
Post InfoPosted 27-Jul-2006 23:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
chelaine
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 343
Votes: 78
female usa
I agree with everyone else, mollies are "peaceful community fish" except when it comes to food! I had one female that was a pig. she would chase the angelfish even, who happen to be 4 times as big as her! anyway, im not sure if there is a way you can train them to not be food-aggressive, i think its just a thing that you have to deal with if you're gonna keep it. if it causes any type of damage to another fish while its being greedy, i would take it back and exchange it.

*Chelle*
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 06:00Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
male uk
Chelaine,As I live In the uk, you can't take a fish back after you bought it.
Fed them again, she seems to be leaving them alone.

R_Boy
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 08:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
EditedEdited by TankWatcher
Those are tough rules. I can think of situations where it is better for the buyer, the environment, the fish & the industry to take back unsuitable fish - even if you don't get any money for the returned fish.

I glad to hear though that she has settled down for you./:'

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 09:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy
-----
Hobbyist
male uk
Thanks robyn

R_Boy
Post InfoPosted 29-Jul-2006 10:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lifeofcrimeguy
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 265
male australia
EditedEdited by lifeofcrimeguy
ive never had a mollie that wasnt aggressive all the time, not just at feeding. especially when there is more than one but even if there isnt.
btw around here many store dont like to take fish whether they are returns or not. exceptions for me is usually when the owner knows me enough to know when im not gonna introduce diseases to his tanks.
Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2006 06:12Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
LFS I deal with says that one of reasons he does trade-ins is not only to look after customers he knows well, but because he knows that a small percentage of unscrupulous fish owners may release their unwanted fish into the local water ways, which can result in environmental issues. This in turn causes his industry problems & he says it's his small way of helping to prevent that.

I think that each LFS makes it's own decision, but without even looking hard, each one I've dealt with has taken the line of receiving returned fish. My aggressive mollie was one fish that I returned.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 04-Aug-2006 06:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
janenenc
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 35
Votes: 3
female australia
Has anyone experienced dalmation mollies hounding gold mollies to death? I had two dalmations (both female) and two gold mollies (one sailfin male and one female). One of the dalmation females in particular hounded the gold female until she died. I had the gold female in isolation for a time and fed her up as she was a slow feeder, but she jumped into the main tank when I was out and was dead when I got home. Three weeks later I found my sailfin male dead too . The two females left are healthy, and there are now about 50 babies swimming around my tank.

My boyfriend bought another gold male yesterday, and it wasn't long before he was being hounded too. Not sure why this is . There are platies in the tank also and they don't have a problem.
Post InfoPosted 17-Aug-2006 03:52Profile MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
cjzapata
-----
Small Fry
male usa
try cutting the feeding time and seperate them with a divider so they could get used to the other fishy!

10g Freshwater:
1-Albino Corydoras Catfish
Post InfoPosted 12-Nov-2006 21:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies