Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBaby Platy
EvilE
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 7
Votes: 0
male usa
I found a baby platy in my mixed community tank tonight--very cute, he is hiding around one of the plants. I imagine he will be eaten at some point, but very neat all the same! There is just one also.....
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 07:18Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
If you want to keep it catch it and keep it in a net until you can get a fry holder to put into your tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 10:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
Look around, he might have some siblings hiding also. Catch the little guy and put him in a fry holder, if you have one - or like Keith said, keep him in a net until you can get one. Make sure to pick up some fry food as well.
Post InfoPosted 13-Dec-2007 18:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
EvilE
-----
Fingerling
male usa
ok, I got him in a net now, and where do I get a fry holder? Petsmart?
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2007 03:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
EvilE
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Just got back from petsmart, and got a Lee's 2-way breeder tank, and some Hikari First Bites fry food. I got him in the breeder now, and put in a small pinch of the food, can't tell if he ate or not yet. I think I put too much in there! It should be ok though. The breeder tank just floats I guess, because it didn't come with any sort of tank fasteners to hang it or anything--hopefully it doesn't sink! Any other ideas, or input?
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2007 04:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Aww, how cute! I love livebearer fry!!! I would try and keep the net in a zone of relatively medium strength water, leaning a bit to the weaker side. That way, fresh water could be supplied, and the fry wont get too overpowered. You could always use a magnet cleaner (I love these. An all purpose tool in the tank that does anything for me but clean) and secure it to the glass so that it dosent sink the breeder net, and risk the exposure of predators or the escape of the fry. Try to move things around for the other fry, as there is bound to be more. If not, the others all got eaten!

Good luck, and congrats!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2007 05:21Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
EvilE
-----
Fingerling
male usa
Well, the fry holder (breeder tank) isn't a net, but a plastic clear small aquarium that is supposed to float--and it does seem to be ok so far. I put a small live plant in there with him, so he feels secure, and we'll see how it goes. I wanna give the little fella a chance at a full life!
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2007 06:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Troy_Mclure
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 306
male australia
I'd like to throw my hat into the ring and offer advice as well. My brother found 3-4 platy fry in his canister filter once so if you have the time check it out.
Post InfoPosted 14-Dec-2007 13:57Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
EvilE
-----
Fingerling
male usa
I have an AC 110 hang on filter, and I have a sponge on the intake.....
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2007 02:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
The container will float wothout any problems, but if you want, you can stick it with the side glass & with only a little pressure, it will stick to the glass. At least that's what i do when i need to use the plastic breeding box.

Yes, you might have other baby Platies in there, but you don't have to worry much, as in 4 weeks time, others will be born.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 15-Dec-2007 10:19Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies