L# Lionfish??
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLionfish??
chopper3678
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male
I have a 44 gallon pentagon tank and im wanting a lion fish its my favorite fish on earth. Now do i have to do anything special do they sell really thick gloves to clean the tank because i know they are poisonus. The last thing is has anyone ever had problems with lionfish killing the others with its spines like at night or something
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2010 19:29Profile PM Edit Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
You do realize that this fish is SALTWATER? The fish in your previous posts are all FRESHWATER. The fish list you stated earlier will not survive in a saltwater setup, and the Lionfish can't be in a freshwater setup. You're going to have to choose one and stick to it.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2010 20:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited 17-Jan-2010 04:46
I'm sure you mean a hexagon tank? I've never seen a pentagon.

Hmmm, I actually have seen thick gloves that go up to the shoulder, but not at a fish store, just in a catalog. I'd try a store that sells fishing supplies.

I have not heard of lionfish killing other fish with their venom. They will leave alone fish that are too big for them to eat.

There are a number of species of lionfish, most of which grow too large for a 44 gallon. A fuzzy dwarf lionfish (Dendrochirus brachypterus) could be small enough, but since I don't know your tank's dimensions I'm not 100% sure, since hex tanks tend to be taller rather than longer and wider. You might only be able to keep a juvenile lionfish, not an adult, which means it'd be preferable to upgrade eventually.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2010 04:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
If you do have a Hex, then this site might help:

http://www.howmanyfish.com/hex.htm

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2010 06:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
I have seen the 45 g pentagon tanks, its a corner type tank, it actually looks exactly like an xlg 1 gal corner style betta tank... a triangle with 2 extra small sides to make 5 sides if that makes any sence... about as tall as it is wide.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jan-2010 16:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
chopper3678
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male
yes i know its saltwater after a discussion with my friend me and him are going to make this tank ours and go halves on it since saltwater can be pricey and here are the dimensions 21-15/16"L x 25"W x 25-7/8"H but yes i want a lionfish bad and im wanting a small snowflake eel as well but since eels have poor eye sight i dont want him to run into the spines

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2010 00:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Ah, I have seen that pentagon tank now that I see it...

There is absolutely no danger of the eel running into the lionfish's spines. I haven't heard of morays having really bad eyesight...? Morays with lionfish are a tried and true combination, they are both quintessential saltwater predators that ignore fish too big to eat.

Well, of course the snowflake eel won't stay small forever, but a 44 gal would work pretty well for some time since they're pretty inactive.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2010 03:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies