Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeElectric blue jack dempseys
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
Something totally different from plecos, electric blue jack dempseys. I just couldn't pass up these cute blue guys. The photos are pre-release and some of the coloring is off from the stress but hopefully I will get some nicer shots when they settle in. Naturally, this argumentative species is not getting any neighbours, and oh I shudder to think how my plants are going to fare, but I just luv em.

Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2008 01:15Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Even now they look a very aggressive fish.
Well done on your selection the colouration should improve one the fish settles in and plenty of good food.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2008 03:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Alex
---------------
Fish Addict
male australia
They wont stay ''cute'' for long... i assume you realize how aggressive these fish are, they were even named after a boxer.... they get well over a foot long and you'd need to have a pair in at least a 120gals of water imo and if you were thinking of breeding them you will either need to cull or seriously figure out where the fry are going, not very many lfs's are interested in large numbers of these aggressive guys

''All the clown fish and yellow tangs in the world cant save you now!''
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2008 03:57Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
http://www.geocities.com/jackarthur46/electric_blue.html
8 to 10 inches is not over a foot long
electric blues are reputed to be not quite as aggressive, nor as large as the normal JD.
As to actual breeding, that I have not decided. I do not think you can breed EBJD to EBJD as the fry is not as strong as a normal JD carrying electric blue genes, to full electric blue.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2008 05:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Alex
---------------
Fish Addict
male australia
I have seen 12 inch male JDs if housed in good enough conditions the males should get that big...

and wouldnt breeding be exactly the same concept as breeding koi angels with koi angels....

''All the clown fish and yellow tangs in the world cant save you now!''
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2008 06:01Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
It seems there is quite bit written and there seems to be a lot of different views.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=158217&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

http://bluejax.14.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=537

Looks like I have picked up some unordinary exceptional little fish.

Sorry if the word "little" offends, Alex, but at a current size of 1 inch, you will have to excuse me for the term. I am aware of their adult size and future agression but for the moment that is hardly an issue.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2008 07:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
EBDs are reasonably docile.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2008 16:05Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Cup_of_Lifenoodles
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 1957
Votes: 30
male usa
"They wont stay ''cute'' for long... i assume you realize how aggressive these fish are, they were even named after a boxer.... they get well over a foot long and you'd need to have a pair in at least a 120gals of water imo and if you were thinking of breeding them you will either need to cull or seriously figure out where the fry are going, not very many lfs's are interested in large numbers of these aggressive guys"

Dude, calm down.

Also, JDs aren't nearly as prolific as you put them out to be, and electrics are worth a pretty penny anywhere--moreso in Aus.
Post InfoPosted 11-Jul-2008 16:18Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
More photos, yes?
If I toggle flash on the camera I get much more natural color, unfortunately without a tripod they all turn out burry.

Their favourite pastime next to chasee is wrestling. They are rather like puppies in that they whack each other in the face with their tails and try to bite each others front underneath fin.

See how good they can camouflage into their surroundings?

Shy and skittish...yeah right.

Gee, posing for the camera. Can you see how he got his name, Gee?

On patrol to make sure that other EBJD doesn't take over his turf.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2008 09:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Beautiful fish! They're going to be gorgeous when they get bigger. First time I saw a photo of an EBJD in a magazine I wanted one. Not that I have a proper place to put one. They're just so lovely. A family friend years ago had a regular JD in a 20 gallon or so tank, amazingly that fish lived to be about 13. The regular ones are really pretty fish, but the EBs are stunning.

><>
Post InfoPosted 13-Jul-2008 16:46Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies