Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMy 8th tank.
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
Oops, I did it again and bought tank number 8 today.
It is 36" x 15" x 18". The mind boggles as to what fish I will put into it, but maybe I should start with some water first.
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2008 09:08Profile PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Wow Bren, you're going nuts. New fish, new tanks. I wonder how your house looks with all those aquariums, lol. Is that a brand new tank or is it used? If I were going to start a new tank I'd sure be cutting costs that way.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2008 16:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Poobles
-----
Fingerling
Oodles Of Noodles
Kudos: 11
Votes: 5
female usa
Think you should get a seahorse.

Post InfoPosted 11-Mar-2008 20:13Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
look cool... maybe make a SW tank...

if not maybe you could try some angel fish or something a bit more difficult to raise.. discus? probably too small for them...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2008 03:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
or maybe mudskippers????

Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2008 03:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
Is there any truth you are looking for a bigger block of land to build a air craft hanger for your tanks and dogs.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2008 05:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Ha, ha, witty Keith. No no aircraft hanger, no extra dogs, and maybe even no extra fish either.

I am thinking of putting my bn's, common whiptails, and royal whiptails in the tank and if I need to later, (short term), my white clouds from the pond if the pond temp goes toward 5 celcius in winter.

Here's my idea; to have no substrate and put in various dw, cave rocks, and urns with ferns and anubias attached as well as breeding tubes and logs in.
My idea is to get the bottom guys to breed and I could keep the fry in the tank with the parents.

Can I do this or should I add sand or gravel?

Post InfoPosted 12-Mar-2008 23:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
It should be quite possible to breed those fish without substrate. It'll be cleaner without substrate, too.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 13-Mar-2008 03:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
In preparation for the arrival of the new tank, I have been running two filters in the 3ft community tank, for 2 weeks.
First I cleaned the old filter sponge in old tank water, then squeezed the new sponge in the silty water to give it a bacteria start.

The other night was WC night for my other 7 tanks, so I stole several cups of gravel from a few tanks and added it to my new tank. Then gravel vac'd the wc tanks and tossed that mulm in the new tank. Lastly I used all the old water from the other tanks during water change to half fill the new tank, and topped up with clean water.

I added several anubias, crypt, ferns on dw, cave rock, and urns from the old tanks to the new tank. I also rounded up bits of floating plants from the other tanks (thanks for the suggestion Keith ) and floated it in the new tank.

The next evening, the tank was clear and the filters, heater, lights and tank walls were all good so I added my three bristlenosed females (2 small and one mature one).

Twelve hours later, I did water tests.
Ph 6.6, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 80.
The high nitrates would be due to the old water and mulm added but I will hold off a clean up until I am sure no ammonia levels are going to rise.

Oh, forgot, I double dosed with Stability, just to be sure good bacteria was starting.

Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2008 01:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
wow the tank looks great bren... hope the plecos wanna breed in there!

Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2008 06:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Bren ...you are amazing and so is your hubby ...I want to marry him wish my partner was so understanding ...I just want a small grow out tank for plants ...well and maybe a few fishy's .

Anyway nice setup should be a wonderfull home for your bottom dwellers ...hope they repay you with lots of babies .

Garry
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2008 12:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies