SubscribeNew 55gal
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 56
Votes: 1
male usa
http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa118/spankym13/55%20gal%20setup/
What do ya'll think bout this set up and what kinda cichlids would work best.
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2008 07:36Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
hmm possibly yellow labs or electric blues (sorry i know not the scientific names).. they are usually sold together, but i would do one or the other...

are you looking for larger or smaller species? if smaller then maybe try multis or smaller shell dwelling cichlids, they will form a breeding colony that will be magnificent in such a large tank (although you will need to add a plethora of shells...

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2008 09:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I was thinking some the size of eletrics 10-12 maybe? And maybe 1 or so large ones. The only larger ones i've seen round here are : Texas,green terror,oscars,convicts,severum,dempseys,parrots. But im new so any advice is great. Also how many should you add at a time.
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2008 21:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
You should not add more the 1-3 fish at a time for fear of transmitting parasites or disease. If there is something wrong with the fish, you want to be able to identify which ones or which batch it came from. After you add new fish wait at least a week or two before adding more. Watch the new fish closely to be sure they are healthy. If you have a quarentine tank, that would be better. You can add them to quarentine for a couple of weeks and if healthy flip them into the official "home" tank. If in a quarentine tank you can identify which one is sick and treat it without having to treat the "whole" tank, stress the other fishs, plants, and do constant water changes. I'm sure there is more I'm forgetting, but that is the most important point I can think of right now.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2008 21:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Yea, I've got two other tanks. I just wasn't sure if cichlids were different due to there temper. Thanks for all the help
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2009 02:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
moondog

---------------
---------------
The Hobnob-lin
Kudos: 1038
Votes: 4366
male usa
most of the larger cichlids you list will not get along with the blues or yellows. and one oscar or green terror will outgrow your tank eventually. if you want a community cichlid tank, you could do severums with rams and angels, but keep in mind that angels and severums are semi-aggressive fish.

"That's the trouble with political jokes in this country... they get elected!" -- Dave Lippman
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2009 20:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies