AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Photo Booth
  L# New Tank and Newer Tank Pics (at last!)
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew Tank and Newer Tank Pics (at last!)
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
EditedEdited by Joe Potato
Yes, I know I've been promising them for a while now. But I'm lazy, so there you have it.

Okay, first thing is first: the 10 gallon I set up 6 or so weeks ago. It was originally conceived as a Sparkling Gourami tank, but they both died within days of putting them in. Oddly enough, the pygmy corys I have survived. Go figure.

A lot of the plants are uprooted because I salvaged some from my main tank when that went down the crapper. I just haven't planted them yet, and intend to put some of them back into the main tank.

For whatever reason, I cannot for the life of me get a decent picture of a fish. Here's my CT betta I got 3 or 4 weeks ago instead of more gouramis. His colors don't show through at all. He's an interesting mix of dark blues and reds, with some irridescent green at the caudal penuncle.

Okay, onto the newer tank. As some of you know, my 38 gallon suffered 100% casualties after a power outtage from an ice storm. After pouting for a few days, I set out trying to come up with something a bit different -- I've never really been a fan of conventional community tanks, and frankly the 38 gallon never really sat quite right with me once I converted it from the river tank.

Here's a before picture:

All in all, a very pretty tank, but it is lacking a certain flair. Although, if you take note, that is a very rare picture where I caught an Otto swimming midwater.

Anyway, in my search for something a bit different, I decided I wanted to do a tank with a lot of interesting topographical features. I decided to do a predominantly driftwood tank with a black substrate. The pictures don't really do it justice -- it looks positively wicked.

Full tank:

Center:

Left side:

Right side:

I'm eventually going to be putting a black background on the back.

I really like the way the driftwood turned out. I spent literally an hour sitting on the floor of my LFS picking through pieces and putting them together to see what they looked like. I got weird looks.

There's also 75 pounds of gravel because I wanted to build up a slope like you can see on the right side of the tank, even though it has inherent dangers. I think I'll be alright, though.

There's going to be some plants in the tank, probably mostly crypts and anubias. If anyone can tell me what the brown plant in the center of the small tank is, I'd be most appreciative. I really like the looks of it and wouldn't mind a few more.

For fish, I was originally considering schools of Pseudomugil signifer ]http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Signifer.htm[/link]and [link=Darter Characins, with a couple of Wood Shrimp thrown in for kicks. However, seeing the tank the way it is, it really makes me want to put in a school of smallish tetras, maybe glowlights or cardinals, to stand out against the black. I guess I'll have to play with the stocking a bit so I'm not overstocked.

Thoughts, comments, concerns, insults, musings, and apple pies are all sought.

Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 19:22Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Pseudomugil's are stunning fish. Threadfin Rainbows are awesome too if you want to go down that path, and seem to be more common, at least around here.

Wow, your LFS must have a good selection of wood. There's no way I'd be able to sit for an hour arranging the selections I have to work with, lol. Then again I'm no aquascaper, I just like the fish. It looks cool, though. With some plants that tank is going to look even better.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 21:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
I can get threadfins locally, but they're like 6 bucks a fish. I can order the P. signifer from the same site that I'm ordering the darter tetra, so it actually works out to be cheaper that way. Weird.

As far as the driftwood at the LFS...well, it's not so much of an LFS as it is an animal Wal-Mart. I mean, for God's sake, it's called "ThatFishPlace". It's about an hour away from me, but is worth a trip down there every month or so just because I can get ANYTHING I need there. I'm not much of an aquascaper either, but they literally had hundreds of pounds of driftwood there for me to work with. It was like I was 5 and was playing with Legos.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 22:05Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Pseudomugil's are cheaper, even including shipping? Rather impressive. What site is that?

Oh my, ThatFishPlace! I've only been there once but it was quite a store; too bad I don't live closer or I'd probably go more often. As far as I'm concerned it's a fishkeeper's paradise, dream come true, heaven on Earth... and to me that's no exception. The marine selection there is out of this world. It amazed me that you had to get a ticket for someone to get you a fish. OOC, how much were the pieces of wood? I would say I've been thinking of redecorating, but that'd be a lie since my tank has never really been decorated much in the past...

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 01-Jan-2008 23:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
The website is azgardens.com, where I can get them for $2.59 each, and the darters for $4. Put that together in one order and it's cheaper than ordering the darters and getting the threadfins here. I'll probably order a few other things while I'm there. Maybe some plants.

The larger pieces of wood were $13 a pop, the smaller ones were $6 or so. VERY reasonable.

If you ever make it back to TFP, drop me a line.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2008 00:25Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Oh, I see, you'll be paying shipping anyway. Pseudomugil's are awesome. Those darter characins are crazy, too; looks a lot like a percid!

Those are indeed reasonable wood prices. I think I have some comparable prices near here, though of course there's not quite the same selection. I don't see myself heading up there anytime soon, despite how great it is, though.

Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2008 01:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
I didn't realise driftwood could look so good. You have got some really nice peaces there.
Note to self: Take a handsaw down to the beachhouse just in case some nice big bits of driftwood wash up.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2008 02:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fish patty
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 223
Votes: 255
female usa
Great start joe! I love the driftwood! Will look pretty cool once the water & plants are in there.

I will miss the old set up though.I learned to identify you by it. But now I know you, so it's ok.

Looking forward to the new pics when you get it all set up!
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2008 20:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Brengun, driftwood is totally the way to go. If I had a little more cash lying around my tank might be filled with the stuff.

Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2008 21:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sora
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 96
Votes: 134
male usa
gotta say im pretty jealous thats some nice DW joe! its gonna be a beautiful tank! the tank im makeing now is running along the same lines. lol ive got DW black gravel and im planning on getting black background! weird no? anyways awsome tank! cant wait to see it done!

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we dont know what to do.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2008 04:36Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
Joe , Very nice Driftwood ... You will certainly have lots of potential for a stunning aquascape .
I think a whole bunch of Annubia's Paco / Barteri or some such will look stunning tied to those
pieces . I would not ignore the old fav Java Fern either ...could look very good in a place or 2 .

I'm a big fan of Crypts as well ... so a few brown and green Wendti as well as a bunch of
Balansae behind the driftwood would look great . I would also get something fast growing in
there as well... maybe Giant Hygro ... gives a bit of structure and would look great against
your black background .
On the Fish side have you seen the Gold Honey Gourami's ... very small fish with brillant
yellow and red colours ... would look stunning with your black colour scheme .

Anyway just a couple of thoughts , can't wait to see what you do .
Post some picks of your progress if you can .

Good Luck

Garry
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2008 04:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
lookin' good =] =]

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2008 11:04Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
Hey, you fill that tank up yet? Just curious to see if you have any updates for us.

Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2008 18:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Yeah, it's full and has some comets in there to cycle. I had a bit of a puzzler where my well suddenly started pulling up chlorinated water. Still trying to figure that one out.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jan-2008 20:40Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Great Tank!!!!

LOL, at first, i thought you got BLUE gravel! THe pix reflect the light in a way that it looked really blue! Good job! CANT WAIT!!!!

WHat type of DW is that? It surely looks nice, and i couldnt spend 15 minutes with the DW at my store.......60 bucks for a big piece!!!!

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 11-Jan-2008 01:38Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies