Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSerious aquascaping attempt
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
My poor old 3ft community tank had seen better days.
The gravel was so deep, I couldn't vac it well.
The plants were being eaten by clownloaches amonst others.
This before photo was taken when things weren't too bad, it went downhill from then.

I started a new tank and the featherfins and danios are gone from the 3ft community and the angelfish, SAE and clowns will be going to the new tank when its stable.
I plan to put my 4 common bristlenoses in this 3ft tank so I thought I would spruce it up a bit.
Not a lot of point to fixing plants atm but they will get some attention later.
I spent hours painstakingly removing the thick gravel and it was chockers full of rubbish. I vac'd and carefully netted it out but at times, I couldn't even see the fish!

I installed a canister filter, aquaworld 1100 and that cleared a lot of my mess, together with the large sponge filter and power filter.
To hold back the remaining gravel and to make it look like a beach retaining wall, I put smooth pebbles against it.
Then I put in sand and a soaked piece of driftwood. I had sawn it to fit a few days ago and the saw marks haven't faded down yet.
I also added a new jager heater, complete with heaterguard for when the bristlenose get moved in.

Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 07:36Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I like the general layout but there are several things that concern me.
What is going to happen to those plants in the red pots at the moment they just stand out too much?
I would remove those white stones again they stand out too much and replace them with the similar colors as the other natural coloured small stones.
The DW appears too big for that tank. If it could go further to the left and the LH end be towards the back more and point it towards the front RH corner. Then place some of the natural stones as if they had been washed up against the sunken log. They could consist of various sizes as well. Even a Anubias nana running along these stones would take the sharp join between DW and gravel. This would soften up the over all appearance and would lead the eye to other areas of the tank.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 08:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Brengun

----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 187
Votes: 110
female australia au-queensland
Here ya go keith, nice now? I put two of the bristlenoses in and they were like kids in a candy shop and all over the place at once. The clown loaches who are still in the tank didn't know what to make of the new neighbours.

Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2008 09:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
That Anubias has made a huge difference but I still would like to see it moved to the left a lot more.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 26-Jul-2008 04:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies