AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Aquatic Plant That Is Hardy And Will Flower...
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAquatic Plant That Is Hardy And Will Flower...
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
so i am looking for a hardy aquatic plant that will flower...

i do add liquid ferts and i have plenty of food for the plants in my gravel... but i was wondering what type of plant would flower under normal conditions and see if it is availlable.. i just want alittle delicacy and color in my tank...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2008 05:56Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
lol and not apongetons either.. have those and the flower drains themof all their energy.. kills the plant... like a lily or something...

Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2008 06:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
I doubt that there is a lot of aquatic flowering plants, other than apons, but as you said, its their first and (Almost always) last. Some emersed grown plants might also flower, and i heard that swordplants do too. There is a plant that has flowers that look like the peace lily, but i dunno if that is emersed grown, or a stroke of luck. I think it was anubias maybe?

I am sure somebody else will have some kind of experience, but other than that, good luck!

(Lilys like the tiger lily are really nice colored, and look like flowers, but i dont think they actually flower?)

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2008 09:33Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
EditedEdited by brandeeno
thanks goby!!

i am gonna take a look at my LFS...

maybe i will find a fake plant or something that doesnt look terrible...

Post InfoPosted 19-Jan-2008 17:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
The Anubias will flower but it requires all the correct water parameters to flower mine used to flower regularly but have not flowered for several years. Even the A Nana in the Betta tank have never flowered yet the plant ferts are totally different.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 02:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
My anubias flowers about once every three months. It grows out one single flower but it doesn't last that long after about a week it starts to die off.

Amazon Swords do flower but again you need a mature plant, and the right water conditions, its flowers are a lot like the apons, and once it starts flowering it keeps flowering for a while, and shortly after it starts it puts out runners and plantlets I had one that put out 9 plantlets. However, it will start to die back. I am still trying to get mine healthy enough to flower again and its been over 2 years.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 05:04Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
thanks guys. i havent had any anubias yet and havent had any luck with sword.. have a few small plantlets that were larger plants that are barely hanging on regadless of the liquid ferts... so idk... i might try some anubias on a small peice of DW... but then again it seems like most flowering plants are not very reliable to flowe so i might just give up on it and try to raise the plants i have now and get a few new ones and get my plants up to full health!

Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2008 07:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies