Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeCrypts
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 25
Votes: 1
male usa
Just would like some advice on taking care of crypts.friend brought them to me the other day before she went off to college and just need some general advice.oh yea it's a 29g with 2 watts/G.

Est solarus uth mithas,My honor is my life
Post InfoPosted 24-Aug-2007 22:53Profile PM Edit Report 
fishmonster
----------
Big Fish
Oh My Heck!
Kudos: 88
Votes: 73
male usa
To be honest, they don't like being moved, however if you plant them they will come back, you just gotta give them time.

Thanks for your input as always, Shane
http://thetanklog.blogspot.com/ - [ Thanks to ScottF ]
http://www.natureaquariumclubofutah.com/main.html
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2007 00:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
ok,Thanks man.i just planted them today,i know theres something called crypt melt,what's that look like?

Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2007 03:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Countryfish
----------
Fish Addict
Da...Dum .. Da...Dum
Kudos: 83
Votes: 242
male australia
The old leaves seem to just rot away and it looks like the plant is going to die .
But they will return if your conditions are right . 2wpg is medium to low light
which should be ok but you may need to look into some ferts to get the best
out of them .
Do you know what type of Crypt they are ? Maybe post a pic if you not sure
and someone here can help you identify them.

Garry
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2007 05:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
It would be a big help if we knew which Crypts they are.

I would take them OUT that is correct, have a good look at the roots to see if any are broken if so cut using very sharp cutters just above the break. Then toss them back into the tank and let them float for at least 3-4 weeks this will then let the new roots establish and build up strength. If you use plant fert now is the time to use it and follow the fert instructions.
I have use this method for years and usually have a very good success rate. It is a very old method not usually practiced today. I also do this with all plants.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2007 11:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Their cryptocoryne cordata,how do you trim the dead leaves?Or you just let them rot till the plant comes back?

Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2007 15:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
EditedEdited by catdancer
That's an easy one: You cut them at the base of the plant with scissors. Do not allow them to rot in the aquarium as this will negatively affect water parameters. The meting is easily discovered, basicallythe leaves are disintegrating turning into a thin whitish mass that disintegrates (melts away)
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2007 16:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Thanks cat!i'll remember that.i don't think their melting yet.because their all still green and look pretty good.

Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2007 16:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
Kudos: 2194
Votes: 19
female usa
Crypt melt can be pretty much prevented by soaking a crypt in a fresh bucket of water for half an hour or so before planting. Soak them, then rinse them off before planting. You can also soak them, dump the water and resoak for another half hour or so.

Crypts release what is basically a specialized poison that only effects crypts, from what I understand. When a crypt is disturbed (transplanted, roots messed with, etc), it releases this substance that tries to kill off any neighboring crypts that would compete for nutrients, space,what have you. It doesn't harm anything else, but it creates the infamous crypt melt or crypt rot.

I forget who here on FP shared the info with me (perhaps bensaf? I have a wretched memory...) but honestly, I've done this every time I buy a new crypt or have to rearrange or move my tanks... Most times I wind up losing only a leaf or two to melt after presoaking the plants. Before using this trick, I've lost 3/4 of the leaves on a plant.

Oh... crypts LOVE iron. I had crypts in a tank with an iron rich substrate and they grew like mad. Once the substrate was changed out, they grew much more slowly. Fertilizer tabs near the roots do a decent job, too. Just be sure not to disturb the roots too much when inserting the tabs.

(And wow, I just tried to use my cell phone - which is sitting next to my laptop - as a mouse. I'm sad. )

~Meow. Thus spoke the cat.~
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2007 21:07Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Maddeningdream
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Thanks kitten,that's very very helpful.hopefully others read this thread and learn as i have.thanks to everyone for giving me advice it's helped alot.

Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2007 02:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
catdancer
----------
Big Fish
Mad Scientist
Kudos: 138
Votes: 13
female usa us-massachusetts
Sorry,

but this poison that is allegedly released by crypts to make the own species melt does not make any sense, it is like a snake being sensitive to its own venom. Can you elaborate on this please to clarify it?

Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2007 04:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kitten
----------
Fish Guru
Meow?
Kudos: 2194
Votes: 19
female usa
I'm no expert, and indicating it was "poison" was a misnomer on my part. It releases SOME chemical compound of one form or another that causes the melt. I don't understand the scientific aspect of it, I just know that the soaking works.

Like I said, this info was passed to me by another member of FP who undoubtedly understood the process better and could describe it more accurately. However, I'm here and they're not and I hope I helped!

~Meow. Thus spoke the cat.~
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2007 01:58Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
The melt can actually help the plants survive. After melting, they can re-sprout. When the plant is in poor conditions, they can rapidly protect themselves by dropping their leaves, where they are most vulnerable and most of the surface area is. Then when conditions stabilize/improve, the plant can grow again. That's my theory anyway.

><>
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2007 06:02Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi
"Alleopathy is the release of chemicals into the local
environment that act on other organisms.^1
What you are refering to is "auto-inhibition"
where (in our case) plants release chemicals into the water
to limit their own population denisity.

The melting of the plants seems to be a reaction to
unfavorable water conditions. This can be actual water
quality, or even temperature. It is temporary, and the
as the plant recovers from the "shock" it will send out
new leaves and roots and reacclimate to its new environment.

Frank

1. Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, Diana Walstad,
Vol 2, Ch3, pp 33-52.
2. http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/plants/Xema_Cryptocoryne.html
3. http://www.greenchapter.com/article.php?id=19

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 31-Aug-2007 16:12Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies