L# Planted Aquaria
  L# Fertilizers
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFertilizers
ztb23
Hobbyist
Kudos: 137
Votes: 0
Is it safe for an aquarium to use standard soil fertilizer sticks or do fertilizers need to be specifically for aquariums?
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2014 21:32Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
The one's I'm familiar with are the "Jobes Sticks." When I had a HUGE Amazon Sword plant. I would clip each stick in half and then push it deeply (down to the glass) into the substrate. I would use two sticks, cut each in half and then "plant" the stick, vertically, at the four compass points around the plant, about 3 inches out from the plant base.

Seachem's "Balls & Sticks" seem to furnish the micro nurients while Jobes seem to furnish the macro nutrients.

They (the sticks) worked well for me and because I never uprooted them, I never had trouble with Green Water (algae bloom). They are great for "heavy root feeders" like the swords and crypts. Other folks prefer to use liquid fertilizers. To me, those are great for plants with smaller root systems that stay more shallow in the substrate and also the plants that get most of their nutrients from their leaves.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2014 22:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ztb23
Hobbyist
Kudos: 137
Votes: 0
Excellent. Thank you. I have dwarf hair grass that just arrived in the mail today but there isn't as much as I thought there was going to be. So rather than spend more money on more grass I just want it to grow and spread quickly. So I'll probably get a little of both substrate and liquid fertilizers.
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2014 22:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
You do not need the fert sticks with dwarf hairgrass. Their root system is so shallow that the liquids would do just fine. If you are putting that grass in the 50G tall, you will need at least 2 and more probably 3+ watts per gallon of light like we discussed before, for the grass to thrive. Break the mat up into small pieces and plant them about an inch to two inches apart from each other so they will grow together and form a carpet.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2014 06:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies