L# New to Aquatic Plants
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew to Aquatic Plants
chopper3678
Fingerling
Kudos: 18
Votes: 1
male
I wanna get more serious about fish keeping im getting a 44 gallon pentagon tank and putting angels banjo catfish pleco and guoramis and possibly a discus what type of plants and light should i use
Post InfoPosted 14-Jan-2010 21:41Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Plants are dependent on light so pick on or the other... Also those listed fish are not all compatible together. If you really want discus you should keep it species only until they are old and strong enough. Plants that are good should have long leaves such as vals or be large plants in general such as large swords. Depending on what plants are available to you i suggest you do a little research for this... see what you like and see what your stores have then get back to us and we can help you get the equipment you need.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 15-Jan-2010 04:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
TW

----------
Fish Master
* * *Fish Slave* * *
Kudos: 278
Votes: 338
female australia au-newsouthwales
If it is still the baby discus you refer to, then their tank should really be bare bottom. You can have plants - but choose those that can be tied on a piece of driftwood (java fern, annubia, moss) or plant them in terracotta pots (eg swords). Not all plants will be comfortable in the higher temperature that a discus tank requires. A site like www.tropica.com lists lots of aquatic plants and their preferred temperature. Refer to that & it should help you with your choices.

I'd stick to low light plants, if this is to be a baby discus tank. Again, the tropica site will help you with that too.

Cheers
TW
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2010 07:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lahori
Small Fry
Kudos: 2
Votes: 0
Plants in gerneral need nitrAtes to feed on if you dont have a lot of those then you may want to add fish periodicly from another tank to increase the nitrAtes because with out them plants grow.

adil
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2015 04:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited 12-Jan-2015 07:06
Hi,
An interesting variety of fish. First, I would strike the Discus, its temperature requirements are much higher than the other fish mentioned. Additionaly, as was mentioned, many plants will not thrive, and some not survive, at the temperatures required for Discus.

It sounds like you are stocking this tank as if it were a "regular" rectangular tank. A pentagon tank does not have the surface area that a rectangular tank has. It is much smaller.
We used to use the "one inch of fish/gallon" Rule of Thumb.
Now, we use the Surface Area of the tank to determine how
many fish we should house in a given tank.
You can use this site to determine the area of your tank: http://www.math-prof.com/AreaVolume/Pentagon.aspx
Once you have determined the surface area, you can use this site http://www.firsttankguide.net/capacity.php to help you determine how many of what kind of fish to stock it with.

It also does not have the "swimming room" that a rectangular tank has. Fish have to swim "up and down" in the pentagon, much like a "show" tank - they cannot swim back and forth as much. In a sense, you are "crowding" them into a smaller tank.

Lastly, I believe with discus fish, the desire is to have the nitrate levels at 0 or as close as possible. This is accomplished by frequent (daily) large water changes.

BTW, it is never a good idea to add extra fish from time to time just to have them add some "extra" waste products to the tank. Nitrate levels can adjusted chemically with no risk of injury to the swapped fish or increased risk of an outbreak of Ich. One such product is "Grant's Stump Remover." Use the "plain" product that has no additives.

Just some thoughts...
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 12-Jan-2015 07:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies