keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
like having a teacher who will do something with you to help you learn

I dont think Bill Gates has gone that far yet having some one side by side. Yes there is Video etc but this is totally different.
May be I should tell you some thing there are people here on FP who have spent years of teaching various subjects at many different levels I would say from students with physical and mental problems to Uni and beyond and all in between.
As far as I know in Aust any way there is one very basic subject all students are not taught today and that is how to "Think" it is to much hand out or copy this type of system.

With fish tanks no two tanks are the same there are too many variations to even think about. Tanks can change from week to week. With experience you learn to pick the differences, its like using all your senses to concentrate on one thing at a time.

Even if a professional fish keeper stood along side you and said do this and do that but with out all the back ground info of why and what to do when things go wrong it would be totally useless.
I personally think all the info has been given to you its just a matter of you reading and rereading and understanding it all then putting it into practice. If not you are going to worry your self crazy by "am I doing it corectly"
I wish I had all that info when I started way back and even when I set up the 45lt Betta tank not that far back.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 01:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Soidfuf
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 12
male usa
Even if a professional fish keeper stood along side you and said do this and do that but with out all the back ground info of why and what to do when things go wrong it would be totally useless.

I just meant that learning it first hand with a teacher would be a lot easier for me, that doesn't mean I don't need or care about the "background", I would actually prefer to learn that too, that's why I'm asking my questions here. But with all respect Keith, everyone here is trying to help me learn about fish/plant keeping and you at first helped but now you seem to just mock me. If I irritate you that much just ignore my post. Please. I think I get enough drama in high school.
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 02:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Soidfuf
I am far from mocking you as you put it I am just pointing out to you that I think all the info you have been given is exactly what you require its just a matter of you sorting it all out to what is required for your tank.

If you lived locally I would only be too pleased to assist you in any way I could and point you in the right direction as to where to get the plants and your supplies or to people who you could talk to.

I am just trying to point out to you it is extremely difficult doing it this way. Its just like a teacher giving you notes and answering your questions.

Just a thought is there a Aquarium Club in your area that way you can get a hands on experience?

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 02:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Soidfuf
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
That was precisely my point by saying it would be easier to be taught by a teacher in person, but I only said that to explain why I won't understand stuff just by reading it. I will have to read it over and over and ask questions. Which is what I'm doing, or at least trying to do.

But to answer your question I don't know of any clubs around here, even though I'm sure there might be one somewhere. I really would like to get a job at an aquarium store, and if I can, it would be great learning experience.
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 02:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Not to undermine anyone who has been trying to help but it seems like you originally wanted to jump straight into the deep end but are getting a bit scared are you were given more and more information. If you are really that concerned about learning it in person or by trial and error, look into your local area and see if there is an aquatic/aquarium club that might have a few "plant geeks" (no offense to anyone!)

Here you will find valuable people to help you through your journey and might even give you some free clippings/plants to help you get started (at least you'll get better prices!)

if that's out of the question or unavailable then maybe you should try taking it slow. There are plenty of plants that do not require direct CO2 injection or need daily ferting/care. I would suggest if this route is best for you then you should look into the low maintenance plants and lower light plants.

All the same you'll need a smaller grain gravel (as frank said) and you'll need to do some research outside of this forum to find some other answers and to confirm what we have told you.

CO2 and special substrates are not a must for any planted tank, but those enthusiasts enjoy the lush growth it provides with some plant varieties.

I use a simple liquid fert and a substrate pellets I buy at the LFS and a small sized grain substrate and 2watts per gallon with a lot of plants. They do well, do not require tons of time pruning and replanting, but they do accumulate some algae (can be wiped off leaves of larger plants with a small cloth or leaves just snipped off.

So decide which route is best for you right now (you can always upgrade along the road).

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2009 22:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Soidfuf
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I'm still going for the deep end
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2009 02:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited by kellyjhw
I agree with Brandeeno. I have a very simple tank.
No CO2
No nutrient rich substrate
Only 2 Daylight shop light bulbs
I only give liquid ferts sparingly
And I still have to trim the fricking plants every week or two!! This is a 55gal tank too. Not to mention replanting the ones the psycho fish keep pulling up.

You're putting yourself up for ALOT of indoor gardening and research!

GO 4 IT BABE! GOOD LUCK!

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2009 03:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Remember, if you do the CO2 wrong your tank will smell like it's farting.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2009 03:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Soidfuf
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
First do a lot of research on what plants you can buy.

How do I go about doing this besides knowing what size they get to, light/nutrient requirements, and whether I like them or not? Is that it?
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2009 20:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Check out plantgeek.net

That site lets yo know the temperature ranges, pH/gH/kH ranges, light needed, placement in tank, and etc.

You need to find plants you like and those that will work well together.

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2009 20:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies