Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeOperation...Plumbing
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
Lights- undecided, and I'll tell you guys why. Originally I was going to do an Aquamedic strip fixture. But many in my reef club pointed out that if something goes wrong, the whole thing needs to be sent back for repair, so I'll suddenly be left with NO lights. But I really dont like pendants...so I'm still deciding

99% of the time if you place a call to an Aquamedic dealer they will get you the part that you need to make the repair yourself. There really isnt a lot that can go wrong with them other than if the ballast or capacitor goes out.

Good job on the plumbing....It wasnt that hard was it?

[hr width='40%']
Ever since the day you went away
And left me lonely and cold
My life just hasn't been the same
Oh baby no
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
ROFL! I'll let you know when I'm ready. *thinks* Oh oh I remember, there was that thread, where you won the thing at the meeting, and you asked for black or something.

Good memory I am starting to get quite the collection of shirts from online vendors It seems I can always con a shirt out of them

Yeah, the bowfront does have a really cool aquascaping potential. It'll take many hours of playing around but heck, that's what I'm used to so who cares. I feel like my tank has no room.

No matter what tank you have, aquascaping will always take playing around with..and not just hours You will mess around with it for weeks trying to get it just the way you like it. I had my 180 set up for 7 months then decided to take everything out and re-aquascape it...talk about a chore!

Yep, this is just my practice tank. I've got so many planned out already for years to come.

Good, Im glad you are planning future setups already I hope everything works out and you can have a house full of tanks and frags

Well I've got lights and flow covered...lets see if I can handle water quality. I've got test kits for everything I think...I'm still scared though. No SPS till at least August anyway though...

Water quality will be a piece of cake once the tank settles down and you get the balance. You understand the concept, you just need to put it into action. You can do it, I know you can

how come he doesn't have it covered w/ coralline anyway? SPS sucking up too much calcium for that?

Yup, same reason I didnt have any growing in my tank except on the rock....Calcium gets sucked up kinda fast with SPS.

Lol, well I'm sure they'll like everything you suggest. This tank isn't really about the fish anyway. I can't wait to hear some of your ideas

I hope YOU like everything I suggest...I remember going through Reef Fishes so I think I have a pretty good idea of things you like Ill start working on a list soon...hopefully things will settle down a bit and Ill have more time to research and post.

Nate? Want to pay for the rest of my reef tank so that I still have money after I get fired for slapping him? If the answer is yes, then sure! I'll even slap him with a koi, his favorite. We always joke with him that he has a koi tattoo on his butt...he gets angry at us.

You know I would if it was possible....I dont mind giving away freebies to fellow reefers.

Okay...but I dont have a calc or kalk reactor thingy yet...

What can I dose?

There are two products that I would recommend....well ok, 3 products.

The first two are a two part calcium and alkalinity supplement that you dose directly to the tank in a high flow area. The two brands that I would suggest is B-Ionic or Oceans Blend.....both are comparable but IMO/IME the Oceans Blend is cheaper and lasts longer. Calcium and Kalk reactors just make life a little easier because you dont have to dose.

You could also talk to Joe (or others in your club) and have them help you set up a drip system for dosing kalkwasser. This would do a couple things....keep your calcium up, keep your PH up and not have a night day swing, and also keep your alk up. Kalkwasser also helps precipitate phosphate and will help your skimmer pull it from the water

Good good, we're on the same track then. Sounds like a plan!

If we are on the same track......I hope we are going the same direction

Nice nice. Maybe I could send him an email for starters. I'll do that when the time comes closer. Ohh now I'm excited.

Im sure Serdar will be more than willing to answer any questions you have. Its good to see you excited about the tank again....I know its been a rough road.

I am Princess Ball Valve! *giggles*

Okay so if Del's the Captain, and I'm the Princess, who are you?!

Prince Ball Valve?:88)

[hr width='40%']
Now who will be the one to dry my tears?
Who will be the one to chase away my fears?
Your love was like a guiding light
That kept me safe all day, all night.
Without you here in my life
I'm scared, I'm lost. Nothing is right

Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
I really like Serdar...hes a good guy with strong business ethics. Let me know when you are ready to order and ill get you that promo code Oh, and yes....he does sometimes give out free t-shirts. I have 3

ROFL! I'll let you know when I'm ready. *thinks* Oh oh I remember, there was that thread, where you won the thing at the meeting, and you asked for black or something.

quote]You will be able to get a good design/aquascape going in the bowfront.....You will just have to keep arranging it till you are happy with it

You can use your creativity on future tanks also. There will be plenty to set up![

Yeah, the bowfront does have a really cool aquascaping potential. It'll take many hours of playing around but heck, that's what I'm used to so who cares. I feel like my tank has no room.

Yep, this is just my practice tank. I've got so many planned out already for years to come.

I dont think you will have a problem with things not doing well. Its all about watching water quality, lighting and flow....I think you have those covered pretty well.

Well I've got lights and flow covered...lets see if I can handle water quality. I've got test kits for everything I think...I'm still scared though. No SPS till at least August anyway though...

There are no other Nates in the club I dont like the blue background either, but he bought the tank that way. I would much rather have a black acrylic background...oh well, its not my tank.

Well it was worth a shot! I'm the only Liana in my club too. Actually, I'm the only Liana I know. Yeah, the blue looks okay for FO tanks, but I dont like it for reef. It doesn't look natural enough IMO...how come he doesn't have it covered w/ coralline anyway? SPS sucking up too much calcium for that?

Yup I know....only difference is that you have total control over the stocking list. Your family has to like the list or its a no go

Lol, well I'm sure they'll like everything you suggest. This tank isn't really about the fish anyway. I can't wait to hear some of your ideas.

Liana? Can you do me a favor? SLAP him for me.....and make sure its a nice and hard one Man, I hope I never get my water too clean

Nate? Want to pay for the rest of my reef tank so that I still have money after I get fired for slapping him? If the answer is yes, then sure! I'll even slap him with a koi, his favorite. We always joke with him that he has a koi tattoo on his butt...he gets angry at us.

Keep calcium and alk up and it wont take long at all

Okay...but I dont have a calc or kalk reactor thingy yet...

What can I dose?

Yup, I follow.......and thats usually how I do it. I just make sure the water has been circulating for 24 hours and that its up to temp then I go to town

Good good, we're on the same track then. Sounds like a plan!

Serdar normally has a good quantity of live rock in stock.....if not, most rock supplies come into LA on a thursday and are shipped out ASAP...it wont take long for you to get it.

Nice nice. Maybe I could send him an email for starters. I'll do that when the time comes closer. Ohh now I'm excited.

*dances*

I am Princess Ball Valve! *giggles*

Okay so if Del's the Captain, and I'm the Princess, who are you?!

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
that your kiss might kill me.
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
I probably will most likely go with Serdar, just because he's the only one I'm familiar with, and I know how loyal he is to his customers. Since he'll be willing to work with me, he's got my order. I'll tell you when ordering time gets closer. Does he give out free tee shirts?!

I really like Serdar...hes a good guy with strong business ethics. Let me know when you are ready to order and ill get you that promo code Oh, and yes....he does sometimes give out free t-shirts. I have 3

Yeah...I guess that's true. I'm pretty limited on space too, so that's going to effect how I a-scape. It just would be cool to have something a little different instead of the solid line of rock going across. >.< We'll see...maybe I'll get into a creative mood and do something neat. Or maybe my creativity will have to wait for a future tank.

You will be able to get a good design/aquascape going in the bowfront.....You will just have to keep arranging it till you are happy with it

You can use your creativity on future tanks also. There will be plenty to set up!

Yeah yeah. I love it too much to give it up...it's just a matter of if I can stick w/ SPS or not. >.< I know I'll get discouraged if my acros dont do well.

I dont think you will have a problem with things not doing well. Its all about watching water quality, lighting and flow....I think you have those covered pretty well.

! You should be like, "No, the other Nate helped him." Haha, I dont really like blue backgrounds either. I just want to throw like another hundred pounds of rock in his tank. Maybe it's just me, but it seems too bare...but I do love the CBB!

There are no other Nates in the club I dont like the blue background either, but he bought the tank that way. I would much rather have a black acrylic background...oh well, its not my tank.

LOL! Works for me! I already started your stocking list in the other thread.

Yup I know....only difference is that you have total control over the stocking list. Your family has to like the list or its a no go

Oh Nate, you have NO idea. You know what he told me the other day? I asked him how come we never get Tridacnids...and he stared at me. So I said, "Why dont we ever get in clams?" And his response? "Our water is too clean for them. They like really dirty water because they're filter feeders." Hmmm...okay. Water is too clean for them? I dont really understand that....but whatever

Liana? Can you do me a favor? SLAP him for me.....and make sure its a nice and hard one Man, I hope I never get my water too clean

Yeah. It def. looks better than a regular background does. Much cleaner and flatter looking. I'm glad I decided to paint it. It was well worth the time. It's amazing how easily it scratches off though. I just hope it wont take too long for coralline to cover it

Keep calcium and alk up and it wont take long at all

Yes. Well can't I just mix the initial batch of saltwater in the tank and have it go for at least 24 hours, and then add rock? Because that way I dont have to add dechlor, so the skimmer wont flip out. Do you follow?

Yup, I follow.......and thats usually how I do it. I just make sure the water has been circulating for 24 hours and that its up to temp then I go to town

Hmm...well that's a comforting thought...because I really wasn't looking forward to mixing a whole bunch of batches...I've gotta make like 100 gallons worth. That's not much to you, but it's much to me! Dad was going to get some big Brute trash cans or something for mixing, but if we can mix it in the main display than I can just do that, and used the 25/30 gallon containers for WC's. I love it when things come together so nicely. I hope that Serdar can get my rock to me on a convenient date. Things will start coming together once all these friggen AP exams are over. I just want to be able to keep something other than dust bunnies in the tank. It's really getting to me...I've had it for almost...*counts*...5 months now. *sigh* And I knew all those ball valves would come in handy! Now it's going to be really easy to play with the flow. Oh Del is such an inspiration. *tear tear* !!

I always do new tanks like that...just make sure you add the salt slowly and that the salinity is stable before you add your rock.

Serdar normally has a good quantity of live rock in stock.....if not, most rock supplies come into LA on a thursday and are shipped out ASAP...it wont take long for you to get it.

Oh and for ball valves

[hr width='40%']
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
I probably will most likely go with Serdar, just because he's the only one I'm familiar with, and I know how loyal he is to his customers. Since he'll be willing to work with me, he's got my order. I'll tell you when ordering time gets closer. Does he give out free tee shirts?!

Even if it is a "normal" slice of the reef, its still a slice and thats what counts. Aquascaping is generally pretty simple...keep the rock off the back wall if possible, and make it appealing to you. After all, you are the one that is going to be looking at it. Oh, and once the SPS start growing.....you wont be able to see much of the rock anyway

Yeah...I guess that's true. I'm pretty limited on space too, so that's going to effect how I a-scape. It just would be cool to have something a little different instead of the solid line of rock going across. >.< We'll see...maybe I'll get into a creative mood and do something neat. Or maybe my creativity will have to wait for a future tank.

What are you talking about!!! You better stick with it! you havent came this far for nothing....time to put that research and knowledge to use!

Yeah yeah. I love it too much to give it up...it's just a matter of if I can stick w/ SPS or not. >.< I know I'll get discouraged if my acros dont do well.

If the new tank was done being built Id snap some pictures for you I think there are some diagram in coral prop that show the "pegs". I believe its around page 19....or somewhere in that area.

I'll have to take a look at it on my way to work today. You've sparked my interest.

He does that too! The sad thing is Ive had people ask me to help them aquascape their tank like his I just dont understand it

And yes, his CBB is awesome...its probably one of the best looking and most healthy CBB's that I have seen. Must be that PE Mysis

! You should be like, "No, the other Nate helped him." Haha, I dont really like blue backgrounds either. I just want to throw like another hundred pounds of rock in his tank. Maybe it's just me, but it seems too bare...but I do love the CBB!

No problem......you stock mine, and Ill stock yours Ill put together a list of fish that I think you and your family would enjoy..and also ones that are easy to take care of for when you are away from home, or after you go to college.

LOL! Works for me! I already started your stocking list in the other thread.

Hes a smart one isnt he?

Oh Nate, you have NO idea. You know what he told me the other day? I asked him how come we never get Tridacnids...and he stared at me. So I said, "Why dont we ever get in clams?" And his response? "Our water is too clean for them. They like really dirty water because they're filter feeders." Hmmm...okay. Water is too clean for them? I dont really understand that....but whatever.

I figured it would take a lot of coats to get good coverage....but it looks better and holds up better than a regular background.

Yeah. It def. looks better than a regular background does. Much cleaner and flatter looking. I'm glad I decided to paint it. It was well worth the time. It's amazing how easily it scratches off though. I just hope it wont take too long for coralline to cover it.

Just remember...dechlorinater WILL cause your skimmer to foam excessively! Its not a dry foam either.....its nice and wet and can make a mess rather quickly. Letting the water sit with an airstone and a heater would be better IMO...that way you can still run your skimmer when your rock is curing.

Yes. Well can't I just mix the initial batch of saltwater in the tank and have it go for at least 24 hours, and then add rock? Because that way I dont have to add dechlor, so the skimmer wont flip out. Do you follow?

Ive always mixed my first batch of water in the tank and have used tap water for the initial fill. Its not going to hurt anything. You just need to slowly add the salt so that you dont get salt settling on the sand and sitting there. Also, without rock in the tank I would cut your return pump down and aim the return nozzles from your super squirt ( ) so your sand doesnt blow around and cause a sand storm. You will probably be a bit cloudy from the sand until you add rock and get a bacteria colony going to hold the sand down/together.

Hmm...well that's a comforting thought...because I really wasn't looking forward to mixing a whole bunch of batches...I've gotta make like 100 gallons worth. That's not much to you, but it's much to me! Dad was going to get some big Brute trash cans or something for mixing, but if we can mix it in the main display than I can just do that, and used the 25/30 gallon containers for WC's. I love it when things come together so nicely. I hope that Serdar can get my rock to me on a convenient date. Things will start coming together once all these friggen AP exams are over. I just want to be able to keep something other than dust bunnies in the tank. ] It's really getting to me...I've had it for almost...*counts*...5 months now. *sigh* And I knew all those ball valves would come in handy! Now it's going to be really easy to play with the flow. Oh Del is such an inspiration. *tear tear* !!

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
That's what it seems like...I'll prolly just end up going with Fiji b/c it's the cheapest and most readily available. I thought that Serdar would really work with me so that I got exactly what I wanted, but I'm not even sure what I want. I dont know what to ask for! It's...weird.

If you tell Serdar what size tank you have (and that its bowfront) he will most likely be able to pick out some pieces for you that will make aquascaping easy. If you decide to go with Serdar let me know. I have a "promo code" that can only be used once and I wont use it by the end of June when it expires

I did I did, but it didn't get me anywhere! Actually I think I read it twice too. I feel like I HAVE to pick my centerpiece fish before I a-scape...I know I'm just going to end up with a normal "slice of reef" in the long run, I dont know why I'm even bothering.

Even if it is a "normal" slice of the reef, its still a slice and thats what counts. Aquascaping is generally pretty simple...keep the rock off the back wall if possible, and make it appealing to you. After all, you are the one that is going to be looking at it. Oh, and once the SPS start growing.....you wont be able to see much of the rock anyway

Yeah I guess...lets see if I stick with it though

What are you talking about!!! You better stick with it!] you havent came this far for nothing....time to put that research and knowledge to use!

Hmm...that's something to think about...kind of hard for me to picture though, I need visuals. Maybe when I'm in a better mood I'll think about that a little more.

If the new tank was done being built Id snap some pictures for you I think there are some diagram in coral prop that show the "pegs". I believe its around page 19....or somewhere in that area.

*dies laughing* "Oh, and NATE helped me make this BEAUTIFUL rocky arch..."

You have to admit though, he does have one of the nicest CBB you'll ever see.

He does that too! The sad thing is Ive had people ask me to help them aquascape their tank like his I just dont understand it

And yes, his CBB is awesome...its probably one of the best looking and most healthy CBB's that I have seen. Must be that PE Mysis

I guess so...I cant add fish for awhile anyway, gotta get the pod populations up and whatnot...can you make a couple suggestions though? I have entirely no idea what I want in my tank anymore...I've focused so much on the corals I guess. >.< Which isn't a bad thing, but I do want shishies too...in this tank at least.

No problem......you stock mine, and Ill stock yours Ill put together a list of fish that I think you and your family would enjoy..and also ones that are easy to take care of for when you are away from home, or after you go to college.

Oh, and believe me I know, my boss decides to put a lemon peel in the reef tank...Well, bye bye brain corals...

We had fun getting that one out...trust me I've been there done that too

Hes a smart one isnt he?

Yes, getting closer...but still so far, or so it seems. We had to do a LOT of layers. It was a waiting game really. Paint, let dry. Repeat. 3x,4x,5x Looks good now though. And I left the overflow unpainted b/c I like to be able to see into it. I dont know why, it was just something that would have bothered me otherwise.

I figured it would take a lot of coats to get good coverage....but it looks better and holds up better than a regular background.

Now about dechlor...

Yeah, eventually I'll be on an RO/DI unit, but that'll have to wait for funds to come in.

Understandable.....funds are always important when making a purchase

I dont think the LR will be added within the first 48 hours of the tank being filled with saltwater anyway, so I'm not really worried. I'll grab some Prime for top offs though.

Just remember...dechlorinater WILL cause your skimmer to foam excessively! Its not a dry foam either.....its nice and wet and can make a mess rather quickly. Letting the water sit with an airstone and a heater would be better IMO...that way you can still run your skimmer when your rock is curing.

I thought I wasn't...well, I guess, "allowed" to mix my first giant initial batch in the tank...

Ive always mixed my first batch of water in the tank and have used tap water for the initial fill. Its not going to hurt anything. You just need to slowly add the salt so that you dont get salt settling on the sand and sitting there. Also, without rock in the tank I would cut your return pump down and aim the return nozzles from your super squirt ( ) so your sand doesnt blow around and cause a sand storm. You will probably be a bit cloudy from the sand until you add rock and get a bacteria colony going to hold the sand down/together.

[hr width='40%']

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Most of the rock available is very porous and there usually isnt much difference in it other than where it came from and some of the different critters that come in on it.

That's what it seems like...I'll prolly just end up going with Fiji b/c it's the cheapest and most readily available. I thought that Serdar would really work with me so that I got exactly what I wanted, but I'm not even sure what I want. I dont know what to ask for! It's...weird.

Depending on the rock, I would probably just go with 1lb per gallon to start....then hit the LFS and cherry pick specific pieces that you want to finish off your aquascaping.

Yeah, that was the idea. I think that's the best way to do it.

There are plenty of things that you can do to be different....have a look in Coral Prop, page 19 and start reading there.

I did I did, but it didn't get me anywhere! Actually I think I read it twice too. I feel like I HAVE to pick my centerpiece fish before I a-scape...I know I'm just going to end up with a normal "slice of reef" in the long run, I dont know why I'm even bothering.

a) You are brave enough...you have to be! After all, you did venture to the Dark side

Yeah I guess...lets see if I stick with it though.

b)Use your imagination.....be creative like you were on the stand Ok, Ill give out one of my little secrets that Im doing in the new tank....silicone or epoxy small shelves on the tank walls/back...then mount frags to them and let them go to town. Im hoping for a nice 3D look to make the tank more interesting.

Hmm...that's something to think about...kind of hard for me to picture though, I need visuals. Maybe when I'm in a better mood I'll think about that a little more.

I hate it that he tells everyone that I aquascaped it for him! oh well, I only did what I was told...but its def. not the look that I would want in my tank.

*dies laughing* "Oh, and NATE helped me make this BEAUTIFUL rocky arch..."

You have to admit though, he does have one of the nicest CBB you'll ever see.

Just go slow....if you dont know what fish you want as your centerpiece then dont add fish yet...get the tank up and running and start stocking corals. Fish can wait till you know exactly what you want, because if you stock it and change your mind its hell getting a fish out without taking all the rock out! (yes, personal experience talking )

I guess so...I cant add fish for awhile anyway, gotta get the pod populations up and whatnot...can you make a couple suggestions though? I have entirely no idea what I want in my tank anymore...I've focused so much on the corals I guess. >.< Which isn't a bad thing, but I do want shishies too...in this tank at least.

Oh, and believe me I know, my boss decides to put a lemon peel in the reef tank...Well, bye bye brain corals...

We had fun getting that one out...trust me I've been there done that too.

Very good! See, its getting closer! How did the painting of the back work out?

Yes, getting closer...but still so far, or so it seems. We had to do a LOT of layers. It was a waiting game really. Paint, let dry. Repeat. 3x,4x,5x Looks good now though. And I left the overflow unpainted b/c I like to be able to see into it. I dont know why, it was just something that would have bothered me otherwise.

Now about dechlor...

Yeah, eventually I'll be on an RO/DI unit, but that'll have to wait for funds to come in.

I dont think the LR will be added within the first 48 hours of the tank being filled with saltwater anyway, so I'm not really worried. I'll grab some Prime for top offs though.

I thought I wasn't...well, I guess, "allowed" to mix my first giant initial batch in the tank...

*posted out at this point*

More later...

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
So now...what type of rock, how much, and from where.

Most of the rock available is very porous and there usually isnt much difference in it other than where it came from and some of the different critters that come in on it.

I recommend [link=Phishybusiness]http://www.phishybusiness.com" style="COLOR: #FF0000[/link] or [link=Reefermadness]http://www.reefermadness.us" style="COLOR: #FF0000[/link]. Both Serdar and Chris are very helpful and will make sure you get the rock that you want. I bet they will even pick out specific sizes and shapes if you ask them too What type of rock depends on where you want to get it from...Reefermadness has very good prices on Fiji, but Phishybusiness has rock from places that nobody else carries.

Depending on the rock, I would probably just go with 1lb per gallon to start....then hit the LFS and cherry pick specific pieces that you want to finish off your aquascaping.

What structure do I want?!

Calfo made me really concentrate at the conference (ohh, that's tough to say!) on trying to get away from the traditional tank. He's seen so many of the same exact thing, it would be nice to try some different. But,
a) I dont know if I'm that brave
b) I dont know what else I could do!

There are plenty of things that you can do to be different....have a look in Coral Prop, page 19 and start reading there.

a) You are brave enough...you have to be! After all, you did venture to the Dark side

b)Use your imagination.....be creative like you were on the stand Ok, Ill give out one of my little secrets that Im doing in the new tank....silicone or epoxy small shelves on the tank walls/back...then mount frags to them and let them go to town. Im hoping for a nice 3D look to make the tank more interesting.

I dont like the archy look that Kip has, his tank is too bare IMO.
Calfo said to concentrate on picking that one perfect fish, and arrange the tank based on their natural niche or habitat or whatnot. So that's what I want to do...except I dont know what fish to base it on. I've gotta pick that prized centerpiece fish I guess...I'm in love with many Anthias as you know, but I dont think I have a big enough tank to keep them nicely. And I like 6-lines...but a 3" fish wont really be the focal point of my tank...and I like CBB but just for Aiptasia control...and I like dartfish, but they're tiny too, and they just look cool...and I dont think my family will let me have a reef tank w/ some sort of anenomefish...I like the pink skunk. *sigh* Why is this so hard?

I hate it that he tells everyone that I aquascaped it for him! oh well, I only did what I was told...but its def. not the look that I would want in my tank.

Just go slow....if you dont know what fish you want as your centerpiece then dont add fish yet...get the tank up and running and start stocking corals. Fish can wait till you know exactly what you want, because if you stock it and change your mind its hell getting a fish out without taking all the rock out! (yes, personal experience talking )

Side note...we painted the back of the tank. The whole thing has been up and running (with freshwater, for leak tests) for over 48 hours now. We're doing pretty good.

Very good! See, its getting closer! How did the painting of the back work out?

Question---what do you do to your tanks as far as dechlorinating is concerned...?

Im assuming that you are talking about your initial fill using tap water? On initial fill I usually just let the water sit with the pumps running to keep circulation high.....after 24 hours you dont have to worry about it anymore. I have been known to use some Prime to dechlorinate if I was in a hurry to get salt mixed and get the tank going.

If you plan on adding salt to the water in thats in the tank now you will be fine. Just add it slowly or you will get a nice carbonate deposit on your heater Add salt mix till you get it to where you want the salinity to be, then let it set with the pumps going for a day then test again and adjust accordingly.

If you are using all ro or ro/di water.....you dont have to worry about dechlorinating ever.

I know I had more things I was wondering about, but I forget...so I'll prolly post again on this soon. *has too much on her mind*

I always forget things too if I dont write them down or record them on the phone when I think of them. Post when you remember what they were.....its not like Im going anywhere

[hr width='40%']

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Sounds good, that's almost def. what I'll do then.

So now...what type of rock, how much, and from where. Ugg...

I think I'll go with a big mail order at first, and then browse LFS' for smaller pieces to complete the structure I want.

What structure do I want?!

Calfo made me really concentrate at the conference (ohh, that's tough to say!) on trying to get away from the traditional tank. He's seen so many of the same exact thing, it would be nice to try some different. But,
a) I dont know if I'm that brave
b) I dont know what else I could do!
I dont like the archy look that Kip has, his tank is too bare IMO.
Calfo said to concentrate on picking that one perfect fish, and arrange the tank based on their natural niche or habitat or whatnot. So that's what I want to do...except I dont know what fish to base it on. I've gotta pick that prized centerpiece fish I guess...I'm in love with many Anthias as you know, but I dont think I have a big enough tank to keep them nicely. And I like 6-lines...but a 3" fish wont really be the focal point of my tank...and I like CBB but just for Aiptasia control...and I like dartfish, but they're tiny too, and they just look cool...and I dont think my family will let me have a reef tank w/ some sort of anenomefish...I like the pink skunk. *sigh* Why is this so hard?

Side note...we painted the back of the tank. The whole thing has been up and running (with freshwater, for leak tests) for over 48 hours now. We're doing pretty good.

Question---what do you do to your tanks as far as dechlorinating is concerned...?

I know I had more things I was wondering about, but I forget...so I'll prolly post again on this soon. *has too much on her mind*

STUPID AP EXAMS ]:|

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
What are your thoughts on throwing in some LR without having my lights yet.

I know it can be done but i'm kinda sketchy about it...I just want this tank filled

You will be fine with throwing rock in without any light over the tank. The coraline will die off but it will come back once light is over the tank.

Just keep testing and keep up on water changes if the ammonia and nitrite get to high....save all the little critters you can.

[hr width='40%']
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Thankies.

Things are slowly falling into place. It's getting there.

The tanks been running for 2 days with freshwater. We've been doing leak checks and whatnot.

I'd like to pick up a decent amount of TM this weekend...and we have sand already.

What are your thoughts on throwing in some LR without having my lights yet.

I know it can be done but i'm kinda sketchy about it...I just want this tank filled.

I know I know...in a reef tank only bad things happen quickly.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Looking good Liana.....once again, great job on being VERY creative

I think the design will work well for the tank and I'm sure you will be happy with it. Im glad its finally starting to come together for you!

[hr width='40%']
I lay here in my bed and dream of you
Hoping you are dreaming of me too...
Someday the miles will be less and we will dream together
Your heart and mine Always and Forever...
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Okey dokey, did some tank work today, so here's some piccies.

I might have to resize these later, but no time now. I have no idea how big they're going to be.

This first picture is the modified stand w/ the sump tank in it too. The sump tank is a 30 gallon long I believe, and you can sort of see the divider we made. (Better pic of that later) It shows how well everything fits.

This next picture is without the sump, so you can really see the woodwork. All the pine is the stuff we added on, anything black was the original.

This third picture is just the sump tank. We used lexan to divide the tank into two parts. The smaller part is going to be used as a sump. There will be no substrate, and it'll be used strictly for equipment. The other side is the fuge side, and it can be used for vegetable filtration, or basically whatever I need it for. The divider also helps calm the overflow pipe so there's no tidal waves.

That's all for now, I'll add some more later if I find the time.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
If genies were real and wishes came true, I’d rub the bottle and be holding you,
I’d close my eyes, wish upon a star, open my eyes, and there you are…
[/font][/font][/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
More pictures? Cant wait to see updates.

[hr width='40%']
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
See, with a little creative thinking everything worked out....you did all that worrying and brick throwing for nothing!

Meh. I guess so. It still technically doesn't "work" yet, so we dont know for sure.

Tell me about it...when I was plumbing up the 180 I made 15 trips to HD. I would make a list, and add extra parts on top of the ones that I needed and I still ended up going back I think I spent more on gas than I did on the plumbing!

Ditto! I think it's unavoidable...and with the cost of gas these days, I wouldn't be surprised if we actually did spend more on gas.

Ah, one other thing that I noticed....the strainer on the end of your Durso standpipe isnt really needed. My experience with them is that they tend to start growing algae on them and they either clog or the flow slows down..way down. The way the overflow is set up you shouldnt have to worry about fish or snails getting back there so IMO and IME its not needed. Just thought I'd point that out so you could make the decision while its easier to get to.

Hmm. Didn't think of that. The strainer is kind of, um, how do I describe it...it's very open? I guess? So it doesn't seem like it'd clog too easy, but I'll take it off anyways because there's really not a point to having it there. Smart thinking.

Pictures will be up soon.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
If genies were real and wishes came true, I’d rub the bottle and be holding you,
I’d close my eyes, wish upon a star, open my eyes, and there you are…
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
I also want to share the DIY canopy, or skirt rather, that we built together. We had to build our own because Oceanic/AGA/Perfecto all those companies haven't put the wooden canopies for bowfronts on the market yet. Plus, using MH and weird circulation units always provides issues for design. Another thing that contributed to our design was my height. With the skirt on (which is 10" tall) the whole set up is exactly my height. So we made special removable panels for daily feedings and small maintenance. This way the whole canopy doesn't need to come off for a quick task.

Very cool, cant wait to see pics of it on the tank

I will ALSO share the way we modified the stand. This had two purposes, which I think I already stated. Reinforcement, for one thing, and because of the bowfront design there wasn't much room under the stand for a sump. So we knocked out some braces and made our own, and extended the whole thing a couple of inches. Now, we can comfortably fit a 100 gallon system within 4 feet of space. Plus, this allowed us to raise the skimmer to the proper height.

Aquarists are some of the most creative people around. I have to say, this hobby always keeps you on yours toes.

See, with a little creative thinking everything worked out....you did all that worrying and brick throwing for nothing!

Another thing I'm learning from this whole project: It's impossible to make less than 3 trips to Home Depot while plumbing a new tank. No matter how well you plan, no matter how many lists you write, you will always have to return. Several times that is.

Tell me about it...when I was plumbing up the 180 I made 15 trips to HD. I would make a list, and add extra parts on top of the ones that I needed and I still ended up going back I think I spent more on gas than I did on the plumbing!

Ah, one other thing that I noticed....the strainer on the end of your Durso standpipe isnt really needed. My experience with them is that they tend to start growing algae on them and they either clog or the flow slows down..way down. The way the overflow is set up you shouldnt have to worry about fish or snails getting back there so IMO and IME its not needed. Just thought I'd point that out so you could make the decision while its easier to get to.

[hr width='40%']

Last edited by DarkRealm Overlord at 27-Apr-2005 20:17
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Thanks. I'm pretty sure we modified the top a bit since that picture was taken, but my Dad is playing with it down in the basement so I can't grab another updated pic for a couple of days. Not to mention he's got the camera 6 hours away at our other house.

I also want to share the DIY canopy, or skirt rather, that we built together. We had to build our own because Oceanic/AGA/Perfecto all those companies haven't put the wooden canopies for bowfronts on the market yet. Plus, using MH and weird circulation units always provides issues for design. Another thing that contributed to our design was my height. With the skirt on (which is 10" tall) the whole set up is exactly my height. So we made special removable panels for daily feedings and small maintenance. This way the whole canopy doesn't need to come off for a quick task.

I will ALSO share the way we modified the stand. This had two purposes, which I think I already stated. Reinforcement, for one thing, and because of the bowfront design there wasn't much room under the stand for a sump. So we knocked out some braces and made our own, and extended the whole thing a couple of inches. Now, we can comfortably fit a 100 gallon system within 4 feet of space. Plus, this allowed us to raise the skimmer to the proper height.

Aquarists are some of the most creative people around. I have to say, this hobby always keeps you on yours toes.

Another thing I'm learning from this whole project: It's impossible to make less than 3 trips to Home Depot while plumbing a new tank. No matter how well you plan, no matter how many lists you write, you will always have to return. Several times that is.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
Life’s tough,
Get a helmet.
[/font]

dthurs
---------------
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4170
Votes: 529
male usa
Very nice job on the plumbing.

Dan

Dan
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
I'm still considering them, they aren't totally out of the question. The one I've been considering lately is the combo MH/T5. It's got two 250 watt halides, and the T5's in the front and back. It's a nice price too.

Many phone calls between my Dad and Paul, and some help from the reef club led up to the plumbing. They all understood it, I really didn't have to touch any of it. I just said what I wanted, and BOOM! it was done. I'm happy with it.

We've had water running through the tank to test the plumbing, but the pump for the OM was on backorder, and when it came in finally it was damaged. So we had to ship it back and actually it shold be arriving today. Then we can make more modifications if necessary.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
Life’s tough,
Get a helmet.
[/font]

Last edited by Ferretfish at 25-Apr-2005 12:47

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Been working on my new tank a lot lately.

Updates:

72 gallon RR bowfront

30 gallon sump/refugium (1/3 sump, 2/3's fuge)

AquaC EV protein skimmer w/ mag 5, sitting outside the sump on a removable shelf

mag 12 on the return

Oceans Motions 4 way super squirt w/ Iwaki (PanWorld? It didn't come yet and I cant remember) pump, alternating sequences---Got a ball valve on each for complete control, and lockline tubing on the end of each pipe. I was originally going to go with the 4 way, but after many calls to Paul from OM I learned that I could easily get away with the super squirt.

Modified stand, in order to fit the sump and to reinforce it, and DIY canopy

Several hundred pounds of Southdown sand in my garage, just waiting

Heaters, test kits, hydrometers, refractometers, the usual deal...

Lights- undecided, and I'll tell you guys why. Originally I was going to do an Aquamedic strip fixture. But many in my reef club pointed out that if something goes wrong, the whole thing needs to be sent back for repair, so I'll suddenly be left with NO lights. But I really dont like pendants...so I'm still deciding.

I attended the NERAC conference on the 16th and 17th. Met all the favorites, Anthony Calfo, Scott W. Michael, etc. And I've got a great reef club helping me out.

So any input appreciated, I just thought I'd update as I haven't posted in awhile.

Pics:

and...

So...comments, questions, concerns, whatever. All appreciated.

-Ferret

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
Life’s tough,
Get a helmet.
[/font][/font]

# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies