Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeOperation...Plumbing
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
Kudos: 2166
male usa us-colorado
I probably will most likely go with Serdar, just because he's the only one I'm familiar with, and I know how loyal he is to his customers. Since he'll be willing to work with me, he's got my order. I'll tell you when ordering time gets closer. Does he give out free tee shirts?!

I really like Serdar...hes a good guy with strong business ethics. Let me know when you are ready to order and ill get you that promo code Oh, and yes....he does sometimes give out free t-shirts. I have 3

Yeah...I guess that's true. I'm pretty limited on space too, so that's going to effect how I a-scape. It just would be cool to have something a little different instead of the solid line of rock going across. >.< We'll see...maybe I'll get into a creative mood and do something neat. Or maybe my creativity will have to wait for a future tank.

You will be able to get a good design/aquascape going in the bowfront.....You will just have to keep arranging it till you are happy with it

You can use your creativity on future tanks also. There will be plenty to set up!

Yeah yeah. I love it too much to give it up...it's just a matter of if I can stick w/ SPS or not. >.< I know I'll get discouraged if my acros dont do well.

I dont think you will have a problem with things not doing well. Its all about watching water quality, lighting and flow....I think you have those covered pretty well.

! You should be like, "No, the other Nate helped him." Haha, I dont really like blue backgrounds either. I just want to throw like another hundred pounds of rock in his tank. Maybe it's just me, but it seems too bare...but I do love the CBB!

There are no other Nates in the club I dont like the blue background either, but he bought the tank that way. I would much rather have a black acrylic background...oh well, its not my tank.

LOL! Works for me! I already started your stocking list in the other thread.

Yup I know....only difference is that you have total control over the stocking list. Your family has to like the list or its a no go

Oh Nate, you have NO idea. You know what he told me the other day? I asked him how come we never get Tridacnids...and he stared at me. So I said, "Why dont we ever get in clams?" And his response? "Our water is too clean for them. They like really dirty water because they're filter feeders." Hmmm...okay. Water is too clean for them? I dont really understand that....but whatever

Liana? Can you do me a favor? SLAP him for me.....and make sure its a nice and hard one Man, I hope I never get my water too clean

Yeah. It def. looks better than a regular background does. Much cleaner and flatter looking. I'm glad I decided to paint it. It was well worth the time. It's amazing how easily it scratches off though. I just hope it wont take too long for coralline to cover it

Keep calcium and alk up and it wont take long at all

Yes. Well can't I just mix the initial batch of saltwater in the tank and have it go for at least 24 hours, and then add rock? Because that way I dont have to add dechlor, so the skimmer wont flip out. Do you follow?

Yup, I follow.......and thats usually how I do it. I just make sure the water has been circulating for 24 hours and that its up to temp then I go to town

Hmm...well that's a comforting thought...because I really wasn't looking forward to mixing a whole bunch of batches...I've gotta make like 100 gallons worth. That's not much to you, but it's much to me! Dad was going to get some big Brute trash cans or something for mixing, but if we can mix it in the main display than I can just do that, and used the 25/30 gallon containers for WC's. I love it when things come together so nicely. I hope that Serdar can get my rock to me on a convenient date. Things will start coming together once all these friggen AP exams are over. I just want to be able to keep something other than dust bunnies in the tank. It's really getting to me...I've had it for almost...*counts*...5 months now. *sigh* And I knew all those ball valves would come in handy! Now it's going to be really easy to play with the flow. Oh Del is such an inspiration. *tear tear* !!

I always do new tanks like that...just make sure you add the salt slowly and that the salinity is stable before you add your rock.

Serdar normally has a good quantity of live rock in stock.....if not, most rock supplies come into LA on a thursday and are shipped out ASAP...it wont take long for you to get it.

Oh and for ball valves

[hr width='40%']
Now who will be the one to dry my tears?
Who will be the one to chase away my fears?
Your love was like a guiding light
That kept me safe all day, all night.
Without you here in my life
I'm scared, I'm lost. Nothing is right
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
I probably will most likely go with Serdar, just because he's the only one I'm familiar with, and I know how loyal he is to his customers. Since he'll be willing to work with me, he's got my order. I'll tell you when ordering time gets closer. Does he give out free tee shirts?!

Even if it is a "normal" slice of the reef, its still a slice and thats what counts. Aquascaping is generally pretty simple...keep the rock off the back wall if possible, and make it appealing to you. After all, you are the one that is going to be looking at it. Oh, and once the SPS start growing.....you wont be able to see much of the rock anyway

Yeah...I guess that's true. I'm pretty limited on space too, so that's going to effect how I a-scape. It just would be cool to have something a little different instead of the solid line of rock going across. >.< We'll see...maybe I'll get into a creative mood and do something neat. Or maybe my creativity will have to wait for a future tank.

What are you talking about!!! You better stick with it! you havent came this far for nothing....time to put that research and knowledge to use!

Yeah yeah. I love it too much to give it up...it's just a matter of if I can stick w/ SPS or not. >.< I know I'll get discouraged if my acros dont do well.

If the new tank was done being built Id snap some pictures for you I think there are some diagram in coral prop that show the "pegs". I believe its around page 19....or somewhere in that area.

I'll have to take a look at it on my way to work today. You've sparked my interest.

He does that too! The sad thing is Ive had people ask me to help them aquascape their tank like his I just dont understand it

And yes, his CBB is awesome...its probably one of the best looking and most healthy CBB's that I have seen. Must be that PE Mysis

! You should be like, "No, the other Nate helped him." Haha, I dont really like blue backgrounds either. I just want to throw like another hundred pounds of rock in his tank. Maybe it's just me, but it seems too bare...but I do love the CBB!

No problem......you stock mine, and Ill stock yours Ill put together a list of fish that I think you and your family would enjoy..and also ones that are easy to take care of for when you are away from home, or after you go to college.

LOL! Works for me! I already started your stocking list in the other thread.

Hes a smart one isnt he?

Oh Nate, you have NO idea. You know what he told me the other day? I asked him how come we never get Tridacnids...and he stared at me. So I said, "Why dont we ever get in clams?" And his response? "Our water is too clean for them. They like really dirty water because they're filter feeders." Hmmm...okay. Water is too clean for them? I dont really understand that....but whatever.

I figured it would take a lot of coats to get good coverage....but it looks better and holds up better than a regular background.

Yeah. It def. looks better than a regular background does. Much cleaner and flatter looking. I'm glad I decided to paint it. It was well worth the time. It's amazing how easily it scratches off though. I just hope it wont take too long for coralline to cover it.

Just remember...dechlorinater WILL cause your skimmer to foam excessively! Its not a dry foam either.....its nice and wet and can make a mess rather quickly. Letting the water sit with an airstone and a heater would be better IMO...that way you can still run your skimmer when your rock is curing.

Yes. Well can't I just mix the initial batch of saltwater in the tank and have it go for at least 24 hours, and then add rock? Because that way I dont have to add dechlor, so the skimmer wont flip out. Do you follow?

Ive always mixed my first batch of water in the tank and have used tap water for the initial fill. Its not going to hurt anything. You just need to slowly add the salt so that you dont get salt settling on the sand and sitting there. Also, without rock in the tank I would cut your return pump down and aim the return nozzles from your super squirt ( ) so your sand doesnt blow around and cause a sand storm. You will probably be a bit cloudy from the sand until you add rock and get a bacteria colony going to hold the sand down/together.

Hmm...well that's a comforting thought...because I really wasn't looking forward to mixing a whole bunch of batches...I've gotta make like 100 gallons worth. That's not much to you, but it's much to me! Dad was going to get some big Brute trash cans or something for mixing, but if we can mix it in the main display than I can just do that, and used the 25/30 gallon containers for WC's. I love it when things come together so nicely. I hope that Serdar can get my rock to me on a convenient date. Things will start coming together once all these friggen AP exams are over. I just want to be able to keep something other than dust bunnies in the tank. ] It's really getting to me...I've had it for almost...*counts*...5 months now. *sigh* And I knew all those ball valves would come in handy! Now it's going to be really easy to play with the flow. Oh Del is such an inspiration. *tear tear* !!

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
that your kiss might kill me.
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
That's what it seems like...I'll prolly just end up going with Fiji b/c it's the cheapest and most readily available. I thought that Serdar would really work with me so that I got exactly what I wanted, but I'm not even sure what I want. I dont know what to ask for! It's...weird.

If you tell Serdar what size tank you have (and that its bowfront) he will most likely be able to pick out some pieces for you that will make aquascaping easy. If you decide to go with Serdar let me know. I have a "promo code" that can only be used once and I wont use it by the end of June when it expires

I did I did, but it didn't get me anywhere! Actually I think I read it twice too. I feel like I HAVE to pick my centerpiece fish before I a-scape...I know I'm just going to end up with a normal "slice of reef" in the long run, I dont know why I'm even bothering.

Even if it is a "normal" slice of the reef, its still a slice and thats what counts. Aquascaping is generally pretty simple...keep the rock off the back wall if possible, and make it appealing to you. After all, you are the one that is going to be looking at it. Oh, and once the SPS start growing.....you wont be able to see much of the rock anyway

Yeah I guess...lets see if I stick with it though

What are you talking about!!! You better stick with it!] you havent came this far for nothing....time to put that research and knowledge to use!

Hmm...that's something to think about...kind of hard for me to picture though, I need visuals. Maybe when I'm in a better mood I'll think about that a little more.

If the new tank was done being built Id snap some pictures for you I think there are some diagram in coral prop that show the "pegs". I believe its around page 19....or somewhere in that area.

*dies laughing* "Oh, and NATE helped me make this BEAUTIFUL rocky arch..."

You have to admit though, he does have one of the nicest CBB you'll ever see.

He does that too! The sad thing is Ive had people ask me to help them aquascape their tank like his I just dont understand it

And yes, his CBB is awesome...its probably one of the best looking and most healthy CBB's that I have seen. Must be that PE Mysis

I guess so...I cant add fish for awhile anyway, gotta get the pod populations up and whatnot...can you make a couple suggestions though? I have entirely no idea what I want in my tank anymore...I've focused so much on the corals I guess. >.< Which isn't a bad thing, but I do want shishies too...in this tank at least.

No problem......you stock mine, and Ill stock yours Ill put together a list of fish that I think you and your family would enjoy..and also ones that are easy to take care of for when you are away from home, or after you go to college.

Oh, and believe me I know, my boss decides to put a lemon peel in the reef tank...Well, bye bye brain corals...

We had fun getting that one out...trust me I've been there done that too

Hes a smart one isnt he?

Yes, getting closer...but still so far, or so it seems. We had to do a LOT of layers. It was a waiting game really. Paint, let dry. Repeat. 3x,4x,5x Looks good now though. And I left the overflow unpainted b/c I like to be able to see into it. I dont know why, it was just something that would have bothered me otherwise.

I figured it would take a lot of coats to get good coverage....but it looks better and holds up better than a regular background.

Now about dechlor...

Yeah, eventually I'll be on an RO/DI unit, but that'll have to wait for funds to come in.

Understandable.....funds are always important when making a purchase

I dont think the LR will be added within the first 48 hours of the tank being filled with saltwater anyway, so I'm not really worried. I'll grab some Prime for top offs though.

Just remember...dechlorinater WILL cause your skimmer to foam excessively! Its not a dry foam either.....its nice and wet and can make a mess rather quickly. Letting the water sit with an airstone and a heater would be better IMO...that way you can still run your skimmer when your rock is curing.

I thought I wasn't...well, I guess, "allowed" to mix my first giant initial batch in the tank...

Ive always mixed my first batch of water in the tank and have used tap water for the initial fill. Its not going to hurt anything. You just need to slowly add the salt so that you dont get salt settling on the sand and sitting there. Also, without rock in the tank I would cut your return pump down and aim the return nozzles from your super squirt ( ) so your sand doesnt blow around and cause a sand storm. You will probably be a bit cloudy from the sand until you add rock and get a bacteria colony going to hold the sand down/together.

[hr width='40%']

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Most of the rock available is very porous and there usually isnt much difference in it other than where it came from and some of the different critters that come in on it.

That's what it seems like...I'll prolly just end up going with Fiji b/c it's the cheapest and most readily available. I thought that Serdar would really work with me so that I got exactly what I wanted, but I'm not even sure what I want. I dont know what to ask for! It's...weird.

Depending on the rock, I would probably just go with 1lb per gallon to start....then hit the LFS and cherry pick specific pieces that you want to finish off your aquascaping.

Yeah, that was the idea. I think that's the best way to do it.

There are plenty of things that you can do to be different....have a look in Coral Prop, page 19 and start reading there.

I did I did, but it didn't get me anywhere! Actually I think I read it twice too. I feel like I HAVE to pick my centerpiece fish before I a-scape...I know I'm just going to end up with a normal "slice of reef" in the long run, I dont know why I'm even bothering.

a) You are brave enough...you have to be! After all, you did venture to the Dark side

Yeah I guess...lets see if I stick with it though.

b)Use your imagination.....be creative like you were on the stand Ok, Ill give out one of my little secrets that Im doing in the new tank....silicone or epoxy small shelves on the tank walls/back...then mount frags to them and let them go to town. Im hoping for a nice 3D look to make the tank more interesting.

Hmm...that's something to think about...kind of hard for me to picture though, I need visuals. Maybe when I'm in a better mood I'll think about that a little more.

I hate it that he tells everyone that I aquascaped it for him! oh well, I only did what I was told...but its def. not the look that I would want in my tank.

*dies laughing* "Oh, and NATE helped me make this BEAUTIFUL rocky arch..."

You have to admit though, he does have one of the nicest CBB you'll ever see.

Just go slow....if you dont know what fish you want as your centerpiece then dont add fish yet...get the tank up and running and start stocking corals. Fish can wait till you know exactly what you want, because if you stock it and change your mind its hell getting a fish out without taking all the rock out! (yes, personal experience talking )

I guess so...I cant add fish for awhile anyway, gotta get the pod populations up and whatnot...can you make a couple suggestions though? I have entirely no idea what I want in my tank anymore...I've focused so much on the corals I guess. >.< Which isn't a bad thing, but I do want shishies too...in this tank at least.

Oh, and believe me I know, my boss decides to put a lemon peel in the reef tank...Well, bye bye brain corals...

We had fun getting that one out...trust me I've been there done that too.

Very good! See, its getting closer! How did the painting of the back work out?

Yes, getting closer...but still so far, or so it seems. We had to do a LOT of layers. It was a waiting game really. Paint, let dry. Repeat. 3x,4x,5x Looks good now though. And I left the overflow unpainted b/c I like to be able to see into it. I dont know why, it was just something that would have bothered me otherwise.

Now about dechlor...

Yeah, eventually I'll be on an RO/DI unit, but that'll have to wait for funds to come in.

I dont think the LR will be added within the first 48 hours of the tank being filled with saltwater anyway, so I'm not really worried. I'll grab some Prime for top offs though.

I thought I wasn't...well, I guess, "allowed" to mix my first giant initial batch in the tank...

*posted out at this point*

More later...

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
So now...what type of rock, how much, and from where.

Most of the rock available is very porous and there usually isnt much difference in it other than where it came from and some of the different critters that come in on it.

I recommend [link=Phishybusiness]http://www.phishybusiness.com" style="COLOR: #FF0000[/link] or [link=Reefermadness]http://www.reefermadness.us" style="COLOR: #FF0000[/link]. Both Serdar and Chris are very helpful and will make sure you get the rock that you want. I bet they will even pick out specific sizes and shapes if you ask them too What type of rock depends on where you want to get it from...Reefermadness has very good prices on Fiji, but Phishybusiness has rock from places that nobody else carries.

Depending on the rock, I would probably just go with 1lb per gallon to start....then hit the LFS and cherry pick specific pieces that you want to finish off your aquascaping.

What structure do I want?!

Calfo made me really concentrate at the conference (ohh, that's tough to say!) on trying to get away from the traditional tank. He's seen so many of the same exact thing, it would be nice to try some different. But,
a) I dont know if I'm that brave
b) I dont know what else I could do!

There are plenty of things that you can do to be different....have a look in Coral Prop, page 19 and start reading there.

a) You are brave enough...you have to be! After all, you did venture to the Dark side

b)Use your imagination.....be creative like you were on the stand Ok, Ill give out one of my little secrets that Im doing in the new tank....silicone or epoxy small shelves on the tank walls/back...then mount frags to them and let them go to town. Im hoping for a nice 3D look to make the tank more interesting.

I dont like the archy look that Kip has, his tank is too bare IMO.
Calfo said to concentrate on picking that one perfect fish, and arrange the tank based on their natural niche or habitat or whatnot. So that's what I want to do...except I dont know what fish to base it on. I've gotta pick that prized centerpiece fish I guess...I'm in love with many Anthias as you know, but I dont think I have a big enough tank to keep them nicely. And I like 6-lines...but a 3" fish wont really be the focal point of my tank...and I like CBB but just for Aiptasia control...and I like dartfish, but they're tiny too, and they just look cool...and I dont think my family will let me have a reef tank w/ some sort of anenomefish...I like the pink skunk. *sigh* Why is this so hard?

I hate it that he tells everyone that I aquascaped it for him! oh well, I only did what I was told...but its def. not the look that I would want in my tank.

Just go slow....if you dont know what fish you want as your centerpiece then dont add fish yet...get the tank up and running and start stocking corals. Fish can wait till you know exactly what you want, because if you stock it and change your mind its hell getting a fish out without taking all the rock out! (yes, personal experience talking )

Side note...we painted the back of the tank. The whole thing has been up and running (with freshwater, for leak tests) for over 48 hours now. We're doing pretty good.

Very good! See, its getting closer! How did the painting of the back work out?

Question---what do you do to your tanks as far as dechlorinating is concerned...?

Im assuming that you are talking about your initial fill using tap water? On initial fill I usually just let the water sit with the pumps running to keep circulation high.....after 24 hours you dont have to worry about it anymore. I have been known to use some Prime to dechlorinate if I was in a hurry to get salt mixed and get the tank going.

If you plan on adding salt to the water in thats in the tank now you will be fine. Just add it slowly or you will get a nice carbonate deposit on your heater Add salt mix till you get it to where you want the salinity to be, then let it set with the pumps going for a day then test again and adjust accordingly.

If you are using all ro or ro/di water.....you dont have to worry about dechlorinating ever.

I know I had more things I was wondering about, but I forget...so I'll prolly post again on this soon. *has too much on her mind*

I always forget things too if I dont write them down or record them on the phone when I think of them. Post when you remember what they were.....its not like Im going anywhere

[hr width='40%']

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Sounds good, that's almost def. what I'll do then.

So now...what type of rock, how much, and from where. Ugg...

I think I'll go with a big mail order at first, and then browse LFS' for smaller pieces to complete the structure I want.

What structure do I want?!

Calfo made me really concentrate at the conference (ohh, that's tough to say!) on trying to get away from the traditional tank. He's seen so many of the same exact thing, it would be nice to try some different. But,
a) I dont know if I'm that brave
b) I dont know what else I could do!
I dont like the archy look that Kip has, his tank is too bare IMO.
Calfo said to concentrate on picking that one perfect fish, and arrange the tank based on their natural niche or habitat or whatnot. So that's what I want to do...except I dont know what fish to base it on. I've gotta pick that prized centerpiece fish I guess...I'm in love with many Anthias as you know, but I dont think I have a big enough tank to keep them nicely. And I like 6-lines...but a 3" fish wont really be the focal point of my tank...and I like CBB but just for Aiptasia control...and I like dartfish, but they're tiny too, and they just look cool...and I dont think my family will let me have a reef tank w/ some sort of anenomefish...I like the pink skunk. *sigh* Why is this so hard?

Side note...we painted the back of the tank. The whole thing has been up and running (with freshwater, for leak tests) for over 48 hours now. We're doing pretty good.

Question---what do you do to your tanks as far as dechlorinating is concerned...?

I know I had more things I was wondering about, but I forget...so I'll prolly post again on this soon. *has too much on her mind*

STUPID AP EXAMS ]:|

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
What are your thoughts on throwing in some LR without having my lights yet.

I know it can be done but i'm kinda sketchy about it...I just want this tank filled

You will be fine with throwing rock in without any light over the tank. The coraline will die off but it will come back once light is over the tank.

Just keep testing and keep up on water changes if the ammonia and nitrite get to high....save all the little critters you can.

[hr width='40%']
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Thankies.

Things are slowly falling into place. It's getting there.

The tanks been running for 2 days with freshwater. We've been doing leak checks and whatnot.

I'd like to pick up a decent amount of TM this weekend...and we have sand already.

What are your thoughts on throwing in some LR without having my lights yet.

I know it can be done but i'm kinda sketchy about it...I just want this tank filled.

I know I know...in a reef tank only bad things happen quickly.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

Theaustralian
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 101
Votes: 0
male australia
Its bigger then mine....

~Scott
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Okey dokey, did some tank work today, so here's some piccies.

I might have to resize these later, but no time now. I have no idea how big they're going to be.

This first picture is the modified stand w/ the sump tank in it too. The sump tank is a 30 gallon long I believe, and you can sort of see the divider we made. (Better pic of that later) It shows how well everything fits.

This next picture is without the sump, so you can really see the woodwork. All the pine is the stuff we added on, anything black was the original.

This third picture is just the sump tank. We used lexan to divide the tank into two parts. The smaller part is going to be used as a sump. There will be no substrate, and it'll be used strictly for equipment. The other side is the fuge side, and it can be used for vegetable filtration, or basically whatever I need it for. The divider also helps calm the overflow pipe so there's no tidal waves.

That's all for now, I'll add some more later if I find the time.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
If genies were real and wishes came true, I’d rub the bottle and be holding you,
I’d close my eyes, wish upon a star, open my eyes, and there you are…
[/font][/font][/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
More pictures? Cant wait to see updates.

[hr width='40%']
I lay here in my bed and dream of you
Hoping you are dreaming of me too...
Someday the miles will be less and we will dream together
Your heart and mine Always and Forever...
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
See, with a little creative thinking everything worked out....you did all that worrying and brick throwing for nothing!

Meh. I guess so. It still technically doesn't "work" yet, so we dont know for sure.

Tell me about it...when I was plumbing up the 180 I made 15 trips to HD. I would make a list, and add extra parts on top of the ones that I needed and I still ended up going back I think I spent more on gas than I did on the plumbing!

Ditto! I think it's unavoidable...and with the cost of gas these days, I wouldn't be surprised if we actually did spend more on gas.

Ah, one other thing that I noticed....the strainer on the end of your Durso standpipe isnt really needed. My experience with them is that they tend to start growing algae on them and they either clog or the flow slows down..way down. The way the overflow is set up you shouldnt have to worry about fish or snails getting back there so IMO and IME its not needed. Just thought I'd point that out so you could make the decision while its easier to get to.

Hmm. Didn't think of that. The strainer is kind of, um, how do I describe it...it's very open? I guess? So it doesn't seem like it'd clog too easy, but I'll take it off anyways because there's really not a point to having it there. Smart thinking.

Pictures will be up soon.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
If genies were real and wishes came true, I’d rub the bottle and be holding you,
I’d close my eyes, wish upon a star, open my eyes, and there you are…
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
I also want to share the DIY canopy, or skirt rather, that we built together. We had to build our own because Oceanic/AGA/Perfecto all those companies haven't put the wooden canopies for bowfronts on the market yet. Plus, using MH and weird circulation units always provides issues for design. Another thing that contributed to our design was my height. With the skirt on (which is 10" tall) the whole set up is exactly my height. So we made special removable panels for daily feedings and small maintenance. This way the whole canopy doesn't need to come off for a quick task.

Very cool, cant wait to see pics of it on the tank

I will ALSO share the way we modified the stand. This had two purposes, which I think I already stated. Reinforcement, for one thing, and because of the bowfront design there wasn't much room under the stand for a sump. So we knocked out some braces and made our own, and extended the whole thing a couple of inches. Now, we can comfortably fit a 100 gallon system within 4 feet of space. Plus, this allowed us to raise the skimmer to the proper height.

Aquarists are some of the most creative people around. I have to say, this hobby always keeps you on yours toes.

See, with a little creative thinking everything worked out....you did all that worrying and brick throwing for nothing!

Another thing I'm learning from this whole project: It's impossible to make less than 3 trips to Home Depot while plumbing a new tank. No matter how well you plan, no matter how many lists you write, you will always have to return. Several times that is.

Tell me about it...when I was plumbing up the 180 I made 15 trips to HD. I would make a list, and add extra parts on top of the ones that I needed and I still ended up going back I think I spent more on gas than I did on the plumbing!

Ah, one other thing that I noticed....the strainer on the end of your Durso standpipe isnt really needed. My experience with them is that they tend to start growing algae on them and they either clog or the flow slows down..way down. The way the overflow is set up you shouldnt have to worry about fish or snails getting back there so IMO and IME its not needed. Just thought I'd point that out so you could make the decision while its easier to get to.

[hr width='40%']
I lay here in my bed and dream of you
Hoping you are dreaming of me too...
Someday the miles will be less and we will dream together
Your heart and mine Always and Forever...

Last edited by DarkRealm Overlord at 27-Apr-2005 20:17
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Thanks. I'm pretty sure we modified the top a bit since that picture was taken, but my Dad is playing with it down in the basement so I can't grab another updated pic for a couple of days. Not to mention he's got the camera 6 hours away at our other house.

I also want to share the DIY canopy, or skirt rather, that we built together. We had to build our own because Oceanic/AGA/Perfecto all those companies haven't put the wooden canopies for bowfronts on the market yet. Plus, using MH and weird circulation units always provides issues for design. Another thing that contributed to our design was my height. With the skirt on (which is 10" tall) the whole set up is exactly my height. So we made special removable panels for daily feedings and small maintenance. This way the whole canopy doesn't need to come off for a quick task.

I will ALSO share the way we modified the stand. This had two purposes, which I think I already stated. Reinforcement, for one thing, and because of the bowfront design there wasn't much room under the stand for a sump. So we knocked out some braces and made our own, and extended the whole thing a couple of inches. Now, we can comfortably fit a 100 gallon system within 4 feet of space. Plus, this allowed us to raise the skimmer to the proper height.

Aquarists are some of the most creative people around. I have to say, this hobby always keeps you on yours toes.

Another thing I'm learning from this whole project: It's impossible to make less than 3 trips to Home Depot while plumbing a new tank. No matter how well you plan, no matter how many lists you write, you will always have to return. Several times that is.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
Life’s tough,
Get a helmet.
[/font]

dthurs
---------------
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4170
Votes: 529
male usa
Very nice job on the plumbing.

Dan

Dan
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
I'm still considering them, they aren't totally out of the question. The one I've been considering lately is the combo MH/T5. It's got two 250 watt halides, and the T5's in the front and back. It's a nice price too.

Many phone calls between my Dad and Paul, and some help from the reef club led up to the plumbing. They all understood it, I really didn't have to touch any of it. I just said what I wanted, and BOOM! it was done. I'm happy with it.

We've had water running through the tank to test the plumbing, but the pump for the OM was on backorder, and when it came in finally it was damaged. So we had to ship it back and actually it shold be arriving today. Then we can make more modifications if necessary.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
Life’s tough,
Get a helmet.
[/font]

Last edited by Ferretfish at 25-Apr-2005 12:47

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Been working on my new tank a lot lately.

Updates:

72 gallon RR bowfront

30 gallon sump/refugium (1/3 sump, 2/3's fuge)

AquaC EV protein skimmer w/ mag 5, sitting outside the sump on a removable shelf

mag 12 on the return

Oceans Motions 4 way super squirt w/ Iwaki (PanWorld? It didn't come yet and I cant remember) pump, alternating sequences---Got a ball valve on each for complete control, and lockline tubing on the end of each pipe. I was originally going to go with the 4 way, but after many calls to Paul from OM I learned that I could easily get away with the super squirt.

Modified stand, in order to fit the sump and to reinforce it, and DIY canopy

Several hundred pounds of Southdown sand in my garage, just waiting

Heaters, test kits, hydrometers, refractometers, the usual deal...

Lights- undecided, and I'll tell you guys why. Originally I was going to do an Aquamedic strip fixture. But many in my reef club pointed out that if something goes wrong, the whole thing needs to be sent back for repair, so I'll suddenly be left with NO lights. But I really dont like pendants...so I'm still deciding.

I attended the NERAC conference on the 16th and 17th. Met all the favorites, Anthony Calfo, Scott W. Michael, etc. And I've got a great reef club helping me out.

So any input appreciated, I just thought I'd update as I haven't posted in awhile.

Pics:

and...

So...comments, questions, concerns, whatever. All appreciated.

-Ferret

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
Life’s tough,
Get a helmet.
[/font][/font]

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Good memory I am starting to get quite the collection of shirts from online vendors It seems I can always con a shirt out of them

! *pictures Nate's closet* Marine Depot, Phishy Business...hahaha At NERAC the Cyclop-eez guys were there wearing the Got Pods? t-shirts, those are amazing.

No matter what tank you have, aquascaping will always take playing around with..and not just hours You will mess around with it for weeks trying to get it just the way you like it. I had my 180 set up for 7 months then decided to take everything out and re-aquascape it...talk about a chore!

Ouchies. >.< Yeah I think I can count on that happening...especially with the way I can be a perfectionist.

Good, Im glad you are planning future setups already I hope everything works out and you can have a house full of tanks and frags

It's impossible to NOT form future set ups...I mean, if you see something you like, but it's not compatible with the other things you like...BOOM! New tank! Or at least, that's the way I see it. Why limit yourself?

Water quality will be a piece of cake once the tank settles down and you get the balance. You understand the concept, you just need to put it into action. You can do it, I know you can

I hope so...thanks for the vote of confidence.

Yup, same reason I didnt have any growing in my tank except on the rock....Calcium gets sucked up kinda fast with SPS.

That's what I figured...will I get good coralline growth on the back if I wait on SPS for a couple months...?

I hope YOU like everything I suggest...I remember going through Reef Fishes so I think I have a pretty good idea of things you like Ill start working on a list soon...hopefully things will settle down a bit and Ill have more time to research and post.

Yes yes...I trust you in doing a good job. And I mean c'mon, basically anything pink purple or blue appeals to me.

You know I would if it was possible....I dont mind giving away freebies to fellow reefers.

That's the only way to have a nice tank in this hobby. Awww, Nate should be Fish Profile Sweetheart. Everyone at work has names like that.

The first two are a two part calcium and alkalinity supplement that you dose directly to the tank in a high flow area. The two brands that I would suggest is B-Ionic or Oceans Blend.....both are comparable but IMO/IME the Oceans Blend is cheaper and lasts longer. Calcium and Kalk reactors just make life a little easier because you dont have to dose.

Okay, I know I've seen the B-ionic one at work, and yeah it's a two part thing by Kent I think. I always look at the Kent supplements b/c the bottles are so colorful and attractive. I haven't seen the other one, but of course if we dont carry it I can order it in from somewhere else. But...

You could also talk to Joe (or others in your club) and have them help you set up a drip system for dosing kalkwasser. This would do a couple things....keep your calcium up, keep your PH up and not have a night day swing, and also keep your alk up. Kalkwasser also helps precipitate phosphate and will help your skimmer pull it from the water

Yes yes...that sounds like a much better idea. Initially I wouldn't mind dosing, but overtime it's going to get annoying, especially when I have to trust other people to do it. So...how soon should I do that...? I'll bring it up to "the boys" when it's time, I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

If we are on the same track......I hope we are going the same direction

I think we are...I think we're both moving towards success with these annoying-pain-in-the-butt new SPS tanks.

Im sure Serdar will be more than willing to answer any questions you have. Its good to see you excited about the tank again....I know its been a rough road.

Good...I cant wait to talk to him. And yes...this tank has been a rough road, and it's hard to make progress when you're unhappy about the way things are going. >.< Sometimes if you remember to keep your chin up, and "just keep swimming" things are a bit easier though. I promise.

Prince Ball Valve?

Oh you're cool now! *giggles* Yeah I guess you can be Prince BV. Or King BV, whichever you prefer. Or co captain!

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Okay, well maybe I haven't quite placed THAT many orders, but I have placed quite more than the average teenager has. I dont remember seeing the free t shirt box, I guess I'll have to look more carefully. >.< Do you have to spend a certain amount in order to get it?

Yes you do...I dont remember what the amount is, but I know you have placed orders large enough to qualify for it. If you ask them, they may throw one in just because of how much you have ordered in the last couple months

Side note...all the plumbing is done on the tank, now we're working on the electrical stuff today. Playing around with outlets heaters pumps and more...oh, and the super squirt! I think we have to put in like a new circuit or something, there's so much power going into that tank that the TV and the computer along with the ps2 and everything else in there is sorta freaking out

I know how that goes. My brother is coming up this weekend to add a subpanel in the basement just for tank equipment. In the old house I had to upgrade the wiring in certain parts of the house to a larger sized wire, and also bump up the breakers on certain parts of the house. It was to the point that if the tank lights were on and you ran the microwave you would kick the breaker. I wont have to worry about it in the new house though....there will be plenty of JuIIIce coming out of the new subpanel

Yeah, my dad pretty much bought all the plumbing supplies. Which saved me another couple hundred, which means a lot. Also, I'm hoping I can get away with, "You like that fish mom? (pointing to a Princess Anthias) Good! You can buy it for us!" She's so cute when she picks out things, I love going to the fish stores with her. We look at all the tanks together and she shows me which frags look healthy and she shows me the things she likes. She's HOOKED on a pure crystal white bubble coral, that's going to be fun to find over here. Usually the ones I see have some sort of greenish tint, but I know we can find one she likes. She also likes goni's; even though they're LPS? I dont mind too much b/c we actually get some really nice specimens in here, it'll just be a matter of finding the perfect colored one. (But under the T5's it might not matter too much anyway...)

Im hoping that my Dad will do the same thing when they come up this weekend...I think I can con him into buying the plumbing and the stuff to build the stand Its kinda funny cause I can get him to buy things and he doesnt even realise that Im doing it.

It seems like your Mom is an LPS nut. Everything that you have listed that she likes is an LPS. Oh well, most LPS are not that bad to have mixed into an SPS tank as long as you take into account the possibility of sweepers. Im glad that they are taking an interest in it and helping you out

Do they have tanks? My parents really want this tank to look good b/c it is now the focal point of our den. Whenever we have company they will be sure to see it.

They dont have tanks, but I know they would if I was closer and could help them start them up and take care of them for awhile. They really enjoyed sitting in front of mine and watching it for hours.

I have no doubt that your tank will look good....it wont happen over night, but it will happen.

Yeah, I'm a weird kid, what can I say. They dont understand it, but I'm sure when they get to see it they'll appreciate it much more. Sometimes I let my closer friends in on decisions, they "adopt" fish for my tank. Hey, if it keeps them happy, they can pretend that the Nemo is theirs.

You are far from being weird.....Even if they dont appreciate it or understand it I would be willing to place bets that they will think its cool.

I like your plan on letting them adopt things for your tank Its a good way to get them involved too!

Thanks. It's for your own good!!!

I dont know about that, but Ill keep it up

Ohhh not anymore it's not

Ummmm.....MMTB?!?!

Ohhh I like that mille. And now that your superman is gone, I think you're going to need another one. Greenish things dont usually appeal to me just b/c they just remind me of algae a lot. That doesn't mean that there are exceptions though

I already have a frag of the superman waiting for me to get back up and running....same with the Mille and various others that he has, including the pink BN and green BN.

Im not too into leathers, but the green polyp leathers are worth having...check out reeffarmers.com and see how long the wait list is for them. I think it goes to 2009 or something crazy like that plus the price is outragous for the size. While they may be "rare" in some places, they are all over the place here. They are always up for sale on our forum, and nobody wants them....because everyone already has them

Aww, that's cute. I wish some of the people in the club were more towards my age. >.< Whenever the guys come over to help the other guys out, they usually will treat them to dinner and wine or something...and I'm just this random little 16 year old in the middle of an amazing hobby. Not like I'm complaining, it's just that in the entire reef club, from all over the island, there is only ONE other member my age. Grrr. The hobby is growing, but we still need to get more people involved.

Cris is a very cool guy, and even more generous. If you ever make it out here we will have to head over to his house and check things out....We can also hit Dels, Kips, Steves, and anyone elses that you want to check out.

I think the youngest member in our club is 11. Our club is growing like crazy. I remember when I would go to meetings and I would know everyone there Thats not the case anymore.

Well that's pretty cool! I totally forgot that you guys exchanged your beaches for mountains. That is so not fair...b/c I like mountains more. I set myself up for this one. Actually we still have mountains here, my house up state is IN the mountains. Just...well, they're a couple hours away. At least I can have both if I want to!!! I want a club ski trip

*looks out window* Whaaaa, could it be? Are those the Colorado Rocky Mountains I see? Yes, you did set yourself up for that one and I took advantage of it

The club ski trips are fun.....or so I hear. I havent been boarding in soooooo long I dont even know if I remember how to do it I think we are planning a big field trip for this summer too.....not sure where we are going to go, but we are going to rent a huge bus and go somewhere.

Merph.

Sorry

It's already weird not being able to ask you for a pic of your tank, get moving silly!

Im moving as fast as money will let me Think its weird not being able to ask for a pic of the tank? Try not taking pics of the tank and corals. I use to take pics of every coral in the tank once a week to track growth and color. Not to mention not hearing the tank running.....its a freaky sound to be able to hear the fridge kick on and off!

LOL, I'll be the plumbing on this tank could give anyone, even Calfo, a headache. Maybe you should fly him in for tank plumbing day? I have no idea what I want to do with my rocks, I've looked through the Book of Coral Prop but it didn't really help...b/c I still dont have a clue as to what I want to do. I dont think I'm even going to think about it more until I see the stocking list, b/c I want to make it the most natural setting for those shishies.

I wont fly him out, but I will guarantee that he will see the plans and be able to comment/offer suggestions on it. Im gonna see if I can beat Dels ball valve record.

You wont know what to do with the rockwork until you get the rock and just start doing it. It will come to you during the process. Just dont get frustrated if it takes you all day to get it aquascaped

Ill work on the stocking list tonight and hopefully post it tomorrow night for you

WHAT?!?! Oh doesn't that just make you feel great...

Yup it does....but not as great as seeing his 800 gallon display tank I guess it helps when you can build your own tanks

99% acros will be pretty cool. And I picked out a nice list of clams for you to help fill out that 1%.

I've been looking at Atlantisaquarium.net ever since you sent me the link of the acro that resembles L. spp. Even sometimes they cheat on their sci names though. I need to order (another) book.

Everyone cheats on their Scientific names They have to unless they want to take a frag, bleach it, and then look at it under a scope to get a correct ID. Most of the time they get pretty close though

If you want a book that will show good pictures of the corals, and also the coral skeleton let me know...I recommended it to you one time already, but I think it was a tad expensive for you right now.

Pig. Lol, well that's good. Just seems like for some reason when FProfillians dont feel like eating they come into chat.

Wow, thats the same reason some of them have taken 3 weeks to get moved!

*fingers crossed* Online dealers are the biggest blessing and the biggest curse at the same time. Does MarineDepot ship free on livestock when you buy over $175 like with dry goods? I'm afraid I'm going to be sucked into buying online constantly. Although the new reef store has several hundred gallons w/ halides dedicated to SPS. Finally

I dont believe they do....actually i doubt they do since they are not associated with Marine depot in any way. They are completely different business'

There are a couple stores here that stock mostly Acro's....they still dont get the stuff that you can get online though. Everything is cherry picked as by local stores before it even has a chance to be listed on an availability list. Thats why its nice to have connections and be able to fly out and do some cherry picking yourself

I'm pretty good with the whole patience deal...after all, I have been waiting since Christmas. I think todays project is adding in sand, I'm trying to do a little something each day. Something tells me I might not be able to lift the bags though, and I dont have anyone to help me, so this could be quite an event

Thats good that you have patience...I hope it continues I like your plan of trying to do a little something every day. It makes it seem like you are making progress even if you dont do a whole lot to it at once.

The thing is, summer isn't the busiest season, b/c they dont specialize in ponds, they specialize in marine. I'm not sure what's going to happen, but he has my number, so all we can do is cross our fingers and wait.

You would be suprised with how much business they will have during the summer. The store I worked at was 100% marine and we were just as busy in the summer (if not busier) than what we were in the winter. Holiday time is when it really slowed down.

If this doesn't fall through the way I want it to I'm not sure what I'm going to do...

Thats easy....Keep your chin up and keep plugging away. I know its hard to do sometimes, but.....if I have to do it then you do too

HEY NOW!!! I'm not as short as you think I am. Okay...well, maybe. The skimmers are cool, so is the fluidized bed thingies he's got. I forgot to mention he's also running Ozone. That's a new concept that really fascinates me. I'm learning about it slowly, dont think it's right for this tank, but in the future possibly. As far as UV goes, to me it just seems like it kills off the bad but it kills off too much good at the same time. Our friends have one on their 90 reef, but it's not SPS dominated, there's very simple things in there. *shrug*

you forget that I know how tall you are Fluidized bed filters are great for stores....they are able to process a LOT of nitrate.

As for the Ozone....Id look into it if you want to. It would do wonders for your tank, and make the SPS veeeerrry happy. Ozone will increase your skimmer performance, raise ORP, and also make the water crystal clear so that your SPS get the most light they can get from the fixture that you chose. Its DEF. beneficial to any reef tank IMO.

Exactly. I really hope this turns out to be the new job. I'd really like to work there, they've got a nice selection. Today I saw several rare-ish eels and rays, some nice angels and butterflies, including the HUGEST CBB I've ever seen, the HUGEST heniochus i've ever seen, and lots of smaller favorites, like the 6 line and dartfish. I also saw a purple filefish maybe? THAT was cool...I'm so excited for the corals.

Im keeping my fingers crossed for you. I know you really want it, and I know you would be an great addition to their staff. With the knowledge that you have now, I dont see how they could say no.

Hey now, I do NOT snort when I laugh! Silly.

I NEVER said you did

Oh? Well I guess we'll have to wait and see if they follow the path of reefkeeping. When all my reef books move down to the fish room I'm sure they'll find some time to do a little bit of research, even if they dont care about phosphates the way I do.

I have a feeling they will get into more as you start to stock the tank...how could they not be interested in it?

Indeed. The SPS will probably have to go. Oh well, I dont think I should be talking about this when they aren't even HERE yet. They probably wont want to take care of anything that needs to be target fed either. *cough* Sun Polyps *cough* I've been target feeding at work, it's actually fun. I like feeding the flame scallops the most!

It never hurts to plan ahead into the future a bit

Ya gonna try your hand with Tubastrea huh? IMO they are not hard to take care of at all....just a little time consuming at first when you are trying to train them. If you do it right, they will be out all day long

Awww. She's such a cutie though. She may bark a lot, but I dont think she could beat Mocha in a stealing contest. My fuzzbutt is the biggest thief EVER! She could kick Akia's butt in the Stealing Monster tournament. Too bad she doesn't double as a SnuggleMonster though. She bites toes...

She is a cutie....AND I get to see her this weekend when my parents come up

I really miss my little SnuggleMonster

Ouch...that sounds pretty boring and pretty tiring. Wait...what tanks do you have to top off if all the SPS are gone..? *confused* Well at least you have more time to yourself now that you're closer to work. No more rushing to and from lunch breaks and whatnot. And who could complain about more sleep?

I still have to top off the tanks because of the live rock and fish

I will have a little more time to myself. The sleep issue isnt really because of the distance that I have to drive....its more of a issue with me getting use to being up at 4am a couple months ago

More time at home for lunch breaks will be nice though

Nah, you would have been less happy with it in the long run if you got a smaller house. I think you'll be happy with what you chose. Do whatever you feel is right; just make sure the roomie is an SPS freak or you're going to have quite a few problems!

I might not have been as happy, but I would have had more money and not have to work as much. Im gonna give it a shot without a roomie for atleast a couple months to see how things go. If Im struggling with bills then Ill look into it.

I highly doubt I will find a roomie that is an SPS freak....atleast not around here.

You better get moving! I can't wait to see the webby. Are you guys carrying dry goods and livestock? There probably wont be any good livestock on the site anyway, you and Kip will snatch all the good frags and save the suckier ones for everyone else.

We will just carry dry goods for awhile...the plan is for me to start stocking SPS a little farther down the road. That will probably happen when/if I start doing the business full time from home.

How did you know that we would be cherry picking? We wont cherry pick everything though....and what we do cherry pick will be put in grow out systems so we can start selling frags of them.

I hope the princes are good. Frequent buyers discount anyone?

Ummmm, I dont think we will be selling Princes The prices will be very good from what I have seen. Im sure we could work out a Frequent buyers discount

Dont worry, I'm a tough cookie, and I'm watching out for myself. I'll be okay.

Good deal...thats what I like to hear

Daydreams are good! Well I do have a beatiful reef-to-be tank. Does that count. Maybe you could draw up a giant blueprint or something? And hang it on the wall? Or just print out a picure of the 180 at its best, blown up of course. And buy a tape that plays overflow sounds. Or just listen to one of those therapy tapes that plays waves crashing against the shores...same effect I'm sure.

How about I hire an artist to come and paint the whole wall to look like a reef! Then I wouldnt have to set up a tank! *starts running*

know the feeling. This reminds me, I have to scan in the pictures I've been drawing. I did a really good one last night that I have to finish. I'm gunna have to play with the scanner later.

Yes you do! Im anxious to see them

YES!!! I finally made it through this post!

I did too! Have fun replying

Hey Nate? It's your turn to post. Have fun.

Ummmm, no its your turn

BTW, How is the tank looking now? Is it still cloudy or did it settle a little?

Ill post links to the lighting for the fuge and the timers in a little bit....gotta grab some eats first

*lobs giant cool whip ball at Liana*

[hr width='40%']
Go to my room and I close my eyes
I make believe that I have a new life
I don’t believe you when you say
Everything will be wonderful someday

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Okay, as requested by you annoying little kids in chat, here's the pics with the sand added. It's terrible, but part of the process. Tank was filled with sand and water at approximately 6 PM eastern time...

w/o sump showing...

With sump showing...

I hope those worked.

*kicks photobucket*

-Ferret

PS...no laughing at my ugly tank

EDIT: Gahh! They're sideways! *smacks head* grr...i'll fix it later, deal for now *tired*

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font][/font]

Last edited by Ferretfish at 15-May-2005 19:01

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
35gpd unit by Captive purity.

[link=http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_reverse-osmosis-deionization_captive_purity.asp?CartId=]http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_reverse-osmosis-deionization_captive_purity.asp?CartId=" style="COLOR: #FF0000[/link]

Flow restrictor if you want to modify the spectrapure one to a lower gpd unit.

[link=http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=RO1211]http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=RO1211" style="COLOR: #FF0000[/link]

And the lower gpd membrane to go with the flow restrictor.

[link=http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=RO1175]http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=RO1175" style="COLOR: #FF0000[/link]

[hr width='40%']

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
posting as requested.

Spectrapure MPDI-60. Its the same one that I have and it works great.

[hr width='40%']

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Oh, quick notes before I forget:

-link for sump lighting
-link for lighting timers
-link for RO/DI unit (from acropora.net)

Thankies!

-Ferret

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
There was actually 2 random problems with that thread, reading in all quotes really hurt my eyes. Yipes...well I fixed it now, and I know what to look for next time it happens, which will hopefully be never.

thats a LOT of orders I dont even think Ive placed that many orders from MD, and Ive placed quite a few You just have to look for the free shirt offer and make sure you check the box saying you want the free shirt

Okay, well maybe I haven't quite placed THAT many orders, but I have placed quite more than the average teenager has. I dont remember seeing the free t shirt box, I guess I'll have to look more carefully. >.< Do you have to spend a certain amount in order to get it?

Side note...all the plumbing is done on the tank, now we're working on the electrical stuff today. Playing around with outlets heaters pumps and more...oh, and the super squirt! I think we have to put in like a new circuit or something, there's so much power going into that tank that the TV and the computer along with the ps2 and everything else in there is sorta freaking out.

Thats cool! Im glad the family is taking a liking to it. It will make it easier for you to get additional funding for it if the need arises Its nice that they are interested in it, even if they are not in it as deep as you are. It sure does make things easier if the people around you are interested in it. Trust me, I know how it goes when they are not.

Yeah, my dad pretty much bought all the plumbing supplies. Which saved me another couple hundred, which means a lot. Also, I'm hoping I can get away with, "You like that fish mom? (pointing to a Princess Anthias) Good! You can buy it for us!" She's so cute when she picks out things, I love going to the fish stores with her. We look at all the tanks together and she shows me which frags look healthy and she shows me the things she likes. She's HOOKED on a pure crystal white bubble coral, that's going to be fun to find over here. Usually the ones I see have some sort of greenish tint, but I know we can find one she likes. She also likes goni's; even though they're LPS? I dont mind too much b/c we actually get some really nice specimens in here, it'll just be a matter of finding the perfect colored one. (But under the T5's it might not matter too much anyway...)

I am lucky that my parents and my brother all are interested in it.....not that it really matters if they are or not but still. It makes for interesting discussions especially with my mom. Sometimes it takes a couple time to explain it so she understands it, but she usually picks up on it pretty fast.

Do they have tanks? My parents really want this tank to look good b/c it is now the focal point of our den. Whenever we have company they will be sure to see it. Repitition is key, that's when they start to remember things. Mom has finally moved past the stage where she can tell a freshwater tank from a marine tank just by looking at it. Previous times: we'd be in the middle of a freshwater aisle, and just b/c there was sand in the tank, or maybe a bright colored cichlid, she would ask if it was saltwater. No matter how many times I tried to explain that MOST if not ALL pet stores do not put random sw tanks in the middle of a fw rack. It's quite funny.

Its hard to understand something like your addiction especially for your friends. Its just you have different goals in life, and they dont understand them. Its not a bad thing though

Yeah, I'm a weird kid, what can I say. They dont understand it, but I'm sure when they get to see it they'll appreciate it much more. Sometimes I let my closer friends in on decisions, they "adopt" fish for my tank. Hey, if it keeps them happy, they can pretend that the Nemo is theirs.

No problem, I knew what you meant People have fallen for me.....only problem is that they dont tend to stick around Ill keep the tank signs up anyway, just for you

Thanks. It's for your own good!!!

Ill let you win.........even though its my day

Ohhh not anymore it's not.

He has quite a few things that are special and worth stealing frags of, including the pink with blue tip mille, superman coral, tons of green polyp leathers, and quite a few others.

Ohhh I like that mille. And now that your superman is gone, I think you're going to need another one. Greenish things dont usually appeal to me just b/c they just remind me of algae a lot. That doesn't mean that there are exceptions though.

Nope, its not a club function....just friends. We usually try to get together a couple times a year.

Aww, that's cute. I wish some of the people in the club were more towards my age. >.< Whenever the guys come over to help the other guys out, they usually will treat them to dinner and wine or something...and I'm just this random little 16 year old in the middle of an amazing hobby. Not like I'm complaining, it's just that in the entire reef club, from all over the island, there is only ONE other member my age. Grrr. The hobby is growing, but we still need to get more people involved.

We do a club BBQ usually once a year, and also do a variety of other club get togethers outside of meetings. We are actually a very close club and most of us hang out and do things outside of the club.

At NERAC Joe was telling me about some beach thing they do annually in August or something, I can't remember exactly. I know we do certain get-to-gethers, but I haven't been involved for long enough to know much about them. I think our club will grow closer with time, since we're still a relatively new club.

We might not have beaches, but we do have mountains We have had family ski days, and family hike days in the mountains before. I think this summer there was talk about having a family camping trip for club members. Its nice because the club pays for all costs at the get togethers except for transportation costs

Well that's pretty cool! I totally forgot that you guys exchanged your beaches for mountains. That is so not fair...b/c I like mountains more. I set myself up for this one. Actually we still have mountains here, my house up state is IN the mountains. Just...well, they're a couple hours away. At least I can have both if I want to!!! I want a club ski trip.

you can keep your beaches......Ill take the mountains any day

Merph.

Ill do something....not sure on what yet, but Ill def. have a tank. The new tank is still in the process, but it might just take longer to get there. I have to do it though, because we dont want your stocking list to be a waste of time Im not gonna skimp out on my tank....I have learned my lesson on skimping and doing things the easy way. It just doesnt pay off in the end.

Good good, that's what I want to hear. It's already weird not being able to ask you for a pic of your tank, get moving silly!

You are looking up to other people besides me...*cough*look at Joes tank compared to mine *cough* but Im not going to set a bad example. If I do that then I let myself down and you down.....not gonna happen

That's true; I dont know anyone as of now, except for maybe Daniel Knopp, that can compete with Joe's tank. But his is so unrealistic for most people, it's nice to be able to look at something that's actually possible.

Im hoping it will be as cool as you think its gonna be, and as cool as it is on paper. Ive drawn up so many different plans I get confused when looking at them, especially the plumbing plans I have close to 8 different aquascaping designs drawn up, but I dont know if any of them will look good until the tank is here and the rock starts to go in.

LOL, I'll be the plumbing on this tank could give anyone, even Calfo, a headache. Maybe you should fly him in for tank plumbing day? I have no idea what I want to do with my rocks, I've looked through the Book of Coral Prop but it didn't really help...b/c I still dont have a clue as to what I want to do. I dont think I'm even going to think about it more until I see the stocking list, b/c I want to make it the most natural setting for those shishies.

LOL, the guy that is going to build the tank has a tank just like the one I want.....its his frag grow out tank

WHAT?!?! Oh doesn't that just make you feel great...

Im not going to be selective over what species goes in it....just very selective of what the colors are and how they look. The new tank will be 99% acros, with the other 1 percent being clams and ricordia on the sand bed. I might throw in some zoa's on the sand bed too, but probably only "rare" ones.

As for making a list on the corals....hit sites like Reefermadness and pick corals that you like from there. Chris always has them labled with their names. Its a good way to learn what their names are and see what they look like. There are a couple other sites that you could do the same thing from, Atlantisaquarium.net being another one.

99% acros will be pretty cool. And I picked out a nice list of clams for you to help fill out that 1%.

I've been looking at Atlantisaquarium.net ever since you sent me the link of the acro that resembles L. spp. Even sometimes they cheat on their sci names though. I need to order (another) book.

I eat better than you think....just because I skip a meal doesnt mean im not eating. I normally eat 5-6 meals a day plus snacks

Pig. Lol, well that's good. Just seems like for some reason when FProfillians dont feel like eating they come into chat.

Tell me about it....I just paid for shipping on one coral. The coral was $60 and the total bill after shipping was $111.00 ! Oh well, it was worth it. I just hope it turns out to be what I hope it is.

*fingers crossed* Online dealers are the biggest blessing and the biggest curse at the same time. Does MarineDepot ship free on livestock when you buy over $175 like with dry goods? I'm afraid I'm going to be sucked into buying online constantly. Although the new reef store has several hundred gallons w/ halides dedicated to SPS. Finally!

True, but that is where the patience comes in......you have to have patience to research until you are satisfied with the info that you were looking for.

I'm pretty good with the whole patience deal...after all, I have been waiting since Christmas. I think todays project is adding in sand, I'm trying to do a little something each day. Something tells me I might not be able to lift the bags though, and I dont have anyone to help me, so this could be quite an event. !

It sounds like its going to be a kick butt store. I hope things work out for you and you can work there.

I actually just got back, I started writing this post before I left. I dont know exact gallons, but their reef system is huge. There's a big display running the length of the store that will house LPS and softies, and then the shorter part of the whole "L" design is the SPS/clams I think. There's halides w/ actinics over the SPS reef, and there's powercompacts w/ T3's maybe? over the LPS/softies. Theres several hundred pounds of now cured Tonga rock (not my choice, but each aquarist has his preference) and a clean up crew. I believe he said that he's getting sand sifting stars and other seastars in tonight, so that's pretty cool. He hopes to have the reef opened Memorial Day weekend. If it's a nice day the store wont be busy and he thinks he can pull it off. I'm excited!

When we got to the store, he asked how things at work were going. I gave him an "ehhh" face so he asked what was wrong, and I presumed to tell him the story I posted in Recovery Room, about how I got blamed for being an encylopedia. Now, he already hates my boss, and this just made him even madder. He was like "I wish I had someone like that! I dont get why he's complaining..." So then later on, we went to check out his acclimation station in the filter room, and he was telling us about how busy he's going to be. He said to call when school gets out to find out when shipments are coming in, and I could hang around for the day, get first picks, and help out if I wanted. That's when I just came out and asked if he was hiring...

I know he wants to hire me, but it's sort of hard because of my age. He's looking for a full time employee, which is pretty much illegal for me right now. When schools out, I'm allowed to work some extra hours, but I dont think I'm allowed to work a 40 hour week. >.< He did say that one of their part time guys who works only on Sundays hurt his back...I said I was available weekends, the only time it gets tricky is during gymnastics season. He said he was going to do his best and talk to his partner about squeezing me in; I think once the reef opens he'll be really busy. The thing is, summer isn't the busiest season, b/c they dont specialize in ponds, they specialize in marine. I'm not sure what's going to happen, but he has my number, so all we can do is cross our fingers and wait. If this doesn't fall through the way I want it to I'm not sure what I'm going to do...

it doesnt take much to get a skimmer that is taller than you does it Big skimmers are cool, but most of the larger skimmers are not much more efficient if at all than a smaller skimmer that is built correctly As far as the UV......for a shop they work great....in a home tank they work great. It just depends on how much you want to feed your tank. Without the UV on a home tank you dont have to feed as often, and you know that your corals have food available to them 24/7.....plus chances are its the correct size of food for them too. UV does have its benefits, I just dont think it does on a home reef.

HEY NOW!!! I'm not as short as you think I am. Okay...well, maybe. The skimmers are cool, so is the fluidized bed thingies he's got. I forgot to mention he's also running Ozone. That's a new concept that really fascinates me. I'm learning about it slowly, dont think it's right for this tank, but in the future possibly. As far as UV goes, to me it just seems like it kills off the bad but it kills off too much good at the same time. Our friends have one on their 90 reef, but it's not SPS dominated, there's very simple things in there. *shrug*

Nope, it shouldnt be that way for someone your age....there will be plenty of time to dread going to work later. Right now you need to do what makes you happy, yet still earns you some money and gives you experience. Keep your chin up, the new job will be worth it.

Exactly. I really hope this turns out to be the new job. I'd really like to work there, they've got a nice selection. Today I saw several rare-ish eels and rays, some nice angels and butterflies, including the HUGEST CBB I've ever seen, the HUGEST heniochus i've ever seen, and lots of smaller favorites, like the 6 line and dartfish. I also saw a purple filefish maybe? THAT was cool...I'm so excited for the corals.

I want a picture of their faces when you bust out laughing! *snort*

Hey now, I do NOT snort when I laugh! Silly.

Give them time and they will know quite a few different things. I remember talking to someone awhile back who didnt know a whole lot about SW. Now she knows quite a bit and is still learning

Oh? Well I guess we'll have to wait and see if they follow the path of reefkeeping. When all my reef books move down to the fish room I'm sure they'll find some time to do a little bit of research, even if they dont care about phosphates the way I do.

LOL, it could happen.....but im gonna have to say that he might like the tank, but wont want to take care of SPS after you are gone. Be sure to ship out plenty of frags....nothing like fragging to spread the wealth and make sure you have that coral if something should happen. If they dont want to keep the SPS when you are getting ready to leave, Im sure you can find someone to ship the colonies to for safe keeping

Indeed. The SPS will probably have to go. Oh well, I dont think I should be talking about this when they aren't even HERE yet. They probably wont want to take care of anything that needs to be target fed either. *cough* Sun Polyps *cough* I've been target feeding at work, it's actually fun. I like feeding the flame scallops the most!

she is an anything stealing monster...she doesnt care what it is, she wants it. If its good enough for me to eat then she thinks she needs it too. I cant wait to get her back and hear her barking again. Ill take some pics of her when I get her back

Awww. She's such a cutie though. She may bark a lot, but I dont think she could beat Mocha in a stealing contest. My fuzzbutt is the biggest thief EVER! She could kick Akia's butt in the Stealing Monster tournament. Too bad she doesn't double as a SnuggleMonster though. She bites toes...

Going back and forth to top of the tanks is what gets me worn out and not wanting to do anything.....that and the fact that Im moving by myself. I made close to 15 loads today and plan on doing the same tomorrow (errrm today!). The house isnt too far away...maybe 5 miles is all. It takes me about 10ish minutes for a one way trip. The good news is that the new house is closer to work so I can sleep longer and have more time at home for lunch

Ouch...that sounds pretty boring and pretty tiring. Wait...what tanks do you have to top off if all the SPS are gone..? *confused* Well at least you have more time to yourself now that you're closer to work. No more rushing to and from lunch breaks and whatnot. And who could complain about more sleep?

I really should have settled for a smaller house, but I bought it with future plans in mind. Ill either be able to make the house payment on my own, or have to put an ad for a roomie.

Nah, you would have been less happy with it in the long run if you got a smaller house. I think you'll be happy with what you chose. Do whatever you feel is right; just make sure the roomie is an SPS freak or you're going to have quite a few problems!

Hopefully we can get things going with a website before the end of summer. Things keep getting put off because we can find a day that works for all of us to meet and discuss things. *shrugs*

You better get moving! I can't wait to see the webby. Are you guys carrying dry goods and livestock? There probably wont be any good livestock on the site anyway, you and Kip will snatch all the good frags and save the suckier ones for everyone else. I hope the princes are good. Frequent buyers discount anyone?

Remember what I told you about kicking adulthood? Be careful so it doesnt kick back

Dont worry, I'm a tough cookie, and I'm watching out for myself. I'll be okay.

You need a beautiful reef tank to sit and stare at first Ill just sit in front of where the tank(s) are going to go and daydream I guess

Daydreams are good! Well I do have a beatiful reef-to-be tank. Does that count. Maybe you could draw up a giant blueprint or something? And hang it on the wall? Or just print out a picure of the 180 at its best, blown up of course. And buy a tape that plays overflow sounds. Or just listen to one of those therapy tapes that plays waves crashing against the shores...same effect I'm sure.

Very true...If I give up then Ill always wonder "what if?"......which is why I dont think I can give up no matter how much I want too. Its just hard to keep positive thoughts when you dont have it anymore. Ill do my best to keep my chin up though

I know the feeling. This reminds me, I have to scan in the pictures I've been drawing. I did a really good one last night that I have to finish. I'm gunna have to play with the scanner later.

YES!!! I finally made it through this post!

Hey Nate? It's your turn to post. Have fun.

-Ferret

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Found the problem with the quote

"If you feel they are necessary then keep them up[ /quote

LOL we'll see. My next Marine Depot order will be my 2983129083 attempt at getting my first free t-shirt

thats a LOT of orders I dont even think Ive placed that many orders from MD, and Ive placed quite a few You just have to look for the free shirt offer and make sure you check the box saying you want the free shirt

Definetely. My mom's boss has a 90 and 25 reef, so he FORCES her to be interested in it for my sake. Dad is very interested in the hobby, but I dont think he cares much to do things like memorize the sci names of Acros and what not. He sorta just says "Wow that shrimp is really cool...can you get that?" My little brother and sister want the things from Finding Nemo of course, and they love it when they see a fish that they know the name of.

Thats cool! Im glad the family is taking a liking to it. It will make it easier for you to get additional funding for it if the need arises Its nice that they are interested in it, even if they are not in it as deep as you are. It sure does make things easier if the people around you are interested in it. Trust me, I know how it goes when they are not.

I am lucky that my parents and my brother all are interested in it.....not that it really matters if they are or not but still. It makes for interesting discussions especially with my mom. Sometimes it takes a couple time to explain it so she understands it, but she usually picks up on it pretty fast.

So everyone is getting into it, except my friends. They just dont understand it...I'm going to be left with friends in the reef club and none in my high school.

Its hard to understand something like your addiction especially for your friends. Its just you have different goals in life, and they dont understand them. Its not a bad thing though

My right, your left. Sorry...at least you knew what I was talking about. >.< It just goes to show you that people have fallen for you, so I proved your theory wrong. That would mean you should keep the tank signs up. Not like you have a tank for a sign anyway.

No problem, I knew what you meant People have fallen for me.....only problem is that they dont tend to stick around Ill keep the tank signs up anyway, just for you

Ill let you win.........even though its my day

Sweet. I'd really like to see it. Does he have anything really special? Anything worth stealing a frag of? Or two or three? With time those colonies will be huge I'm sure.

He has quite a few things that are special and worth stealing frags of, including the pink with blue tip mille, superman coral, tons of green polyp leathers, and quite a few others.

Are you guys having a reef club bbq?

Nope, its not a club function....just friends. We usually try to get together a couple times a year.

We had an idea to have a reef club beach party, and everyone was going to drain NSW into holding bins in their trucks. Then the boys decided there weren't enough reefer chicks, and we ditched the NSW idea anyway. You guys could do that, except... you dont have beaches! Boo-yah.

We do a club BBQ usually once a year, and also do a variety of other club get togethers outside of meetings. We are actually a very close club and most of us hang out and do things outside of the club.

We might not have beaches, but we do have mountains We have had family ski days, and family hike days in the mountains before. I think this summer there was talk about having a family camping trip for club members. Its nice because the club pays for all costs at the get togethers except for transportation costs

you can keep your beaches......Ill take the mountains any day

That's fair enough. I remember talking awhile back when I was deciding on my tank, and I know from the beginning you told me about how you're ideal dream tank would be a cube, and that's why I dont want you to give up on it. After all, if you decided not to do it, your whole new tank thread and all of our going back and forth would be for nothing. You wouldn't be able to use the stocking list I wrote/am writing, and you wouldn't be able to have a big group of Princess Anthias, as planned. It'd just throw a whole bunch of things off, and I really think you'd regret it in the long run. Keep your chin up and go with what you really want. You told me not to skimp out on my lights, so how could you turn around and skimp out on your tank?

Ill do something....not sure on what yet, but Ill def. have a tank. The new tank is still in the process, but it might just take longer to get there. I have to do it though, because we dont want your stocking list to be a waste of time Im not gonna skimp out on my tank....I have learned my lesson on skimping and doing things the easy way. It just doesnt pay off in the end.

I'm looking up to you in this whole marine process, dont set a bad example by being a hypocrite. I'm looking forward to seeing this tank, it's going to be a cool one.

You are looking up to other people besides me...*cough*look at Joes tank compared to mine *cough* but Im not going to set a bad example. If I do that then I let myself down and you down.....not gonna happen

Im hoping it will be as cool as you think its gonna be, and as cool as it is on paper. Ive drawn up so many different plans I get confused when looking at them, especially the plumbing plans I have close to 8 different aquascaping designs drawn up, but I dont know if any of them will look good until the tank is here and the rock starts to go in.

Nobody in my reef club has a cube that I know of

LOL, the guy that is going to build the tank has a tank just like the one I want.....its his frag grow out tank

Oh and you still wont know anyone in your club that has a cube even after I get mine done You would have to move in order to say that you knew someone in your club that had a cube!

I'll say! You didn't give me many options to pick from for this new tanks stocking list. We're basically stuck on acros for this tank huh. Well, not a problem, I do love my SPS and slowly but surely I think I'm going to become an SPS fanatic...It's just a struggle to make the list b/c so many of them are unidentified and only labeled as Acropora...that and I'm not exposed to very many of them. But I'm trying! It doesn't look like this tank will be running and ready for SPS for another couple months so I've got some time.

Im not going to be selective over what species goes in it....just very selective of what the colors are and how they look. The new tank will be 99% acros, with the other 1 percent being clams and ricordia on the sand bed. I might throw in some zoa's on the sand bed too, but probably only "rare" ones.

As for making a list on the corals....hit sites like Reefermadness and pick corals that you like from there. Chris always has them labled with their names. Its a good way to learn what their names are and see what they look like. There are a couple other sites that you could do the same thing from, Atlantisaquarium.net being another one.

I guess eating is so important to me because of my sport. I have to eat my special foods during practices and meets, it's sorta like tradition. When I was younger our coaches really impacted our diet, and the fact that I have a mom who works in a hospital sort of helps the whole nutritional deal as well. Good nutrition keeps you healthy and in shape...heck, we feed our shishies good, why can't we feed ourselves well!?

I eat better than you think....just because I skip a meal doesnt mean im not eating. I normally eat 5-6 meals a day plus snacks

Ohhh yeah it rocks. With the price of online shipping it's really nice to have a buddy to share it with.

Tell me about it....I just paid for shipping on one coral. The coral was $60 and the total bill after shipping was $111.00 ! Oh well, it was worth it. I just hope it turns out to be what I hope it is.

I'm starting to think that this hobby is more about research than it is patiences honestly

True, but that is where the patience comes in......you have to have patience to research until you are satisfied with the info that you were looking for.

If I work at the new shop, I'll be exposed to a lot more. The store design is really cool; there's posters all over w/ Calfo quotes, there are boardwalk type bridges in between the tanks to sort of imitate a seawater feeling, and there's lots of really cool shaped display tanks in the stock area. The acclimation system he worked out is pretty cool too, as is the filter room. I <3 protein skimmers that are taller than me. The UV sterilizer is also something; I was always sketchy on those but it seems like it'll work in his case.

It sounds like its going to be a kick butt store. I hope things work out for you and you can work there.

it doesnt take much to get a skimmer that is taller than you does it Big skimmers are cool, but most of the larger skimmers are not much more efficient if at all than a smaller skimmer that is built correctly As far as the UV......for a shop they work great....in a home tank they work great. It just depends on how much you want to feed your tank. Without the UV on a home tank you dont have to feed as often, and you know that your corals have food available to them 24/7.....plus chances are its the correct size of food for them too. UV does have its benefits, I just dont think it does on a home reef.

The sooner I can switch jobs the better; I'm tired of dreading work. As a little kid it shouldn't be that way.

Nope, it shouldnt be that way for someone your age....there will be plenty of time to dread going to work later. Right now you need to do what makes you happy, yet still earns you some money and gives you experience. Keep your chin up, the new job will be worth it.

LOL! I'll laugh so hard when you're right. Table top acros are pretty easy to ID. My brother and sister love to ID the fish, they aren't very good at it yet, but they will be. I'm trying to get them to differentiate between surgeon fish, angels, butterflys, wrasses, etc. Not really specific fish, just in general. I dont want them impulse buying for the tank so I'm trying to keep everyone on top of things. It's difficult, but it's so much fun. When they are comfortable with the word anenomefish instead of Nemo, I'll be satisfied.

I want a picture of their faces when you bust out laughing! *snort*

Give them time and they will know quite a few different things. I remember talking to someone awhile back who didnt know a whole lot about SW. Now she knows quite a bit and is still learning

Definetely. Unless by some freak chance my Dad turns into an SPS nut, I'm going to have to ship out frags to friends like crazy. I'm sure the guys in the club and others will help out, I've got some people in mind.

LOL, it could happen.....but im gonna have to say that he might like the tank, but wont want to take care of SPS after you are gone. Be sure to ship out plenty of frags....nothing like fragging to spread the wealth and make sure you have that coral if something should happen. If they dont want to keep the SPS when you are getting ready to leave, Im sure you can find someone to ship the colonies to for safe keeping

Aww...well take your time Akia proofing everything so that she stays safe when she does come back. It's been a long time, just think of how rewarding it will be to hold her once more. I know she brings a smile to your face, how can you resist that fry stealing monster!

she is an anything stealing monster...she doesnt care what it is, she wants it. If its good enough for me to eat then she thinks she needs it too. I cant wait to get her back and hear her barking again. Ill take some pics of her when I get her back

Flipping back and forth between houses doesn't sound fun...I've always been thankful that I'm not a divorced kid. I just know I'd leave something at one house...driving back and forth all the time must be a huge pain! How far away is the new house from the old one?

Going back and forth to top of the tanks is what gets me worn out and not wanting to do anything.....that and the fact that Im moving by myself. I made close to 15 loads today and plan on doing the same tomorrow (errrm today!). The house isnt too far away...maybe 5 miles is all. It takes me about 10ish minutes for a one way trip. The good news is that the new house is closer to work so I can sleep longer and have more time at home for lunch

I considered the new house a pricey project. I think things will get easier when you and Kip really get the business together. *kicks adulthood for ya*

I really should have settled for a smaller house, but I bought it with future plans in mind. Ill either be able to make the house payment on my own, or have to put an ad for a roomie.

Hopefully we can get things going with a website before the end of summer. Things keep getting put off because we can find a day that works for all of us to meet and discuss things. *shrugs*

Remember what I told you about kicking adulthood? Be careful so it doesnt kick back

Nothin' beats it. Especially when you get to eat them in front of a beatiful reef tank. Watching your slice of ocean with the perfect snack? What could be better!

You need a beautiful reef tank to sit and stare at first Ill just sit in front of where the tank(s) are going to go and daydream I guess

Keep your chin up. If you give it your all you cant regret anything now can you? That's how I feel each time I do another routine. Even if I dont score too high, I know I did my best, so it makes me happy knowing that I tried. Things will pull through.

Very true...If I give up then Ill always wonder "what if?"......which is why I dont think I can give up no matter how much I want too. Its just hard to keep positive thoughts when you dont have it anymore. Ill do my best to keep my chin up though

[hr width='40%']
Am I crazy for wanting you Baby
do you think you could want me too
I don't wanna waste your time
Do you see things the way I do
I just wanna know if you feel it too
There is nothing left to hide

Last edited by DarkRealm Overlord at 15-May-2005 04:23
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Im sure they will hook you up with a shirt.....whether its a small or not I dont know

LOL we'll see. My next Marine Depot order will be my 2983129083 attempt at getting my first free t-shirt.

It will take them awhile, but they will start to pick things up. I think they are excited about it more than they let on.

Definetely. My mom's boss has a 90 and 25 reef, so he FORCES her to be interested in it for my sake. Dad is very interested in the hobby, but I dont think he cares much to do things like memorize the sci names of Acros and what not. He sorta just says "Wow that shrimp is really cool...can you get that?" My little brother and sister want the things from Finding Nemo of course, and they love it when they see a fish that they know the name of. So everyone is getting into it, except my friends. They just dont understand it...I'm going to be left with friends in the reef club and none in my high school.

*looks down to the right* All I see is a skull with tribal designs around it......oh! you mean to the left I see it...and yes, she did fall for me. She also fell for another guy and filed for divorce

If you feel they are necessary then keep them up

My right, your left. Sorry...at least you knew what I was talking about. >.< It just goes to show you that people have fallen for you, so I proved your theory wrong. That would mean you should keep the tank signs up. Not like you have a tank for a sign anyway.

Ill take some pics of his tank as it is now in a couple weeks when I go over for a BBQ. Its not as mature as his old one was, but he still has some large pieces in it.

Sweet. I'd really like to see it. Does he have anything really special? Anything worth stealing a frag of? Or two or three? With time those colonies will be huge I'm sure. He can look up to Joe's acros over here, those are the biggest I've ever seen in person. Are you guys having a reef club bbq? We had an idea to have a reef club beach party, and everyone was going to drain NSW into holding bins in their trucks. Then the boys decided there weren't enough reefer chicks, and we ditched the NSW idea anyway. You guys could do that, except... you dont have beaches! Boo-yah.

Ive wanted a cube for quite awhile, especially a large cube. Im sure things will work out and I will get it up and running. I just need to deal with a lot of other things going on in my life right now before I start on it.

That's fair enough. I remember talking awhile back when I was deciding on my tank, and I know from the beginning you told me about how you're ideal dream tank would be a cube, and that's why I dont want you to give up on it. After all, if you decided not to do it, your whole new tank thread and all of our going back and forth would be for nothing. You wouldn't be able to use the stocking list I wrote/am writing, and you wouldn't be able to have a big group of Princess Anthias, as planned. It'd just throw a whole bunch of things off, and I really think you'd regret it in the long run. Keep your chin up and go with what you really want. You told me not to skimp out on my lights, so how could you turn around and skimp out on your tank? I'm looking up to you in this whole marine process, dont set a bad example by being a hypocrite. I'm looking forward to seeing this tank, it's going to be a cool one. Nobody in my reef club has a cube that I know of.

I can tell you that I will be very selective of what corals I add the the tank though.

I'll say! You didn't give me many options to pick from for this new tanks stocking list. We're basically stuck on acros for this tank huh. Well, not a problem, I do love my SPS and slowly but surely I think I'm going to become an SPS fanatic...It's just a struggle to make the list b/c so many of them are unidentified and only labeled as Acropora...that and I'm not exposed to very many of them. But I'm trying! It doesn't look like this tank will be running and ready for SPS for another couple months so I've got some time.

I know IT's a very important thing and I wont forget. Im still working on the stocking list, but Ill post it when im done

I guess eating is so important to me because of my sport. I have to eat my special foods during practices and meets, it's sorta like tradition. When I was younger our coaches really impacted our diet, and the fact that I have a mom who works in a hospital sort of helps the whole nutritional deal as well. Good nutrition keeps you healthy and in shape...heck, we feed our shishies good, why can't we feed ourselves well!?

Ok, Ill remind you a little later down the road.

Okay sounds like a plan.

Its nice to have someone to be able to talk to that you feel comfy discussing things with. The sharing shipping relationship is a bonus too

Ohhh yeah it rocks. With the price of online shipping it's really nice to have a buddy to share it with. I'm just really hoping I can convince him to dive with me too. Then things will be really good. Having a friend that you can bother for some beneficial bacteria or an extra powerhead really benefits you in this hobby. And of course, the obvious benefit is being able to swap frags when you get something cool. It also miraculously opens up home from problem fish...my friends blenny is a clam tipper like you cant imagine, I offered him my sump. Funny little guy, he's tiny but he loves Tridacnid Tipping.

Just keep researching Im sure things will get better, you just need to keep plugging away. Things will work out in the end, no matter where you are.

I'm starting to think that this hobby is more about research than it is patiences honestly. It just never ends...that's why I want that "pause" button. Just let me catch up for a second, and THEN make new things and discoveries. It'd be so much easier! *sigh* If I work at the new shop, I'll be exposed to a lot more. The store design is really cool; there's posters all over w/ Calfo quotes, there are boardwalk type bridges in between the tanks to sort of imitate a seawater feeling, and there's lots of really cool shaped display tanks in the stock area. The acclimation system he worked out is pretty cool too, as is the filter room. I <3 protein skimmers that are taller than me. The UV sterilizer is also something; I was always sketchy on those but it seems like it'll work in his case. I can't wait until the giant reef is finally set up and stocked, right now everything is just sort of curing. I'll be visiting tomorrow, so we'll see how things go. The sooner I can switch jobs the better; I'm tired of dreading work. As a little kid it shouldn't be that way.

Never would be the correct answer Advanced beginner is a good alternative though!

Hah! See! I knew it! You will never claim to be an expert. I dont even think Calfo does. I like the way advanced beginner sounds. It's creepy though, at work, everyone (meaning customers) that I talk to thinks I'm godly...it's so hard to explain to them that I honestly know next to nothing! I guess it's a common pet-store-employee stereotype, that the typical teen is hired who knows nothing. I've spent many hours explaining to people that this isn't just a hobby, it's more a lifestyle. I explain about the reef club and my goals and aspirations. Reefkeeping is not a normal hobby, it's a whole adventure...

It wont be too long before one of them does it......I even know what one it will be that they ID...Montipora Digitata It always seems to work that way!

LOL! I'll laugh so hard when you're right. Table top acros are pretty easy to ID. My brother and sister love to ID the fish, they aren't very good at it yet, but they will be. I'm trying to get them to differentiate between surgeon fish, angels, butterflys, wrasses, etc. Not really specific fish, just in general. I dont want them impulse buying for the tank so I'm trying to keep everyone on top of things. It's difficult, but it's so much fun. When they are comfortable with the word anenomefish instead of Nemo, I'll be satisfied.

You might not be able to take the tank with you, but corals and fish ship!

Definetely. Unless by some freak chance my Dad turns into an SPS nut, I'm going to have to ship out frags to friends like crazy. :%) I'm sure the guys in the club and others will help out, I've got some people in mind.

I think she will help to some extent, but it will be a couple weeks yet before I get her back.

Aww...well take your time Akia proofing everything so that she stays safe when she does come back. It's been a long time, just think of how rewarding it will be to hold her once more. I know she brings a smile to your face, how can you resist that fry stealing monster!

I know I dont have to let them all go, but sometimes it seems like it would make things easier. It will help when I am not having to go back and forth between houses anymore.

Flipping back and forth between houses doesn't sound fun...I've always been thankful that I'm not a divorced kid. I just know I'd leave something at one house...driving back and forth all the time must be a huge pain! How far away is the new house from the old one?

Working isnt done to pay for the pricey projects.....its done to pay the house payment Its a pretty big payment to be making by myself on top of all the other bills I have too!

I considered the new house a pricey project. I think things will get easier when you and Kip really get the business together. *kicks adulthood for ya*

Cool whip and strawberries sound good though...might have to do that later

Nothin' beats it. Especially when you get to eat them in front of a beatiful reef tank. Watching your slice of ocean with the perfect snack? What could be better!

Im sure there are...Im doing the best I can considering all that is going on right now.

Keep your chin up. If you give it your all you cant regret anything now can you? That's how I feel each time I do another routine. Even if I dont score too high, I know I did my best, so it makes me happy knowing that I tried. Things will pull through.

-Ferret

EDIT: There was 2 problems. I think I fixed it this time...

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

Last edited by Ferretfish at 15-May-2005 09:41

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Its not on this page

Yes I noticed that.

Not all free shirts are XXL..you just have to know people so you can get the smaller shirts

Not all...but most! When I make my next marine depot purchase, I'm going to request a small shirt in the little area that is left for notes and whatnot. We'll see if that works.

Not at all....I was the same way. It only makes you weird if you think its weird

Well...*shrugs* You lost me there. I know for a fact that I'm a VERY weird person, so I dont really care.

I didnt have a clue what I was getting into....till it was too late and I was in love with it. Now I cant get away from it, even if I dont have a tank.

Mmm...see, I knew exactly what I was getting into, it was my parents who did it. They're sitting there smacking themselves, wondering why they let this come about. But actually I think they'll appreciate it when it's set up, Dad attended NERAC and although he felt slightly (okay, maybe a little more than slightly) lost at times, I think he enjoyed it. After all, he did most of the plumbing on the tank!

Quite the opposite actually....she is very much into SPS, and also breeds berghia nudibranchs. You have actually listened to someone that dated her before...yup, Anthony Calfo.

She's an SPS freak...so I'm misssing something...why aren't you giving her a chance?

And no way! That's sickkk! *cant picture Calfo dating*

Bah, nobody is gonna fall for me.....no need for the warning.

Way to keep your chin up. I can think of several girls who have fallen for you Nathan Henry, and you know it. I can prove it. Do me a favor---put your chin on your chest and look a little to the right.

I'd put those warning signs up just in case.

I was talking to Cris Capp today and we were talking about that very thing...he told me to look forward to starting over and to stocking with things that I want instead of things that I thought were cool at the time. We talked about how both of us stocked and then looking back on it we didnt like half the stuff in our tanks I think hes crazy cause I had seen his tank in person before the crash....lets just say that the TOTM didnt do it justice.

Do you have updated pics from the new tank after the crash? I'm interested in having a peek. I think this crash has emotionally killed you, but I think it will be fun to restock and have everything exactly the way you want it, right? Now that you're more involved in the hobby things will be easier, and you've got much more room to work with too. Plus, think of how long you've wanted a cube for.

Ive been working on a list in between writing, working, and sleeping...oops, forgot eating . Ill post it when I am completely done with it. Ill add some corals that I think you would like also.

Please dont forget eating. IT's a very important thing. I cant wait to see the list. !!! Looking forward to it.

Yup, clubs are great.....arent you glad that someone pointed out NERAC and LIRA to you Im glad you found people that have been able to help you get the tank further along.

Mmm...yes I am glad. Remind me to thank that person one day, okay? *laughs* I've got a close friend in the reef club, who's a year younger than me. Sorta becoming like a relationship between you and Del, we order stuff together and whatnot. Share disounts from different LFS'...etc. It's cool.

You have learned much more than what I had talked to you about. Your endless researching and learning has pushed me to dig deeper and find more resources and "connections" to get the answers that I know you will have.

Endless researching is the only way to get involved with this hobby. My research came to a halt after the encounter with my boss...I'm pretty sure I'm switching shops. It's for the better though, in more ways than one.

Your levels shouldnt take to long to balance out after you get done cycling....they will take some monitoring for a little while while you are trying to establish a dosing schedule.

That's good...I dont want to rush things, but I've had this tank unfilled for so long it's killing me. I'll be happy if I can add corals in June...

Ill give myself a pat on the back when I dont consider myself a beginner anymore

And when will that be? Something tells me never...I will refer to myself as an "advanced beginner"

Things are overpriced here too...Once you are in the hobby for awhile and all the locals know you its amazing at what connections you end up having. Most of the stores here that I go to when im shopping locally will give me a discount just because they know me and know Im not a "fly by night" customer.

Yeah, well the new store that I want to work out is one of the few if not the only marine dominated stores on the island. I'm sure I'll get a hearty discount there if I get the job. Still, even with discounts, it still seems like on line is cheaper, especially in bulk. If we show our LIRA club cards to certain stores we get special discounts there too. How cool is that?!

You could get away with not having one with the size of your tank, but it would be much more stable and easier on you if you had one..and yes, there is always something else that you can use on your tank no matter how many toys you already have.

Yes...that's what I figured. Well, I guess we will cross that bridge when we get there. >.< The toys are neverending...it's sickening. What bothers me more is how overpriced some of these toys are, many dealers are making a fortune and making the hobby nearly impossible for us pricewise...

I remember talking to you when you werent nodding and grinning when asked if you were following You will be suprised at how much your family learns just from being around you and the tank. I even have my mom to where she knows certain Acropora species and almost all the fish that are available to the hobby

The day someone from my family ID's their first acro I will cry in happiness. Everyone is sorta into it, it's really good to get the whole family involved. I've gotta keep them happy b/c when I go away for college, something tells me I cant bring it with me.

There isnt anything normal about my life, especially recently. I know what you are saying though. I think it will help just getting Akia back...atleast a little.

I've found something normal...you're struggling. Life wasn't meant to be easy. Might be a hard concept to accept, but everyones gotta deal with it. Remember in Bruce Almighty? "God is picking on me." Things will get better...Akia will help, I know she will. There was a definite change in your attitude the day she left, I remember.

The old house was stressful.....a lot of memories that come with it. Some (most recent) I want to hang onto, but then again others are best left behind.

You dont have to drop all the memories, just the ones that bring back nightmares. After all, that house was the one that housed L. spp.

Im sure that once the tank gets set up (if) It will help a little bit....Its gonna be mighty empty for awhile though. And Akia will def. help. I miss her barking and sitting in my lap.

I know you do. She'll be back soon. Dont worry. Keep the music on, keep yourself busy, and stay in the hobby. Stop skipping meetings; you need to give yourself some time to relax. Sit down with some cool whip and strawberries and give yourself a rest Nate! You're turning into a workaholic...I know you're doing some pricey projects but dont be unhealthy. There's people who care about you.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
ROFL! I'll let you know when I'm ready. *thinks* Oh oh I remember, there was that thread, where you won the thing at the meeting, and you asked for black or something.

Good memory I am starting to get quite the collection of shirts from online vendors It seems I can always con a shirt out of them

Yeah, the bowfront does have a really cool aquascaping potential. It'll take many hours of playing around but heck, that's what I'm used to so who cares. I feel like my tank has no room.

No matter what tank you have, aquascaping will always take playing around with..and not just hours You will mess around with it for weeks trying to get it just the way you like it. I had my 180 set up for 7 months then decided to take everything out and re-aquascape it...talk about a chore!

Yep, this is just my practice tank. I've got so many planned out already for years to come.

Good, Im glad you are planning future setups already I hope everything works out and you can have a house full of tanks and frags

Well I've got lights and flow covered...lets see if I can handle water quality. I've got test kits for everything I think...I'm still scared though. No SPS till at least August anyway though...

Water quality will be a piece of cake once the tank settles down and you get the balance. You understand the concept, you just need to put it into action. You can do it, I know you can

how come he doesn't have it covered w/ coralline anyway? SPS sucking up too much calcium for that?

Yup, same reason I didnt have any growing in my tank except on the rock....Calcium gets sucked up kinda fast with SPS.

Lol, well I'm sure they'll like everything you suggest. This tank isn't really about the fish anyway. I can't wait to hear some of your ideas

I hope YOU like everything I suggest...I remember going through Reef Fishes so I think I have a pretty good idea of things you like Ill start working on a list soon...hopefully things will settle down a bit and Ill have more time to research and post.

Nate? Want to pay for the rest of my reef tank so that I still have money after I get fired for slapping him? If the answer is yes, then sure! I'll even slap him with a koi, his favorite. We always joke with him that he has a koi tattoo on his butt...he gets angry at us.

You know I would if it was possible....I dont mind giving away freebies to fellow reefers.

Okay...but I dont have a calc or kalk reactor thingy yet...

What can I dose?

There are two products that I would recommend....well ok, 3 products.

The first two are a two part calcium and alkalinity supplement that you dose directly to the tank in a high flow area. The two brands that I would suggest is B-Ionic or Oceans Blend.....both are comparable but IMO/IME the Oceans Blend is cheaper and lasts longer. Calcium and Kalk reactors just make life a little easier because you dont have to dose.

You could also talk to Joe (or others in your club) and have them help you set up a drip system for dosing kalkwasser. This would do a couple things....keep your calcium up, keep your PH up and not have a night day swing, and also keep your alk up. Kalkwasser also helps precipitate phosphate and will help your skimmer pull it from the water

Good good, we're on the same track then. Sounds like a plan!

If we are on the same track......I hope we are going the same direction

Nice nice. Maybe I could send him an email for starters. I'll do that when the time comes closer. Ohh now I'm excited.

Im sure Serdar will be more than willing to answer any questions you have. Its good to see you excited about the tank again....I know its been a rough road.

I am Princess Ball Valve! *giggles*

Okay so if Del's the Captain, and I'm the Princess, who are you?!

Prince Ball Valve?:88)

[hr width='40%']

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
! *pictures Nate's closet* Marine Depot, Phishy Business...hahaha At NERAC the Cyclop-eez guys were there wearing the Got Pods? t-shirts, those are amazing.

thats about how it is too...I have probably 15 Sea Dwelling Creatures shirts, 3 Phishybusiness shirts, 2 XM metal halide shirts, atleast 5 Marine depot shirts, Oceanic, Kent, Tropic Marin, and Instant Ocean shirts....too many others to list.

Ouchies. >.< Yeah I think I can count on that happening...especially with the way I can be a perfectionist.

Even if you werent a perfectionist I think you would still re-aquascape atleast once. It helps if you have nice shapes and sizes of rock to work with though.

It's impossible to NOT form future set ups...I mean, if you see something you like, but it's not compatible with the other things you like...BOOM! New tank! Or at least, that's the way I see it. Why limit yourself?

I know exactly what you are saying....the only reason I would limit myself is because of time. If I get too many tanks going with nobody to help me keep up on them then I know what will happen....there will be atleast one that gets neglected. Ill just have to wait till I have some help.

That's what I figured...will I get good coralline growth on the back if I wait on SPS for a couple months...?

You should start to get some coraline growth in a couple months....it just depends on the tank though. Keep your magnesium, alk, and calcium up and you shouldnt have any problems with coraline. Im assuming you will start out with frags and small aquacultured colonies? You shouldnt have any problems keeping coraline until those get bigger. I had coraline for probably the first 6 months the tank was set up. Once everything started getting big then the coraline started to die down. I can deal without having coraline on the tank.....as long as the SPS are growing

Yes yes...I trust you in doing a good job. And I mean c'mon, basically anything pink purple or blue appeals to me.

Ill pick a nice sized list and let you chose from it I know what you like, but the fish are for the family so they have to like them too

That's the only way to have a nice tank in this hobby. Awww, Nate should be Fish Profile Sweetheart. Everyone at work has names like that.

It does help out. I know that the hobby can be expensive so I like to help people out and give stuff away that Im not using....either that or sell it dirt cheap.

Im not a sweetheart...I'm....well....I'm just me.

Okay, I know I've seen the B-ionic one at work, and yeah it's a two part thing by Kent I think. I always look at the Kent supplements b/c the bottles are so colorful and attractive. I haven't seen the other one, but of course if we dont carry it I can order it in from somewhere else. But...

B-Ionic works fine...I used it for 2 years and was happy with it. B-ionic also sells dosers, but I havent ever used one. The Oceans Blend seems to last longer and is cheaper than the B-Ionic. Kents A & B works well, but it seems to take more to get the same results. *shrugs* I'd use whatever is available to you.

Yes yes...that sounds like a much better idea. Initially I wouldn't mind dosing, but overtime it's going to get annoying, especially when I have to trust other people to do it. So...how soon should I do that...? I'll bring it up to "the boys" when it's time, I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Dosing isnt too bad.....it depends on the tank and how the animals use up the calcium and how stable your alk is. If you use a drip system for Kalkwasser it does make things a little easier....the hardest part is setting up the drip rate to match your evaporation (or close to it). You will still have to mix Kalkwasser water, but thats pretty simple.

Good...I cant wait to talk to him. And yes...this tank has been a rough road, and it's hard to make progress when you're unhappy about the way things are going. >.< Sometimes if you remember to keep your chin up, and "just keep swimming" things are a bit easier though. I promise.

Those are both good things to remember....I hope that both of us can remember them and find our way to a road that travels a little more smooth.

Oh you're cool now! *giggles* Yeah I guess you can be Prince BV. Or King BV, whichever you prefer. Or co captain!

I like Prince BV Ill take the thrown in a couple years when Del retires

[hr width='40%']

Last edited by DarkRealm Overlord at 08-May-2005 10:28
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
thats about how it is too...I have probably 15 Sea Dwelling Creatures shirts, 3 Phishybusiness shirts, 2 XM metal halide shirts, atleast 5 Marine depot shirts, Oceanic, Kent, Tropic Marin, and Instant Ocean shirts....too many others to list.

You're too funny. How did you end up w/ so many Sea Dwelling Creature ones?! *steals a few*

Even if you werent a perfectionist I think you would still re-aquascape atleast once. It helps if you have nice shapes and sizes of rock to work with though.

Most likely. I change the reef tank at work at least once a week, and it's not even my tank. I'm doomed!

I know exactly what you are saying....the only reason I would limit myself is because of time. If I get too many tanks going with nobody to help me keep up on them then I know what will happen....there will be atleast one that gets neglected. Ill just have to wait till I have some help.

You better find some help then! I want to see those tanks! Get yourself a chick from the reef club and set up some tanks so I have something to be inspired by.

You should start to get some coraline growth in a couple months....it just depends on the tank though. Keep your magnesium, alk, and calcium up and you shouldnt have any problems with coraline. Im assuming you will start out with frags and small aquacultured colonies? You shouldnt have any problems keeping coraline until those get bigger. I had coraline for probably the first 6 months the tank was set up. Once everything started getting big then the coraline started to die down. I can deal without having coraline on the tank.....as long as the SPS are growing

Yeah...of course, I forgot, patience is everything. I'll start out with small frags from the guys in the club, several people were willing to donate things to get me started. When I come home from Long Lake and camp, I'll start with some SPS, and maybe a clam for mom's sake. And when I find the bubble coral I'm looking for I'll snatch that up too.

Ill pick a nice sized list and let you chose from it I know what you like, but the fish are for the family so they have to like them too

Yupp. I'm sure I can convince one of them to like anything that I like though. And ultimately? It's my tank and my decision.

It does help out. I know that the hobby can be expensive so I like to help people out and give stuff away that Im not using....either that or sell it dirt cheap.

I think reef clubs do that to you. All the guys in the club are just like that, it's really nice.

Im not a sweetheart...I'm....well....I'm just me.

Yes, but I can remember more than one incident when you helped out others, on this site and in your own club. Not even going to mention all the things you've helped me with.

B-Ionic works fine...I used it for 2 years and was happy with it. B-ionic also sells dosers, but I havent ever used one. The Oceans Blend seems to last longer and is cheaper than the B-Ionic. Kents A & B works well, but it seems to take more to get the same results. *shrugs* I'd use whatever is available to you.

I'm just not around enough to keep up with dosing. In the beginning I'll use whatever is readily available, because that just makes the most sense.

Dosing isnt too bad.....it depends on the tank and how the animals use up the calcium and how stable your alk is. If you use a drip system for Kalkwasser it does make things a little easier....the hardest part is setting up the drip rate to match your evaporation (or close to it). You will still have to mix Kalkwasser water, but thats pretty simple.

I dont mind doing that though. I think I'll start out dosing, just so I can get to know some of the guys more and get some ideas. When I trust them with my tank, and I can figure out evap and things are stable, I'll do the kalk drip. Sound like a plan?

Those are both good things to remember....I hope that both of us can remember them and find our way to a road that travels a little more smooth.

Yes. No more tank disasters, okay?

I like Prince BV Ill take the thrown in a couple years when Del retires

Haha, sounds like a plan. We need a king and queen though! *wonders who else would qualify* Hmmmm

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Okay...well I took a couple more pictures so I thought I'd share the updates...

First, here is a shot of the skirt, unpainted and missing it's panels, but to show off the architecture I guess. Since it was DIY.

Second, here's the bottom of the stand. We put a whole bunch of "Moving Men" on the bottom. We evenly distributed the weight, and because of this my dad can move the entire tank by himself. It's rather cool.

The next two pictures are of my tanks after I washed them so we could get all the nasties out. I had fun with the hose.

The Main Tank:

And The Sump Tank:

I know I'm going to regret showing this next picture, but it was a vital step! There was much painting to be done; we had to repaint the entire stand, the back of the tank, and the skirt. In addition, before that we did much sanding, and Dad put the deWalt sander thingy in my hands. He also dressed me up rather funny, and my sister grabbed a picture. *hides* Here it goes...

Okay...so after I was all dressed up, it was time to paint.

Initial Coat:

Final Coat:

So then, we painted the back of the tank, many times over, and the stand...and then we filled it! It might be hard to tell from this shot, but it is actually running. All three pumps.

And just so you believe me...here's a pic of underneath.

It's a complicated mess, but I love it.

And so much for having an organized 1/3 sump 2/3's refugium. It's sorta just disaster area down there now. Oh well. It's running, it's working, I'm happy. Sort of.

Sooooo tell me what you think, I'll add more pictures as things move along.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

[/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font][/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
You're too funny. How did you end up w/ so many Sea Dwelling Creature ones?! *steals a few*

One of the co-owners of SDC came out to visit the store because I kept bugging him to come and check it out. We ended up being pretty good friends so everytime I would place an order I would order through him. It got to the point where he would go out to the holding tanks and describe the corals to me, color, health, size, etc on the phone with me and yank them for bagging if I said yes to them. Being pretty good friends with him I would always bug him to send free shirts about once a month I guess when you order over $4000 worth of stuff every week they dont mind sending free stuff.

Most likely. I change the reef tank at work at least once a week, and it's not even my tank. I'm doomed!

You should have known you were doomed when you started thinking about doing SW It will be rewarding for you though and you wont be disappointed.

You better find some help then! I want to see those tanks! Get yourself a chick from the reef club and set up some tanks so I have something to be inspired by.

Oh, you are funny There are not any reef chics here...well, there is one who is interested, but im not interested in her. Why settle? Id much rather wait for the perfect one to fall into my tanks

Yeah...of course, I forgot, patience is everything. I'll start out with small frags from the guys in the club, several people were willing to donate things to get me started. When I come home from Long Lake and camp, I'll start with some SPS, and maybe a clam for mom's sake. And when I find the bubble coral I'm looking for I'll snatch that up too.

Clubs are usually pretty good about that.....but dont feel obligated to take something that you really dont want. If you plan on an SPS dominated tank, I'd stay away from mushrooms since they like to come off the rock and float around till they find a new place. As long as you keep zoanthids, ricordia and such on the sand bed you should be fine.

Yupp. I'm sure I can convince one of them to like anything that I like though. And ultimately? It's my tank and my decision.

Im sure you can....and yes, ultimately it is your tank. You still have to keep them happy though

Yes, but I can remember more than one incident when you helped out others, on this site and in your own club. Not even going to mention all the things you've helped me with

True....It has paid off too. Its nice to know that people in the club care and offer to frag anything you want to replace what was lost.

I havent really helped you.....if anything you helped me.

I'm just not around enough to keep up with dosing. In the beginning I'll use whatever is readily available, because that just makes the most sense.

Dosing isnt too bad. Once you get your levels up to where you want them you probably wont have to dose everyday. No need to order online when you can buy locally and save some money

I dont mind doing that though. I think I'll start out dosing, just so I can get to know some of the guys more and get some ideas. When I trust them with my tank, and I can figure out evap and things are stable, I'll do the kalk drip. Sound like a plan?

Sounds like a plan to me.....atleast till you get your calcium reactor set up *cough* which I have that is brand new and is now underrated for the new tank.

Yes. No more tank disasters, okay?

I hope not....I cant deal with anymore disasters. Dealing with what has been going on now has been hard enough. I know for a fact that I couldnt deal with anything like this again atlest anytime soon.

Haha, sounds like a plan. We need a king and queen though! *wonders who else would qualify* Hmmmm

I thought it sounded like a plan....I dont know who would qualify as the King or Queen. Bah, who needs a King or Queen anyway?

[hr width='40%']
Your brown hair and your beautiful eyes
Just send chills down my spine.
The sight of you makes me weak.
My hands shiver, and I cannot speak.

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
Side note---this thread is really annoying now that the pictures messed the screen size up. >.<

One of the co-owners of SDC came out to visit the store because I kept bugging him to come and check it out. We ended up being pretty good friends so everytime I would place an order I would order through him. It got to the point where he would go out to the holding tanks and describe the corals to me, color, health, size, etc on the phone with me and yank them for bagging if I said yes to them. Being pretty good friends with him I would always bug him to send free shirts about once a month I guess when you order over $4000 worth of stuff every week they dont mind sending free stuff.

Hey, I'd say that's a good reason! You can wear a different shirt to every reef club meeting. The only bad part about free shirts is that they usually send out XXL. In my case, these end up being dresses instead of shirts. Then I have to do "surgery" on them. Bleck.

You should have known you were doomed when you started thinking about doing SW It will be rewarding for you though and you wont be disappointed.

Yeah...I think I basically knew I was doomed, but for some reason I was looking forward to it? Does that make me weird. I knew what I was getting myself into but it didn't stop me. In a couple years from now I'm going to be thinking "Imagine the car I could be driving if..." Oh well. Live for today, not tomorrow.

Oh, you are funny. There are not any reef chics here...well, there is one who is interested, but im not interested in her. Why settle? Id much rather wait for the perfect one to fall into my tanks

Why aren't you interested in her? Is she an LPS freak. Fall into the tanks huh? Ladies watch out...falling for DRO means getting a face full of live rock.

Clubs are usually pretty good about that.....but dont feel obligated to take something that you really dont want. If you plan on an SPS dominated tank, I'd stay away from mushrooms since they like to come off the rock and float around till they find a new place. As long as you keep zoanthids, ricordia and such on the sand bed you should be fine.

Zoas and rics were the main things that I was going to take. Besides, I can always bring things to work if I dont want them in the end...although I'm going to do my best to only take what I want.

Im sure you can....and yes, ultimately it is your tank. You still have to keep them happy though

That is true...the one thing I think they'd like to see is "Nemo" but my favorite anenomefish is the pink skunk...and they dont really have a huge resemblance. And any of the other Finding Nemo fish are out of the picture already...Now it's basically lots of eye catchers, fish with nice colors (like anthias ) or maybe some with interesting behavior...although that would seem to fall more in the inverts category. >.< You can suggest whatever. Corals too! Now you've got your hands full.

True....It has paid off too. Its nice to know that people in the club care and offer to frag anything you want to replace what was lost.

Yeah. I'm looking forward to really getting to know the people in my club, the conference was really the first time I got to meet them. The best part is we all live within 45 minutes of each other since we're on Long Island. Everyones got someone else less than 10 minutes away, so if you're in a pinch and need a spare part or supplement, or even just a hand, someone will always be there for you. Everyone browses the forums all the time too, so it doesn't take long to recieve a PM confirming help is on the way.

I havent really helped you.....if anything you helped me.

Yeah right! Okay you keep telling yourself that. I think it's pretty obvious that you took me under your wing and introduced me to the dark side. Sure, now my knowledge is slowly catching up with yours, and I have to keep you researching, but the basics of what I know came from listening to you, reading your posts, and reading Calfo's books. You gotta give yourself some more credit Nate! Give yourself a pat on the back for me will ya?

Dosing isnt too bad. Once you get your levels up to where you want them you probably wont have to dose everyday. No need to order online when you can buy locally and save some money

Hopefully levels will go where I want them very quickly, b/c once summer comes I wont be around much. School lets out and we're heading up state and then it's camp...at least I'll have time to let the pods build up and whatnot. If I'm around I dont mind the dosing. ANd I would buy locally, but honestly I'd probably save more money buying it online and paying for shipping. Things are way overpriced out here. You'd be scared if you saw. I mean, live rock for example, take that. It's common for $8.99 a pound and up! Dry goods are just as bad most of the time. I'll look up the prices for B-ionic when I go to work next.

Sounds like a plan to me.....atleast till you get your calcium reactor set up *cough* which I have that is brand new and is now underrated for the new tank.

*cough* How long till I need one of those *cough* Seems like there's always one more thing that needs to be added on. Constantly. *sigh* I've put off learning about calc and kalk reactors b/c my brain just hasn't been able to take new info recently. >.< At the conference Dad's mind was just overwhelmed with everything we were talking about, he kept asking me, "Do you know what they're talking about??" And I got to nod and grin.

I hope not....I cant deal with anymore disasters. Dealing with what has been going on now has been hard enough. I know for a fact that I couldnt deal with anything like this again atlest anytime soon.

Tank crashes are rough...that's all it comes down too. I think now that you're settling into your new house, bringing Akia back, and returning back to normal life things will work out for you. The old house was really stressful, and you know that it was worth moving out of. Once you've got your little Akia back and you can hear overflows running again I think you'll be fine, no?

I thought it sounded like a plan....I dont know who would qualify as the King or Queen. Bah, who needs a King or Queen anyway?

*shrugs* I guess we dont need one then. We can stick with The Captain, The Prince and Princess. Everyone shall bow down to us b/c we're royal now. Dang we make a great team! Together we shall plumb every tank in the nation. Or...maybe not. Lets just stick with our reef clubs.

[hr width='40%']
[font color="#000080"]
My hopes are so high,
So won't you kill me,
so I die happy…
[/font]

DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Side note---this thread is really annoying now that the pictures messed the screen size up. >.<

Its not on this page

Hey, I'd say that's a good reason! You can wear a different shirt to every reef club meeting. The only bad part about free shirts is that they usually send out XXL. In my case, these end up being dresses instead of shirts. Then I have to do "surgery" on them. Bleck.

Not all free shirts are XXL..you just have to know people so you can get the smaller shirts

Yeah...I think I basically knew I was doomed, but for some reason I was looking forward to it? Does that make me weird.

Not at all....I was the same way. It only makes you weird if you think its weird

I knew what I was getting myself into but it didn't stop me. In a couple years from now I'm going to be thinking "Imagine the car I could be driving if..."

I didnt have a clue what I was getting into....till it was too late and I was in love with it. Now I cant get away from it, even if I dont have a tank.

Why aren't you interested in her? Is she an LPS freak.

Quite the opposite actually....she is very much into SPS, and also breeds berghia nudibranchs. You have actually listened to someone that dated her before...yup, Anthony Calfo.

Fall into the tanks huh? Ladies watch out...falling for DRO means getting a face full of live rock.

Bah, nobody is gonna fall for me.....no need for the warning.

Zoas and rics were the main things that I was going to take. Besides, I can always bring things to work if I dont want them in the end...although I'm going to do my best to only take what I want.

I was talking to Cris Capp today and we were talking about that very thing...he told me to look forward to starting over and to stocking with things that I want instead of things that I thought were cool at the time. We talked about how both of us stocked and then looking back on it we didnt like half the stuff in our tanks I think hes crazy cause I had seen his tank in person before the crash....lets just say that the TOTM didnt do it justice.

Now it's basically lots of eye catchers, fish with nice colors (like anthias ) or maybe some with interesting behavior...although that would seem to fall more in the inverts category. >.< You can suggest whatever. Corals too! Now you've got your hands full.

Ive been working on a list inbetween writing, working, and sleeping...oops, forgot eating . Ill post it when I am completely done with it. Ill add some corals that I think you would like also.

Yeah. I'm looking forward to really getting to know the people in my club, the conference was really the first time I got to meet them. The best part is we all live within 45 minutes of each other since we're on Long Island. Everyones got someone else less than 10 minutes away, so if you're in a pinch and need a spare part or supplement, or even just a hand, someone will always be there for you. Everyone browses the forums all the time too, so it doesn't take long to recieve a PM confirming help is on the way.

Yup, clubs are great.....arent you glad that someone pointed out NERAC and LIRA to you Im glad you found people that have been able to help you get the tank further along.

Yeah right! Okay you keep telling yourself that. I think it's pretty obvious that you took me under your wing and introduced me to the dark side. Sure, now my knowledge is slowly catching up with yours, and I have to keep you researching, but the basics of what I know came from listening to you, reading your posts, and reading Calfo's books. You gotta give yourself some more credit Nate! Give yourself a pat on the back for me will ya?

You have learned much more than what I had talked to you about. Your endless researching and learning has pushed me to dig deeper and find more resources and "connections" to get the answers that I know you will have.

Ill give myself a pat on the back when I dont consider myself a beginner anymore

Hopefully levels will go where I want them very quickly, b/c once summer comes I wont be around much.

Your levels shouldnt take to long to balance out after you get done cycling....they will take some monitoring for a little while while you are trying to establish a dosing schedule.

Things are way overpriced out here. You'd be scared if you saw. I mean, live rock for example, take that. It's common for $8.99 a pound and up! Dry goods are just as bad most of the time. I'll look up the prices for B-ionic when I go to work next.

Things are overpriced here too...Once you are in the hobby for awhile and all the locals know you its amazing at what connections you end up having. Most of the stores here that I go to when im shopping locally will give me a discount just because they know me and know Im not a "fly by night" customer.

*cough* How long till I need one of those *cough* Seems like there's always one more thing that needs to be added on.

You could get away with not having one with the size of your tank, but it would be much more stable and easier on you if you had one..and yes, there is always something else that you can use on your tank no matter how many toys you already have.

At the conference Dad's mind was just overwhelmed with everything we were talking about, he kept asking me, "Do you know what they're talking about??" And I got to nod and grin.

I remember talking to you when you werent nodding and grinning when asked if you were following You will be suprised at how much your family learns just from being around you and the tank. I even have my mom to where she knows certain Acropora species and almost all the fish that are available to the hobby

Tank crashes are rough...that's all it comes down too. I think now that you're settling into your new house, bringing Akia back, and returning back to normal life things will work out for you.

There isnt anything normal about my life, especially recently. I know what you are saying though. I think it will help just getting Akia back...atleast a little.

The old house was really stressful, and you know that it was worth moving out of. Once you've got your little Akia back and you can hear overflows running again I think you'll be fine, no?

The old house was stressful.....a lot of memories that come with it. Some (most recent) I want to hang onto, but then again others are best left behind.

Im sure that once the tank gets set up (if) It will help a little bit....Its gonna be mighty empty for awhile though. And Akia will def. help. I miss her barking and sitting in my lap.

[hr width='40%']
Your brown hair and your beautiful eyes
Just send chills down my spine.
The sight of you makes me weak.
My hands shiver, and I cannot speak.
DarkRealm Overlord

---------------
---------------
metal-R-us
male usa us-colorado
Not all...but most! When I make my next marine depot purchase, I'm going to request a small shirt in the little area that is left for notes and whatnot. We'll see if that works.

Im sure they will hook you up with a shirt.....whether its a small or not I dont know

Mmm...see, I knew exactly what I was getting into, it was my parents who did it. They're sitting there smacking themselves, wondering why they let this come about. But actually I think they'll appreciate it when it's set up, Dad attended NERAC and although he felt slightly (okay, maybe a little more than slightly) lost at times, I think he enjoyed it. After all, he did most of the plumbing on the tank!

It will take them awhile, but they will start to pick things up. I think they are excited about it more than they let on.

She's an SPS freak...so I'm misssing something...why aren't you giving her a chance?

And no way! That's sickkk! *cant picture Calfo dating*

*shrugs* I dont know...its not that shes not good looking or fun to be around, because she is. Im just not interested in seeing anyone.

And yeah, her and Calfo dated for close to a year I believe. *shrugs*

Way to keep your chin up. I can think of several girls who have fallen for you Nathan Henry, and you know it. I can prove it. Do me a favor---put your chin on your chest and look a little to the right.

*looks down to the right* All I see is a skull with tribal designs around it......oh! you mean to the left I see it...and yes, she did fall for me. She also fell for another guy and filed for divorce

I'd put those warning signs up just in case.

If you feel they are necessary then keep them up

Do you have updated pics from the new tank after the crash? I'm interested in having a peek. I think this crash has emotionally killed you, but I think it will be fun to restock and have everything exactly the way you want it, right? Now that you're more involved in the hobby things will be easier, and you've got much more room to work with too. Plus, think of how long you've wanted a cube for.

Ill take some pics of his tank as it is now in a couple weeks when I go over for a BBQ. Its not as mature as his old one was, but he still has some large pieces in it.

Ive wanted a cube for quite awhile, especially a large cube. Im sure things will work out and I will get it up and running. I just need to deal with a lot of other things going on in my life right now before I start on it.

I can tell you that I will be very selective of what corals I add the the tank though.

Please dont forget eating. IT's a very important thing. I cant wait to see the list. !!! Looking forward to it

I know IT's a very important thing and I wont forget. Im still working on the stocking list, but Ill post it when im done

Mmm...yes I am glad. Remind me to thank that person one day, okay? *laughs* I've got a close friend in the reef club, who's a year younger than me. Sorta becoming like a relationship between you and Del, we order stuff together and whatnot. Share disounts from different LFS'...etc. It's cool.

Ok, Ill remind you a little later down the road.

Its nice to have someone to be able to talk to that you feel comfy discussing things with. The sharing shipping relationship is a bonus too

Endless researching is the only way to get involved with this hobby. My research came to a halt after the encounter with my boss...I'm pretty sure I'm switching shops. It's for the better though, in more ways than one.

Just keep researching Im sure things will get better, you just need to keep plugging away. Things will work out in the end, no matter where you are.

And when will that be? Something tells me never...I will refer to myself as an "advanced beginner"

Never would be the correct answer Advanced beginner is a good alternative though!

The day someone from my family ID's their first acro I will cry in happiness. Everyone is sorta into it, it's really good to get the whole family involved. I've gotta keep them happy b/c when I go away for college, something tells me I cant bring it with me.

It wont be too long before one of them does it......I even know what one it will be that they ID...Montipora Digitata It always seems to work that way!

You might not be able to take the tank with you, but corals and fish ship!

I've found something normal...you're struggling. Life wasn't meant to be easy. Might be a hard concept to accept, but everyones gotta deal with it. Remember in Bruce Almighty? "God is picking on me." Things will get better...Akia will help, I know she will. There was a definite change in your attitude the day she left, I remember.

I think she will help to some extent, but it will be a couple weeks yet before I get her back.

You dont have to drop all the memories, just the ones that bring back nightmares. After all, that house was the one that housed L. spp.

I know I dont have to let them all go, but sometimes it seems like it would make things easier. It will help when I am not having to go back and forth between houses anymore.

I know you do. She'll be back soon. Dont worry. Keep the music on, keep yourself busy, and stay in the hobby. Stop skipping meetings; you need to give yourself some time to relax. Sit down with some cool whip and strawberries and give yourself a rest Nate! You're turning into a workaholic...I know you're doing some pricey projects but dont be unhealthy.

Working isnt done to pay for the pricey projects.....its done to pay the house payment Its a pretty big payment to be making by myself on top of all the other bills I have too!

Cool whip and strawberries sound good though...might have to do that later

There's people who care about you.

Im sure there are...Im doing the best I can considering all that is going on right now.

[hr width='40%']
Outsiders still suppose,
There's Holy streets to roam
The truth should not surprise,
Your homes were built on lies
nano reefer
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 570
Votes: 3
male uk
pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics pics !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]:|]:|]:|:%):%):88)]:
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 143
Votes: 61
male usa
^what he said^

Nick
"Impossumable- unable to play dead"
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
okay okay

I'll go take some now.

All my online forums are bugging me.

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
oops...

my parents took the camera to the wedding they're at, so once again we're gunna have to wait

sorry guys

terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
kidding

*changed image tags to lower case so the pic would work

Last edited by DarkRealm Overlord at 08-Oct-2005 21:42[/font]

reel big mark
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 112
male usa
oooo, that looks amazing
good job/:'

its me sk8freak20...i need to get premie so i can change my name back
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile Homepage AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
swiftshark88
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 143
Votes: 61
male usa
yay! it looks awesome!

nick

Nick
"Impossumable- unable to play dead"
Post InfoPosted 26-Jan-2006 11:28Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
female usa
that's actinics only

i'll get a mh pic up sooner or later

# Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies