Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribe"Flaking" Heater?
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 40
female usa
Hey everyone just a quick question.

The heater on my 20g filter (100w Tetra Whisper) is "flaking" where the, uh, i guess paint like stuff on the heater is coming off. I've had the heater for about 2 or 3 years so is this okay or what?

I'd also like to say hi to every one cause I haven't been on FP is over 6 months... hope i didn't miss much

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2009 03:43Profile PM Edit Report 
cichlidaddicted
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 9
Votes: 0
EditedEdited by cichlidaddicted
are you sure that its the paint and not dead algae or mineral deposits thats flaking off?

Tetra usually makes fairly good products, so i wouldnt think that it would have paint flaking off in as little as 3 years.

what is the color of the flakes?
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2009 04:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Take the heater out and give it a good cleaning and I dont think it will be paint I have had a brittle sticker come off.
You can use any of the bathroom glass scouring pads, these will not scratch the glass.

Don't forget when you put it back into the tank let it sit there for at least 15min before you turn it back on this allows the heater glass to come to the tank temp so that it will not break the heater.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2009 04:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
thanks guys but its not mineral deposits or algea - i've seen those before. i'm not sure how to describe it but it is like a film that was there when I got the heater. it is like this paint/plastic criss-cross design...thing.

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2009 04:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
yes ive had that happen b4.i thought it was from the heater temp. after awhile i think it just gets old andd flakes
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2009 04:39Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Ira
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 181
Votes: 1
male newzealand
Some have a kind of painted design on the glass, Might be a sticker instead of paint...Doesn't matter if it comes off, it's purely decorative and harmless.
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2009 12:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
great, i'm glad its just decoration.
Thanks guys!

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 05-Jan-2009 18:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
MoFish
-----
Hobbyist
female usa
actually i figured out that it is the protective coating that keeps the heater from feeling hot. I was picking up my heater (in the water of course) to adjust the temp and the part without the coating was hot and the part with the coating was neutral.

~Morgan~
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 00:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Cichlid Kid
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 285
Votes: 34
male usa
cool,just try to keep it out of the tank, if you see some just remov it thatshat i did.
Post InfoPosted 13-Jan-2009 05:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies