AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# General
 L# Technical Tinkering
  L# Advice on UV Sterilizers please!!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAdvice on UV Sterilizers please!!
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
EditedEdited by Mitchee
Hi everyone

I've decided that I need a UV sterilizer. My tank is currently infected with gill flukes and I'm upset beyond all reason. I have read the article "All you ever wanted to know about UV Sterilizers" and I understand that it would take care of any free floating parasites, however I'm not sure what I need in a unit. I have a 42G tall tank, with an AquaClear 50 HOB filter and a Hagen Maxima airpump. I do know that I want a system that is fairly compact, can be easily connected to my HOB filter and not require a powerhead or other piece of equipment for it to function. The unit must of course be powerful enough to destroy parasites.

Could someone please find it in their hearts to recommend a unit that's available from Big Al's and explain to me the steps I need to take in connecting it?

Can't thank you enough!!

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2006 08:14Profile PM Edit Report 
gauntlet
---------------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 277
Votes: 8
male usa
I hate to tell you but I think you would have to atleast buy submersible pump or canister filter. All the UV steralizers I have seen need some form of unit to push water through them.
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2006 10:10Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Mitchee
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 75
Votes: 99
female canada
Well, if that's what I need to do then so be it. I'll do anything right now because as of this morning I've lost 6 fish to suspected gill flukes and I'm expecting more deaths. So, with the info. provided on my tank, what exactly do I need as far as equipment please?

Thanks!

*Mitch*
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2006 15:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
Mitchee,

Simplest thing is to purchase a Jebo sterilizer. The kit includes a power head that is sized to the unit. The good news is that the unit is inexpensive, the bad news is that it is shoddy.

You may want to consider purchasing a Coralife twist unit plus a powerhead. It is much more expensive but a much better value.

I don't know that the unit will eliminate the "suspected" gill flukes. You may want to fully diagnose the fish and treat them in a hospital tank before investing in the sterilizer.

Post InfoPosted 14-May-2006 17:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies