Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAir stones/curtains
mews
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
Votes: 1
male australia
I didnt go for air and bubbles cause it looks sad.. and not natural. but thats because the bubbles are often too fast and too big.
Then one day I placed a rock in the tank and it emitted a slow steady stream of micro bubbles for about 3 hours. It looked fantastic. As an engineer we use bubbles like these for checking streamlines on wings n such. So I admit to being a little bent this way.
I have also noticed that since the bubbles have gone in, the fish love to take up residence in the stream for a free spa. I also love to watch the micro bubbles get caught in the water currents and get tossed around the tank,

Once again the air curtains commercially available are not up to my standard They dont create equal amounts of bubbles along their length as the name suggests. But hot spots and I feel the bubbles are too big and thus too fast. Not the slow tranquil thought provoking scene I was after.

Whilst looking for taps in the irrigation section I found some 4mm (ID) "soaker hose". Hmm I wonder?
Sure enough they are heaps better than air curtains.
They have much smaller holes and many more of them. With some control via a tap they can be made to "weep" slowly or bubble away. In both cases they produce equal amounts of bubbles along their entire length. And I tested these at short lengths of 100mm right up to entire tank lengths of 1.2m. I even tried a 600mm circular one around a rock. The rock was surrounded by small slow bubbles.

How to make one.
Soaker hose is purchased in 15 or 20m lengths for about $5. That's allot of curtains. I built many sizes and given them away to friends. End plugs are also available 20 for $5 These are useful as they fit standard air tube too. In fact the airline barbs and aquarium taps and irrigation stuff is all interchangeable So plug in one end, cut to length, barb joiner in the other. Soaker hose full of air floats, so we need some way to keep it in the gravel. Airline suckers hold it down fine as does the plant anchor lead strips which fit neatly down the inside of the soaker hose. Apply weight/suckers to taste.

Tested now for over a month all working as the day they were sunk.
Soaker hose is 60% rubber. I checked various safety/chem notes and it all looked inert but as with all things your gain your risk. All I can say is no weird things in any of 6 tanks so far after about 1 month.

Air stone. Just a note that I love the wooden ones. The finest of micro bubbles. I was able to run the 1.2m soaker hose and the wooden stone on the same line with taps to adjust.

A bit more info here http://mec-symonds.eng.monash.edu.au/twiki/bin/view/Aqua/DIYAquaGadgets
But I need to add photos.

My 5footer
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2379/2242540621_1a81dcb3c8.jpg
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2008 03:26Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
A very interesting, professionally well written article.

Re those wooden air stones they have been around for as long as I can remember I had them in my SW tank. The trouble is they can get an algae on them and clog up extremely fast. Then there is the soft white foam type this also has the same problems. Then I discovered the Ceramic stones these have a very fine bubble and the beauty of these stones they just last. I am still using the same two I purchased 15+ years ago. About every now and then I might take them out and wipe over the outside surface.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2008 04:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
i always loved the look of bbbles, but always been weary or the airstones and etc... i might try a few veramic ones and see if my snails and the algae eater i am going to get will keep it clean!

bubbles lok great and they help the tank in many ways!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2008 05:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mews
-----
Hobbyist
male australia
Thanks for the heads up Keith. I'll have a look around for these ceramic ones. Like most things Im sure there are even good air curtains around but its knowing the manufacture name thats the tricky bit.

Ill keep an eye on the wood for algae and report back.

Meanwhile I was contemplating drilling this rock to see if I can inject it with more air

My 5footer
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2008 07:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Fascinating. I'm curious to see video clips to see them in action.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2008 19:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
The soaker hose does have one problem, (I have had one in the past as an bubble wall.) After a few months the holes will clog up. Then you have to remove it and try to unplug the holes, or just replace it. I ended up going with a non clogging glass air stone, my self.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 17-Mar-2008 21:52Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
mews
-----
Hobbyist
male australia
thanks Jim I kinda expect most things to clog up but so far its been great. No doubt due to the fact that there are so many holes in soaker hose that it will take a while before clogging of some is visible.
Ill await the impending doom

as for pictures and video. Im working on that. so far quick photos havent gone well. I need to set aside some photo shoot time.

My 5footer
Post InfoPosted 19-Mar-2008 23:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FishKeeperJim
----------
Big Fish
Member MTS Anonymous
Kudos: 208
Votes: 186
male usa
From my experience with them you will start to notice after 3-4 months. Try a masonry drill bit for the rock. I have thought about trying it with a lava style myself.

mts.gif" border="0"> I vote do you?
My Tanks at Photobucket
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2008 01:40Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies